• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
I have a Japanese/English bilingual volume of Adventures of Mini Goddess, published in Japan. Can't remember which box it's in right now, but I'm pretty sure I remember the English translation being licensed from Dark Horse Comics.

Bilingual volumes are totally a thing, and they are totally printed for Japanese markets, for the above reason of being a familiar way for Japanese readers to take in a foreign language.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

That really got me curious, too. It seemed to be a bilingual version Japanese/French even? Is that a regular thning?

I don't know if bilingual manga are a common thing in Japan now. There were some Japanese/English ones made by Kodansha back around 2002, including one Dilbert cartoon one, but I never heard of any that got to the US after that. I had to buy my Ghost in the Shell one here ( US ) off from eBay. I think meiam has it right about translated volumes sold in Japan being for the local educational market.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I want to like this show so bad, but it's just not hitting the mark for me. Maybe the comedic timing is just too fast for me, but I also just can't relate to it at all. I've never worked at a book store, but I worked in a media department for a few years. New release days were... busier, but they happened every week, so we had street dates and restocking shelves down pretty well. If anything, it seems like Honda-san's store is just not very well managed. Laughing

Maybe it's different in Japan, given the crazed Otaku and the sheer number of weekly magazines with popular bonuses, combined with the stores being physically smaller. I also remember Sekaiichi Hatsukoi (of all things) showing how much effort book store employees go through to promote titles regularly... but I'm having a hard time reconciling all of that with my image of a say, a Barnes and Noble employee, setting up a display according to their corporate-issued plan-o-gram. It seems like its a very different culture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alconnow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I couldn’t stop laughing at the Golden Kamuy reference. Honda-san has good taste in manga hahaha
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's worked in a comic/manga store, I can relate. Laughing

Occasionally we do get in people asking for comics in other languages to teach to kids or to learn themselves.

Usually French or Spanish.

But occasionally we even got in Japanese students or others wanting Japanese versions of manga.

But outside of French stuff our selection for the others was really small.

We tried substituting this demand with some actual language training CD/software.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
alconnow wrote:
I couldn’t stop laughing at the Golden Kamuy reference. Honda-san has good taste in manga hahaha

The bags over their faces is a funny touch since most of the time it's just censor bars over the eyes.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I realized at the end of the idol segment this week, that they were probably talking about Ryosuke Yamada in the Assassination Classroom movies (note the octopus on the reverse side), who was also somewhat famously removed from posters for the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist due to licensing issues. So yes, having a photo of him on a bookmark would actually be a pretty big deal.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honda's conversation with an elderly man buying Hakaba Kitarō in the wake of Shigeru Mizuki's death is the show's most heartfelt sequence thus far.

That was sad but sweet!

This show has really been growing on me in the past couple of weeks. Sure, the episodes were foreign customers made weird requests were funny but also got real old real fast, i much prefer the "behind the scenes" stuff which is still funny but also gives us interesting insight into how Japanese bookstores work.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote
This series is so hilarious. Honda san is hands down Saitou Souma's best role yet. He delivers so many different tones and emotions within a single scene.

I hope this will get a second season right after the first one ends.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
So if you can buy French translations of Japanese manga in Japan, do they also sell English translations and other languages? Does this mean that if a title isn't licensed in France, French speakers might be able to import a French translation from Japan?

The Shibuya branch of Animate has a small section dedicated to English-translated manga. I've never looked at it closely but I do recall there being popular series like BLEACH and Naruto available. I've also never looked at the price.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honda claiming to enjoy the movie so much that he almost wet himself also hints that his tastes may be more varied than previously indicated.

I thought the joke was that he was excited by the skeletal framework of the constellations. But maybe it went over my head.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
How rude, the affable guy wasn't a yakuza, he was an EX-yakuza!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This series is so funny! Kind of sad that it'll be released only on DVD packaged with re-releases of the manga. I would have liked a one-disc Blu-ray release, but I guess they want to sell more copies of the manga.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Never gave any thought to watching this show, but that preview image has piqued my interest Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Once the Lance of Longinus is involved, Things Get Serious!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2