• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bloom Into You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
your fly is down

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
i want to give my two cents on sayakas midle school love
her senpai probably didn't "grow out " of being homosexual but rather was subject to subvert bullying during their time apart.
her way of talking to sayaka was very dismissive and full of inability to make eye contact which shows either denial or a sense of self dissatisfaction.
i believe she probably opened up about her crush on sayaka with the wrong group of people and they somehow convinced her she was weird and playing around as a kid. she then took this as rejection of her personality as copied it over to anyone who asked her about her middle school crush.
i say this because even i have been subject to subvert brainwashing where the rhetoric of homosexual feelings being relegated to simply copying what one saw on TV or worse a mental condition as basic knowledge. i then became just like sayakas senpai and told off anyone who approached me as being childish and "in a phase"
whatever happened to her senpai could very well be made into an episode in of itself and i think it would add to the whole atmosphere of homophobia we see in real life but is doled down in bloom into you.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
^In all likelihood, there probably wasn't any bullying or any other precipitating event that caused Sayaka's senpai to act like that. That idea of being a lesbian being just a "phase" is, or at least was, so ingrained in Japanese society that that sort of romance is a genre unto itself, the Class S that others have referred. You don't need any bullies to tell you how things "really" are when society has been doing that the whole time.
your fly is down

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
i get that but how her senpai went from loving someone to just dismissing the notion all together could have been very interesting. because the whole alienation of homosexuality as "the other" is just as much an issue as young teens discovering sexuality.
although you are right in that it would likely play out as a class S story type rather than telling us anything new. loving the series as a whole so far. especially since its one that is more literal in its story than YKA which was metaphorical to the max (although i loved that part of it)
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
The following isn't really a "spoiler" per se, but I'm talking about the manga so I figured I'll do this out of courtesy.

spoiler[There's an interlude scene in the manga that technically happens later but would have fit in this episode quite well (the scene where Touko gets a recipe and sleeping picture of Yuu from Yuu's sister also happened later in the manga, so there's already precedent). While I would have liked to see it animated (and it might just happen later), at first I was thinking it was cute, but not really all that important. However, after reading this review, it might actually have been more important than I was giving it credit for, which makes it a bit of a shame that it was (probably) not animated. I'll describe it under the next spoiler.]

spoiler[Sayaka is waiting for Touko at the train station when she bumps into that old senpai of hers. Senpai tries to apologize for making Sayaka not "normal." This prompts a pretty dirty look from Sayaka. Touko arrives and Sayaka grabs her arm all couple-like, basically to give off the impression in a pretty smug manner that she does, in fact, still like girls. (This is just a quick summary, of course, there's more to the scene than this)]

Love this series, loving these weekly reviews. Keep it up!

That was one of my favourite scenes in the manga, the definitive "freek you" spoiler[to Genre S]. Let's see if it returns at a later episode.
arahman61

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think it would be worthwhile to remind that the first volume of the Sayaka sidestory Light Novel is out now in Japan. It does over Sayaka's past, including her romance with the senpai.

https://bookwalker.jp/de3a55347f-b947-42dc-b828-d19fd617467d/
https://twitter.com/xMondlichtchanx/status/1060938318697979904
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
^Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this, arahman. Very Happy I was not aware Bloom into You had a novel side story. I wonder if this book would get license.

. . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Bloom Into You has been slow and meandering in its build-up, in keeping with the title. That's made it hard to get into sometimes, since Yuu and Touko just don't have the burning passion between them that makes other fictional couples pull at your heartstrings. They're getting there though, from the new first-name basis to Yuu's gentle teasing this week.

I think so as long there is still progress being made its fine no matter how long it takes. Perhaps that is why I am not bother by the pace of this story. It was never at the point it kept dragging itself which is something I can’t say for some stories (looking at you Dragonball Z).

Quote:
I really hope this isn't the last we see of Miyako the Lesbian Mentor, because these girls need her.

Given the fact Miyako is in the ending sequence with everyone else, the revelation she is romantically with another woman, and she is the owner of a restaurant the student council frequents I would say the chances are good that this would not be the last we see of her. After all it’s a common thing for bar tenders to listen to their customers and offer some advice. That seems to be the case in stories that feature characters who own establishments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, only five episodes to go? I’m going to miss this series... until I can buy it on blu-Ray and watch it again. There’s still a fairly hefty amount of story to catch up to the manga, but so far it’s been spot on (and, as noted, improved in some cases).

I’m going to guess that most of next episode is going to be the sports festival, which should be fun. It has one of my favorite Yuu moments in the series.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
The following isn't really a "spoiler" per se, but I'm talking about the manga so I figured I'll do this out of courtesy.

spoiler[There's an interlude scene in the manga that technically happens later but would have fit in this episode quite well (the scene where Touko gets a recipe and sleeping picture of Yuu from Yuu's sister also happened later in the manga, so there's already precedent). While I would have liked to see it animated (and it might just happen later), at first I was thinking it was cute, but not really all that important. However, after reading this review, it might actually have been more important than I was giving it credit for, which makes it a bit of a shame that it was (probably) not animated. I'll describe it under the next spoiler.]

spoiler[Sayaka is waiting for Touko at the train station when she bumps into that old senpai of hers. Senpai tries to apologize for making Sayaka not "normal." This prompts a pretty dirty look from Sayaka. Touko arrives and Sayaka grabs her arm all couple-like, basically to give off the impression in a pretty smug manner that she does, in fact, still like girls. (This is just a quick summary, of course, there's more to the scene than this)]

Love this series, loving these weekly reviews. Keep it up!

Lol! I spoke too soon. It was at the start of the next episode.

Another amazing episode.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Still, I also feel it would have been 10x stronger if they put the beginning part with Sayaka and made it a coda for last week's episode. Granted last week's episode was pretty packed so there probably wasn't any time.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So Yuu decides to be the one to reach out by inviting Sayaka to get food with her at "Y'Donald's," which might be the weirdest anime variation on "McDonald's" I've seen yet.

It's weirder than that as it's actually Y'dDonald's

Admittedly it is partially obscured in most shots, aside from this diagonal one, which is a little hard to see.

Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
Sigh, only five episodes to go? I’m going to miss this series... until I can buy it on blu-Ray and watch it again.

As well as/or Troyca decides to adapt the rest of the manga and make a season 2+. Wink

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Sayaka—likely emboldened by her new friendship with Miyako—does what every self-respecting lesbian should do in this situation and rub it in her old girlfriend's face. As Touko rounds the corner, Sayaka grabs her and pretends that they're together. Normally, I'd be skeeved out by this deception, but I think Sayaka's doing it for a good cause.

After that happen a song titled Sweet Victory sung by David Glen Eisley (or Spongebob in that one episode titled Band Geeks),was playing in my head. That was an "in your face" moment for Sayaka and I am proud for her. Anime smile

Quote:
So Yuu decides to be the one to reach out by inviting Sayaka to get food with her at "Y'Donald's," which might be the weirdest anime variation on "McDonald's"

I know right!? Out of all the names Nio Nakatani or Troyca could have come up with to replace the name McDonalds it's this one. Anime smile + sweatdrop I don't get right why this has to be a thing for McDonalds since being feature in a anime would be like free advertisement for them, but whatever.

Quote:
But what sells the scene most is Michiru Oshima's score, which was already playing at the top of its game throughout the show. Bloom Into You uses music so masterfully because it also uses the score sparingly. The only time the music plays much this week is during the scenes focusing on relationships, whether they're platonic (Sayaka's with the main two) or romantic (between Yuu and Touko). It tells us things the script can't without being too obvious, like the playful melody during the Yuu-Sayaka scene showing that they're finally getting along. In Yuu and Touko's scenes, the swell of the notes underlines their budding romance.

I never notice that until now as I am usually focus on the story. That is amazing this show can utilize the power of music like that. It certainly does beat having music and background noise play just about all the time (like it was the case with much, if not all, of the 4kids dubs of anime shows).

Quote:
I've said in the past that I had trouble emotionally connecting to Yuu and Touko's romance, but I think this episode finally fixed that problem. It was hard during their rainy day scene not to feel your heart beat along with the romantic music, straining for those two to touch more every time the camera panned to their hands. As Yuu's feelings get more and more obvious, I'm finally as invested as Bloom Into You wants me to be.

I'm glad for you. Anime smile It took eight episodes to get there.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I notice in this episode that the hydrangeas and the colors they come in kept bringing brought up. Enough so that it's like the episode is telling us something, and being someone who tends to notice the underlying of things (because my mind has more of a intuitive preference) as well as am familiar with a type of communication known as the Language of Flowers I decided to look into this a bit.

While hydrangeas have many meanings the one meaning they are commonly known for, and I believe this story is going with, is the meaning of heartfelt feelings whether they be of joy, sorrow, and/or gratitude. Furthermore hydrangeas of certain colors have particular meanings, and it seems that with Bloom into You there are two colors that the story seems particularly focus on (even ever since the opening sequence), and those colors are pink and blue. Pink hydrangeas represent love (most likely perhaps philia or affectionate love) and all that comes with it including weddings, marriages, and again heartfelt emotions while blue hydrangeas represent frigidity, which is when a women does not respond to sexual intercourse, but other meanings behind blue hydrangeas include turning down a romantic proposal, asking for forgiveness, and regret. I suspect this ties into Yuu and Touko in some way; especially with what we have seen so far in the story with how they behave towards each other as well as in the beginning of the opening sequence we see both a pink and blue petal land on what it clearly their hands (as to which hand those petal lands on is a mystery since we do not see their faces).

I am still thinking on this idea, but I thought to share what I had so far. If the story is using the language of flowers for it's narrative then I think that is a good idea on the part of Nio; especially given the title and it's use on metaphor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
I think hydrangea colors were just supposed to represent the characters since we got 3 colors for 3 girls, paired in all three possible combinations.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Did they move that Maki conversation? It leans more into his asexuality than the voyeurism side of things, which was nice, but I feel like it showed up somewhere else in the manga.

I really enjoyed the animation in this episode - it felt really floppy and all over the place but in a good way. Koyomi had some amazing expressions during sports day.

Ah Yuu. The ending scene is my favorite scene in the manga (so far), where it really makes things super clear, although the race did the heavy lifting in this version. I prefer the manga just because the static nature of print lets you savour the dialogue more and Yuu admitting, sort of, about her heartbeat is such a great moment.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
Did they move that Maki conversation? It leans more into his asexuality than the voyeurism side of things, which was nice, but I feel like it showed up somewhere else in the manga.

I think that what's changed is that in the manga they talk while walking outside.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up, what a lovely show.

My impressions so far is that I think Yuu for the most part is asexual, but where her being asexual doesn't shield her from the feelings of loneliness. That lack of physical attraction is thus eating away at her. However, since she's nice, she doesn't want to be with anyone that wants those feelings to be returned, thus reject anyone out of consideration towards their feelings. This lack of egocentrism would and could destroy her, and when Nanami plays her cards like she has, that kindness suddenly got turned into making Yuu want to stay with her.

I kind of believe these relationships exist more commonly in reality than we care to admit, as relationships that isn't based on love is taboo in the West. This doesn't make the relationship political, but the chemistry isn't there initially, and it grows into something more of a strong friendship, at least from Yuu's perspective. Now one might want to consider that love at some stage, even if it doesn't reflect that of Nanami's or Saeki's pure chemical reaction, but those chemical reactions are usually just nature's way of making lovers meet rather than stick together.

All of this would fit nicely into the whole "Bloom Into You" setting, like a flower isn't attracted to a bee, a butterfly or a hummingbird specifically, but to the fact that they're attracted to the flower alone. It wouldn't matter to her what creature came to her, as long as she isn't left alone and that she got the feeling of tying them down. Yuu would thus grow feelings and appreciation to anyone who would be able to play on those notes correctly (perhaps).

Nanami on the other side seems to have a bit of a darker side. The Death glare of last episode, and how she wants Yuu to stay how she is, this seems to reflect something deeper. Her not wanting Yuu to return her feelings isn't an uncommon attraction. Perhaps it's "You want that of which you can't have". If so, this would be a bit sad, as it would quickly turn into a "player" type of game, where she would discard/feel less attracted towards Yuu the moment she feels she's conquered her.

However, it might also be the fact that she's a masochist, which is pretty taboo for girls, which would explain why she'd want to cover it up. She would then enjoy being humiliated, picked on or being acted "cold towards" by Yuu. That said, even if this would make the love story more likely to receive a happy ending, her previous story doesn't necessarily seem to reflect this, and how she desperately wants to be like her sister, a women with grace and beauty. To parry this yet again, one could argue that that's how all of her family expect her to be, and that it's the "societal" pressured for her to be perfect and "at the front", while she only wants to be normal. The initial attraction towards Yuu would in this case be more from the actions of how Yuu left her adorer hanging before cutting him off right in front of her. It could also be darker, with some trauma we've yet to see the depths of. Maybe Yuu and Nanami's relationship is close to what Nanami and her sister had, in which case I worry about Nanami and if her mental state can take this as their relationship evolves past the point that she would "lose her sister again", though this would be but speculation.

Saeki is by far the one who's struggling with her lesbian attractions the most and feels that it perhaps isn't accepted. Pretty much everyone in the show didn't pay it any attention when they figured out there were girl's finding other girls attractive. Thus I don't think "society's pressure" holds much weight on Nanami and Yuu (Nanami even says it openly). Yuu's sister, her boyfriend, Mako, their homeroom teacher, the cafeteria lady, Nanami's female confessions (and Nanami by proxy), all of them seem to be positive about all of it. However, Saeki's first love seem to have struck insecurity into her, though her attraction seem to be pretty straight forward when she's asked about the most important part of Nanami: "Uhm, I don't know, the face?" as seen in the last episode. It seems to be a pretty straight forward physical attraction that has evolved into something more as she's stayed close to Nanami.

In short though, I feel the reviewers conclusion is a bit simplistic that they're all "just figuring out they're gay and are confused teenagers" (paraphrasing of course). I think this story is deeper than that, at least for Yuu and Nanami. That's my breakdown of the 3 characters anyways, and I think they all come into this from drastically different angles, which makes their relationships pretty interesting to map out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8