• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Revisions Anime Casts Yōko Hikasa, Yukari Tamura, Houchu Ohtsuka

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's not that I was super excited for this but at least I had some hopes this could be a decent sci-fi series... these new cast members pretty much kill any hopes I had for this
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
Christ, the character designs are terrible. The green-haired girl ... it looks like they stacked 2 cotton candies on her head. I'd bet that it will look terrible in motion.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Idk what it is, but there's just something off about this cell shading. Yet when I compare it side by side to hand-drawn, I can't figure out what's missing. At least until the later ones, where the arms and faces look stiff.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
I bet you anything that cute mascot character defects to the good guys' side the first chance he gets once the show's 2/3 of the way through.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
I really hope people don't watch this, Netflix has an issue with picking up CG Anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I really hope people don't watch this, Netflix has an issue with picking up CG Anime.

Personally, I think CG anime should be reserved for action scenes, robots, monsters, cool vehicles, etc. The rest should be that traditional 2D anime.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
I realize that talking about this subject in this forum is going to be a thankless endeavor, but...I think someone should remind several of the forum posters above that character design does not necessarily determine whether a show is good or bad.

There are various examples. Did anyone watch Shiki? Almost every single character had very ugly hair and yet the show was still quite good as a horror piece. Some folks didn't want to watch it, of course, but others still managed to get over that aspect and appreciated the series.

In this case, most of the previously revealed cast looks normal. I am not going to judge a show simply because of a couple of character designs. That doesn't seem reasonable to me. There is no obligation to think otherwise, but the amount of raw prejudice in this thread is impressive in a mildly amusing yet still depressing way.

Something tells me that if these same couple of designs were used for characters in a 2D show, they would not generate as much of a knee jerk reaction. There has been previous discussion about the use of 3D graphics, so I won't be redundant. Suffice to say that I've seen both better and worse. It doesn't bother me.

MarshalBanana wrote:

Your hope will probably become true even if it is an unfair and needlessly petty one. Not literally speaking, but the gist of it.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
I realize that talking about this subject in this forum is going to be a thankless endeavor, but...I think someone should remind several of the forum posters above that character design does not necessarily determine whether a show is good or bad.

Well, the premise of the show seems to be literally "high school chuunis" ala Guilty Crown. That doesn't really sounds promising. Not to mention, dismissing an anime entirely is valid since there's too much anime and too little time to give each of these shows a chance when most of these would just turn out to be some mediocre run-of-the-mill shows like these. Also, it can save you subscription fees or something.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Your hope will probably become true even if it is an unfair and needlessly petty one. Not literally speaking, but the gist of it.
That is a hope that a lot of other people have. In fact I get the feeling that more people dislike CG Anime, then like it.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Well, the premise of the show seems to be literally "high school chuunis" ala Guilty Crown. That doesn't really sounds promising. Not to mention, dismissing an anime entirely is valid since there's too much anime and too little time to give each of these shows a chance when most of these would just turn out to be some mediocre run-of-the-mill shows like these. Also, it can save you subscription fees or something.

I've already seen the series mentioned above, but there isn't much to support the comparison at this point. For instance, I don't think there was any physical/temporal displacement involved in GC. Let alone of an entire population. We both know that high school characters in anime stories with science fiction or supernatural elements have worked as a common starting point for many different series, yes, but that's not enough to reach any firm conclusions. All you can do is determine the genre, at most, and little else. In other words, we'd need something far more specific to make that sort of claim.

Let me clarify the rest of my position here. It's true that most anime will be run-of-the-mill by default. I am not expecting everyone to watch all of the anime available at any given time. That would be rather unreasonable. It's entirely valid to skip this or any other show. It's always fair to avoid a series that doesn't seem to appeal to your interests at a glance.

My issue is with the additional act of choosing to declare that it will be a bad series because you happen to dislike the character designs or animation style. Those statements may make sense as a matter of emotional reaction or personal preference, but they certainly aren't based on actual proof of quality. There are good series with bad designs and bad series with good designs (in fact, I'd say Guilty Crown was one of them since it initially looked appealing on a purely visual level, at least for those who were fans of that aesthetic).

MarshalBanana wrote:

That is a hope that a lot of other people have. In fact I get the feeling that more people dislike CG Anime, then like it.

I wasn't denying that there are still many people who dislike all or most 3D anime. Unless the CG is handled in a very specific way, those shows are already starting with a handicap. In addition, it's simply not a kind thing to say in general. Outside of protests for a strong cause, like an ethical violation, there's no need to say that you "hope" people won't watch something.
Slashman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it. I swear its like most of Animenewsnetwork community has a giant stick up their asses with thorns poking out.

If you're this jaded and put off by a show you haven't even seen maybe anime isn't for you anymore. Go read a book or get some sun...something.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like Concrete Revolutio meets Tokyo Ravens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1