• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YuudiHoshi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
alconnow wrote:
I can’t stop laughing at how Sale’s stand name was changed to Arts & Crafts...
I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the stand name changes

We already know a fair portion of them since they're directly taken from the JoJo ASB & EoH game translations
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So far it seems as though I'm just going to like everything Golden Wind does. The thrills have been astonishingly reliable, and even the aspects I was ready to brush off, like most of the Passione gang, have really come through.

Considering every part has always had solid to great main casts, I'm not sure what it was about Part 5 that would have made you doubt Araki there. I know Part 5 has this weird relationship with the American fans, but from what I understand, none of that ever had to do with the main cast.

Edit: Apart from Giorno, who some people say is boring, but as of now that couldn't be further from the truth.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, i'll probably never get used to just how awfully awkaward some of the Stand's name changes are...but well, another great episode, i felt for that poor truck driver, though. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Hasn't this bridge already been crossed with the Diamond is Unbreakable live action movie? We don't really need to imagine what a live action Jojo would look like, one way or the other.

I guess I forgot about that, but Diamond leans pretty heavily on retro high school uniform fashion. But even so, Jotaro looks pretty absurd in his white outfit, and Japan seems to be able to get away with a lot more wtf than Hollywood. Smile
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
La Squadra Esecuzioni are great foils to the Team Bucciarati and provide the best part of the arc. It's shame they aren't the real antagonists of Part 5 rather than the Boss who half of Golden Wind's story problems can be pinned on him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Killing somebody by shrinking a car, putting it in their drink, expanding it, and also killing their date is... it was horrific, and yet kind of funny. As opposed to being sent pieces of your friend preserved, which was just horrifying.

I guess the execution squad's beef is that they don't get paid as much as the drug pushers or gambling runners? One would think they'd be paid more, given that you risk more doing that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Once again, I am enjoying Part 5 way more than I ever thought I would. It's still too early to tell, but this might be my favorite part yet.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
The community scores for the last several episodes have been very questionable imo. I usually don't pay attention to them, but the fact that this episode is now the lowest rated so far(currently at a 3.3) seems very off. I don't know if there's a way to game the system, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Also noticing the same trend on other shows as well, so it's not just JoJo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12,

This episode should have been named "when everyone is yelling warnings at you, just ignore them and keep doing what you're doing".

A "Get away from the mirror! There's a guy in it! It's not crazy because we've been fighting stand users for the past several episodes with all sorts of weird abilities!"
B "Nah, we're good, we'll just stand here asking why you're yelling"

A "That's purple haze, it's dangerous, get away from it"
B "Why would I do that, I think I'll just stand here".
A "No! you seriously want to get as far away from it as you can! Look at how I'm panicking, even though I'm normally calm and collected, that should tell you how scary that shit is!"
B "Nah, I'm gonna look at this mirror over there next to purple haze some more".
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
To see Purple Haze animated is a dream come true
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
So what David Pro did with Fugo's backstory is interesting... In the manga, we just got a very general summary of it courtesy of Illuso (High IQ, went to collage at young age to study law, beat up his professor and had his life go down the toilet after that until he met Bruno.) So the anime basically freely interpreted that broad outline into the most effectively dramatic version possible.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't count on that hand remaining severed considering their boss' stand is literally about making zippers.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Its a good thing for Giorno that his animals are no longer impervious to harm.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
I loooooved this arc, and not just because Fugo and Purple Haze are so wonderful to watch in action, or because seeing Pompeii in an anime was a really sick aesthetic. I just thought it encapsulates so many fun things about Jojo. The review called them “generic trappings” which I guess is valid but the crazy wacky stand fights, cocky villains, insane logic and tactics, and super satisfying beat downs made this so much fun to watch. Helps that Giorno, Abbacchio and Fugo were just a hell of a group to chuck together, and all contributed in great ways to fighting Illuso.

Illuso coming off as a random part 3 mook I don’t really see though, his overall importance not withstanding I thought he spoke for himself. Part 5 has done a pretty great job so far making La Squadra Esecuzioni villains with actual goals, reason and motivations for doing what they’re doing, rather than Part 3’s style of “paid off by Dio” villains. Formaggio was plenty fun to watch and Illuso continued that, yeah his best scene is probably when he gets turned into a puddle by Purple Haze, but I enjoyed watching him and Michael Jackson, and almost felt bad when the poor bastard was liquified. Plus really, ultimately these guys and Giorno/Bruno have the same goal, taking out the boss. Their methods and reasons differ and that’s part of what makes these guys all so interesting.

Looking forward to seeing where the show picks up from after the break. I know a vague idea of how the manga goes, but I’m wondering if David Pro will surprise us a little more. They’ve done super well with that so far after all!
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
I agree with how nicely the anime has been done. I was expecting to have a good time with the stand battles, but they added just enough backstory to make the characters distinct without getting boring.

The thing I actually was most worried about was censorship. Considering how gruesome some of these fights were and that it was not always handled that well in part 3. Luckily, it seems that fear was unfounded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14