• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Run with the Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
All respect to the Prince! I just lost it when they were asking if he was ok and wanted to quit and he just said, "This is how I always run." If he was getting lapped after one lap, how long was he out there running alone? But he didn't quit. Most people would be humiliated to do that in front of an audience, and it's not even something he loves, but he didn't quit. He's got more courage in one of his spindly little arms than an entire team of top-level athletes. He breaks my heart. Smile

Amen to that!

As for Kakeru, he needs to make up his mind about whether or not he really wants to run with this team. Because otherwise it's him who's going to end up being the weak link.

But what this episode really made me curious about and the review didn't mention at all is Haiji's backstory. Plus, he seemed to be in pain during the race which had me quite worried. On the other hand, that top runner seemed to honestly believe in Haiji's ability to lead his team to Hakone.
MF65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
This anime has now cemented itself firmly on the top spot of my favourites this season (maybe even the year!). What an underrated gem! And Haiji... I just love Haiji. He's such a refreshing MC. Can't wait to learn more about his past Smile
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:32 am Reply with quote
I love this last episode it somehow elevated the series even further. the only thing that keeps rubbing me the wrong way is the incongruity of prince's running speed. he freaking did 5k in half an hour, that doesn't look nowhere near as pathetic as the show depicts him. sure 10km/h for 30 min is not a competitive time at all, nonetheless it still is a legitimate jogging nonstop with proper form feat, it isn't dragging yourself after one lap by any means. it feels as if the show is trying to have its cake and eat it, they want to both make prince a punch line while still keeping him not too outclassed by his team mates
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Lauren. This episode hurt to watch, but it was so good with its characterization. With Ouji doing his best and Yuki looking out for everyone else and Kakeru being an asshat, it really hit me in the feelings. I’m bracing myself for things to get worse before they get better, but I can’t wait to see what happens next.

It was such a treat to get another glimpse into Haiji’s head. He’s such an awesome character and I love him dearly. I can’t wait to learn his backstory.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're tackling the problem of Prince obviously not being able to run the race, but I fear that it'll just end with nice platitude like "we'll do it together!". I'd rather the team get together and make a firm decision, do they want to keep the same team knowing they won't make the cut (possibly because one person out of 10 can't do it, although even that would be a stretch) or do they want to seriously try to get into the qualifier?

Personally I never really liked Kakeru, so having him being the bad guy didn't really matters, but ultimately he's not the one who gunning for Hakone. Having Haiji retort to him that speed isn't all that matters when he's the one trying to get into a competition where speed is all that matters is a bit hypocritical. If Haiji only care about the journey and not the destination (ie he doesn't care about whether or not they actually get to run Hakone and only want to train like they are) he should come out and clearly say it.

Imagine you were in Prince position and had actually bough a treadmill to try and increase your time and spend a lot of effort into it, only to not make the cut and Haiji then came out and said to you "yeah I knew you were never gonna make it but I kept pushing you on because it satisfied my desire" you might not get pissed at him, but you'd be right to be if you were.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess this was Kakeru's awkward attempt at trying to lead the team, except that this put him in complete opposition to Haiji instead of actually supporting him...

As for Prince, he's not stupid, he knows he's a lot slower than the other guys and i'm sure he's very much aware that it will be very hard for him to qualify. Still, he's made up his mind and he's decided to go for it and give it his all and the same goes for the others.

Hakone Ekiden is a team race, so it's important that everyone has the same goal and is supporting each other. Kakeru is only obsessed with setting records and considers everybody else an obstacle, so as fast as he may be, he's the least qualified for going to Hakone at this point if you ask me...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The whole treadmill thing was hilarious, from acquisition to use. But I think it's time they put Prince on a training program to build some muscle and not just his endurance. His running style wastes so much of the little energy he has, that if he got even a little more toned overall, he could improve his form and thereby his stamina exponentially (though I'd miss his Abnormal Titan crawl, I'd be happy to see him suffer less).
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, this latest episode upset me not because Kakeru was a jerk (which he totally was, no sugar coating that), but because it clearly is trying to make us side with Haiji, and I just can't do that. Kakeru had no right to get openly upset at everyone (especially when he is obviously pushing himself too hard) and then ask Prince to quit the team if he didn't improve, but... where he's coming from is not wrong. Haiji is leading everyone to believe that they are going to Hakone, but it is impossible for Prince to make it - he would have to over halve his time. That just doesn't happen. If Haiji just wanted to have fun with everyone and enjoy running together, then great! Problem solved! But that's not it - he has a goal, a very lofty one at that, and he's telling everyone that they can do it when at the very least it is clearly impossible for one of them.

Kakeru is upset because he is taking Haiji's goal seriously (even if going about it in all the wrong ways) when Haiji himself is not. If Haiji doesn't know that Prince can't make it, then Haiji is a fool, frankly. I know this is anime and the rule of "friendship and teamwork are stronger than anything" is in play, but it seems like it is at least making attempts to be somewhat "realistic" (or at least no one has actual running specific super powers yet that we know of, lol), so if they do end up playing that card and allowing Prince to get that significantly better, then I will be severely disappointed. I'm sure I'll be on the minority side of that, but, well, maybe it's because once upon a time I was a distance runner, and I know exactly how hard it is and that not everyone can do it, no matter how much work they put into it. Guess it just hits a bit of a personal note.

So, yeah, I have to respectfully disagree with some of the sentiments in the review. This made me like Haiji even less. Because at the end of the day this IS a competitive sport about speed. There is no getting around the fact that you need a fast time - no wise-sounding quote about taking the train is going to change that. And if Haiji's genuine goal was to reach Hakone, then he's gonna need a lot more speed from everyone. If that's NOT his true goal and all he really wants is for everyone to enjoy working hard together, then he really needs to tell Kakeru at least, because not telling him is what is causing his outbursts. This is why he thinks he is taking it more seriously than everyone else; he is prioritizing the goal that Haiji says he believes in, and it's obvious that Prince - as much as I do well and truly love his character, I assure you! - has no part in that outside of anime BS. Telling Kakeru that he knows it's not realistic should calm him down (though, again, he shouldn't be being a jerk anyway - that's completely on him).

(I'm still really enjoying the show, by the way, though this post may not make it seem like it, lol. I am just furiously crossing my fingers that they don't pull the whole "See? Haiji was right all along! All it takes is hard work and friendship and even YOU could reach Hakone!" card along the way, though episodes like this make me think they might. Personally I am hoping for a more "realistic" conclusion.)
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I have to differ with the general opinion of kakeru's characterization, he didn't strike me as a villain at all, he was coarse granted but to be honest his aptitude was actually much needed as a reality check for Haiji at this point, Haiji didn't ask (with black mail and all) for the guys to join a fun and jiggles recreational running club, he asked them to perform in a top tier national competition . he might have confronted kakeru about whether speed was all that matter to him, but that rings as hypocritical when he unilaterally dictated the ekiden as THE goal without consulting anyone else in the group (he could have formed the running club then decided which kind of race speed or long distance, and in what level each wanted to participate), he can't criticize kakeru for forcing his expectations on others when deep down it has all been about himself.

Lauren reasonably says this was a spot on line

Quote:
“Is speed the only thing that matters to you? Then there's no reason to run. Ride a bullet train. They're faster.”

but in my opinion the one that really addresses the situation was the one kakeru responded with "then should I sit and wait one year for the rest to catch up?" because realistically speaking even one year shouldn't be enough for them to be dexterous and fit enough for that competition. The real problem the team is facing is that Haiji wants to have its cake and eat it, he wants for everyone to keep it reasonably fun while still expecting (or at least publicly stating) to qualify for that competition, which again would be possible ... in two years or so.

on another note, could some one please clarify to me how much time has progressed since the team started practicing?, I know this is anime and all but the routine Haiji is giving them is far too advanced and demanding for people with less than 6 months of dedicated practice, further in, the time of everyone but prince seems way too good (yes, even though they didn't qualify) for such a short amount of time training, even for the ones that have the alleged athletic background Haiji claims. prince has the opposite issue, his time is believable for just a couple months but, and I have said it previously, that "noncompetitive" time still doesn't look nowhere near as pathetic in practice as the anime depicts it. no one is gonna achieve running at 10k/h for 30 min while flailing his arms as a deformed titan, I would buy him being that spend in the last couple minutes but never after just 8% of the distance (as the previous episode showed) and still achieve that time
AA751

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The fact that I see people take sides on who was right and wrong between Haiji and Kakeru shows me how complex this show is. I am pretty confident the show is going to resolve the issues have with both characters but its not going to be a quick fix. But to me the slow burn drama reveals is what makes the anime especially interesting.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Gwydion wrote:
I'll be honest, this latest episode upset me not because Kakeru was a jerk (which he totally was, no sugar coating that), but because it clearly is trying to make us side with Haiji, and I just can't do that.
(...)

Kakeru is upset because he is taking Haiji's goal seriously (even if going about it in all the wrong ways) when Haiji himself is not.

(...)

So, yeah, I have to respectfully disagree with some of the sentiments in the review. This made me like Haiji even less. Because at the end of the day this IS a competitive sport about speed. There is no getting around the fact that you need a fast time - no wise-sounding quote about taking the train is going to change that. And if Haiji's genuine goal was to reach Hakone, then he's gonna need a lot more speed from everyone. If that's NOT his true goal and all he really wants is for everyone to enjoy working hard together, then he really needs to tell Kakeru at least, because not telling him is what is causing his outbursts.

how about that, just as I was writing my post, some one else do a better job than me at expressing my point, I am with you bro, even if in a less eloquent manner. also

Quote:
I'm sure I'll be on the minority side of that, but, well, maybe it's because once upon a time I was a distance runner, and I know exactly how hard it is and that not everyone can do it, no matter how much work they put into it. Guess it just hits a bit of a personal note.

what I coincidence, except that I only picked (recreational) distance running 2 years ago and am still at it. still, I feel you
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
AA751 wrote:
The fact that I see people take sides on who was right and wrong between Haiji and Kakeru shows me how complex this show is. I am pretty confident the show is going to resolve the issues have with both characters but its not going to be a quick fix. But to me the slow burn drama reveals is what makes the anime especially interesting.

Well that's the rosy expectation, but at some point the show will have to take a stance and it'll take very good writing to make it work so what may well happen instead is that Prince will magically improve enough that he'll be able to run fast enough to get the time needed, which would throw the entire debate out the window and make a mockery of it. Otherwise I think a lot of person who like the usual "friendship is magic" moral will be disappointed.

I still think ultimately the resolution will be that they'll just run the distance without being part of the official race and everyone will be happy about this and there won't be much talk about it. Better than the magical version, but I doubt Haiji will ever have to answer for his action.
AA751

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well to be fair, I've seen the film so I know how it ends...but unlike the film this is a series so the journey will be more leisurely and address more details, but I have confidence it will be just as satisfying.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Lauren reasonably says this was a spot on line
Quote:
“Is speed the only thing that matters to you? Then there's no reason to run. Ride a bullet train. They're faster.”

but in my opinion the one that really addresses the situation was the one kakeru responded with "then should I sit and wait one year for the rest to catch up?" because realistically speaking even one year shouldn't be enough for them to be dexterous and fit enough for that competition. The real problem the team is facing is that Haiji wants to have its cake and eat it, he wants for everyone to keep it reasonably fun while still expecting (or at least publicly stating) to qualify for that competition, which again would be possible ... in two years or so.

Likewise, glad to hear I'm not alone in this! Liked this point of your's especially - when I first heard Haiji's line, I admit I hyper-focused in on it because it's hypocrisy irritated me, so I hadn't even remembered Kakeru had said the one you mentioned. Excellent point! The bits you brought up near the end about everyone's times and Prince's running style being unrealistic were also something that bothered me initially, but those I admit I got over pretty quickly as, being an anime, there has to be some area for suspension of disbelief, otherwise I'll end up nitpicking everything and not enjoying myself. Still, nice to hear someone else bring it up, too!
MiloTheFirst wrote:
on another note, could some one please clarify to me how much time has progressed since the team started practicing?

I don't know exactly, but in episode 5 the meet was dated at 4/29, and the times they had written down (taken in episode 4) were from 4/11. So while they did start a little before that, it hasn't been long at all. I thought they said somewhere about a month's time, but I don't remember where. Hakone is apparently in early January, and I think the qualifier is in October, so even if we said they started at the beginning of April and the qualifier was at the end of October, that's still only 7 months total.
MiloTheFirst wrote:
what I coincidence, except that I only picked (recreational) distance running 2 years ago and am still at it. still, I feel you

Man, it's been a long time for me, but watching this anime makes me want to pick it up again. I'm definitely out of shape for it, but getting back into it would certainly do me some good!
AA751 wrote:

I love a good slow burn drama! And I admit it makes me feel a bit better hearing from someone who's seen a version of it that you feel both characters' issues will be resolved. So far the anime has been leaning toward the "Haiji is right, Kakeru is wrong" angle enough that it was making me nervous that the issue might have a black and white stance at the end, leaving one side satisfied and the other to "learn" something from it all. Kakeru definitely has a ways to grow, but so does Haiji, and I hope the show acknowledges both sides in the end.
AA751

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
One of the things I will say that I don't think people have noticed about Haiji is that all the tenants other than the first years have a prior relationship with Haiji. Haiji helped Musa get his job, Nico pointed out to Kakeru that Haiji is reliable and whatever he sets out to do he accomplishes and he feels he has a debt toHaiji. These guys know Haiji, and like him...

So factor that in when you consider Haiji character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13