• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - How Can I Preserve My Aging Manga Collection?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice article, Deb.

I can throw in a couple of tips:

1) If you need plastic for protecting your manga the best is mylar. It lasts longer and does not leach chemicals like many other kinds of plastic can do.

2) Be wary of Damp-Rid. It does absorb moisture, which is a good thing, but it is also acidic, which is a very bad thing. I know many people who collect antiques and/or rare firearms, and those have moisture concerns too. Damp-Rid is not used because it causes nearby metal to rust, which suggests the vapors are acidic like the product itself is. I would avoid it being anywhere near anything you intend to preserve long-term or are concerned about yellowing, rusting, etc. Silica Gel is safe. Damp-Rid is not.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
All this advice is excellent and lines up with what I learned working in the Library when I was at University in the late 70's.

I wince when I think of Books ( and almost anything else ) that get stored in Garages or Attics. My manga is stored on bookshelves, upright & not too tightly fitted, in my Study which is also kept from direct sunlight and temperature / humidity fluctuations.

Mark Gosdin
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this article! I knew about some of these tips, but not others. Will keep them in mind as my (already large) manga collection grows.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
This is why I only buy digital, when I can. Still bummed I can't get Gunda, The Origin digitally, or Spirit Circle or Azumanga.
yonikin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Avoid storing your books that are already starting to yellow away from your newer books and books you especially want to preserve.

Shouldn’t it be the opposite?
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
And now I became seriously worried that my manga will be unreadable when I'm retired and actually have time to re-read my 1000+ collection.... Rolling Eyes

Bookshelves are obvious, but it's hard to manage humidity, temperature and sun light in a studio apartment at 40+ Celsius (100 fahren) in the summer and near freezing in the winter...
And I hate digital manga. Ha ha ha...
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
yonikin wrote:
Quote:
Avoid storing your books that are already starting to yellow away from your newer books and books you especially want to preserve.
Shouldn’t it be the opposite?

Yeah, I was thinking about that sentence as well.....
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:32 am Reply with quote
I can't take my collection with me to the grave and chances are that whoever inherits it is just going to throw the whole thing into a dumpster, so I've stopped worrying about this.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Two words - Microchamber Paper

This is an asset when dealing with paper. Ideally, you should stick in a small sheet of paper (cut it to fit the dimensions of the manga) every few pages. That can get expensive and time consuming though. Art preservation takes time. If the book has been signed by the mangaka, I would recommend putting some MC paper on both sides of that, assuming you don't want to just separate the page from the rest of the book and store it elsewhere.

I also recommend buying mylar bags for paper items. Make sure that you keep a portion of it open, either by buying the non-sealable bags or cutting a corner off a bag. This allows the item to breathe, and will allow any gases to escape.

Realize, though, that these manga are not meant to last 50+ years. If they were, the publishers would have used higher quality paper, ink and glue. There's only so much you can do.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I’ve often wondered how to protect my collection, so these tips were a nice start.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
It sad when manga yellows. We've bought manga and I've actually watched it turn yellow sitting on a cart before it got to the shelves. But I have some manga on my shelves at my home and they haven't yellowed it might be the paper. But circulation is important to keep them from yellowing. Those new AOT books are printed on quality paper so no yellowing anytime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1