• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Gridman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Rather than Akane feeling more into working with Alexis from Anti's failure of creating his own, I wonder if she will falter a bit, seeing Alexis as more manipulative of her than she thought. I kind of had the feeling that Akane would consider that her room is a place just for her, and Alexis seemingly to allow Anti in there, without even telling her, shows him as on her side as she thought.
Cab329

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Rather than Akane feeling more into working with Alexis from Anti's failure of creating his own, I wonder if she will falter a bit, seeing Alexis as more manipulative of her than she thought. I kind of had the feeling that Akane would consider that her room is a place just for her, and Alexis seemingly to allow Anti in there, without even telling her, shows him as on her side as she thought.

I could see it going either way. I think it will go with her becoming more devoted and aggressive with her actions as she starts to fear that Alexis will make her go back to the real world. I’m guessing Alexis told her she was special and the only one he could trust or be willing to serve. Since he let Anti in, she could start questioning her place and become withdrawn even in the virtual world and just focus on making Kaiju.

On the other hand, I could see her backing away from Alexis and trying to get out of it..only to double down on making Kaiju after her attempt to go to the leads for support fails or Alexis reveals he can take direct control of her If necessary since she’s been in the virtual world for so long.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Great, how is Kilokhan going to make communism in outerspace if outerspace doesn't exist here?

Okay, I always thought Akane was an evil harlot that should get what's coming to her, but drinking straight out of the jug!? While being a guest at another person's house!? What are you, a savage!? That's punishable by dead, lady! BY DEATH!

If Anti's footprints and the mention that he was able to enter Akane's room to make kaiju was any indication, then that probably debunks the theory that Akane's room is in the real world. Unless it wasn't actually Anti's footprints and that was all a misdirection.

Still waiting for Yuta to not have a personality like a styrofoam cup, guys. It's already episode 7.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Reina Ueda ASMR is something I never know I wanted until that bed scene. That is seduction done right, you don't need boob flashes and panty shots, just a sexy voice and rubbing a pillow.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Great, how is Kilokhan going to make communism in outerspace if outerspace doesn't exist here?

Well it is a Trigger anime. Something tells me the final battle will take place in the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
This show really turned into something special so quickly. I pray it sticks the landing, my usual fear with all anime, because it has been such a fun trip so far. I loved the clever out of the box solution to the festival dilemma by the team and the epic full Gridman transformation and throw down.

Then balance that with all the character building. Rikka goes through all that trouble sticking up for Akane and then has the bomb dropped that she’s just acting the way she was designed. That felt particularly brutal after everything we’ve been through.

It really makes it especially satisfying when the team sticks it to Akane. You have a great villain and you root for the heroes twice as hard. Man, I wish we’d had shows half this good when I was a kid. Eh, that’s probably why I’m here still...
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. I love how blatantly evil Akane is being while at the same time I just wanted to give Rikka a hug by the end.

I love the way Rikka tried to resist Akane by trying to apologizing to Utsumi (since it’s completely unlogical for her to apologize when Utsumi was in the wrong and therefore she’s going against her character. It’s one of those small things that shows her trying to rebel but not wanting to do anything too drastic. She doesn’t even try to scream at Akane or push her away, so when she fails to even do that small bit of rebellion at the end and Utsumi apologizes first, despite there being a pause where she could have done it, it was heartbreaking.

I am wondering how Rikka will resolve it. I could see it happen with Rikka slapping Akane, showing that she is no longer bound...or resisting within the confines of the limits Akane placed on her (for example, Akane goes off to meet Alexis and Rikka grabs her in an embrace. She’s not hurting Akane but she’s also preventing her from going back home)

I do worry for the characters we met. Gridman and the Neon Genesis Junior High crew will be fine but the digital Yuta Rikka Utsumi and Anti could be destroyed when the city goes. There is a way for them to go to the real world if the old Gridman rules apply (in the original show it was possible for a monster to actually tear into the real world in addition to causing havoc that impacted the real world) but I don’t think they’d go for that ending. I’m pretty sure Rikka at least has a real world counterpart (considering Akane gave special attention to her, I still standby my theory that Akane and her were close but something happened that caused a divide between them in the real world),

Only 4 episodes left and I’m biting my nails. I wish it was Saturday already!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Waiting anxiously for Anti to join with the heroes, and still absolutely loving the Mom and Neon Genesis interactions. Akane was also extremely good this episode, but then again she usually is.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:37 am Reply with quote
Any chance in the next review, you'll be addressing the accusations of plagiarism Obari has made about this recent episode?
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
Before watching it, SSSS Gridman definitely turned into something I did not expect with a tone and atmosphere and style all its own. That said, I hope there's more to the show than presented, because as much as I enjoyed most episodes to this point (and I would like to make it perfectly clear that I very much did enjoy them), I can't see myself watching it more than once. I feel there's really nothing in it for me to see or re-'feel' (so to speak) on a second watching.

Seeing Akane sad makes me happy, the evil harpy. Still wondering about a ton of questions though, like where Gridman and the Neon Genesis students came from (as in their origins in this world), how Akane got the power to remake this very realistic version of the world, why Kilokhan calls himself 'Alexis' now and if this is the same exact Kilokhan from before, how he got into contact with Rikka, why did the teacher change personalities after being saved, how did Yuta lose his memories and why is he still boring, what was Yuta and Rikka's conversation before amnesia, and what is Kilokhan's main objective besides being a giant prick?

4 episodes left to answer all of this, but I feel like it's only answer like less than half of that.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:28 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Any chance in the next review, you'll be addressing the accusations of plagiarism Obari has made about this recent episode?

Apparently that was a mistranslation. It wasn’t an accusation of direct plagiarism so much as he felt the staff were being a bit too slavish in homaging his own work as opposed to making something new. Part of me gets it, but it also feels like shows with sequences like this are increasingly rare. Almost always when you get this kind of action it gets framed as an anachronism.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
Gundam Freakazoid?
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
Akane is kind of an example that cute girls can get away with pretty much everything by putting a smile on it.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Waiting anxiously for Anti to join with the heroes, and still absolutely loving the Mom and Neon Genesis interactions.

I'm sure he'll see the light eventually if they continue to feed him. And mom is definitely best girl! Very Happy
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Gonna go right out and say it: That was definitely the best episode of SSSS Gridman by far. I was enamoured from beginning to end from this ep that I now dub 'Your Lie in Aplil'.

Really want to know a few things now. Did Gridman enter this created world for the sole purpose of waking Akane from a false reality given to her by Kilokhan? Was Akane Gridman's target all along without knowing it? What is Kilokhan getting out of this? Does Yuta even actually exist in the real world? Why are the three protagonists the only ones defiant in a world she created where everyone is supposed to love her? Is it because of their contact with the Gridman program?

Got a few guesses as to why the Melancholy of Akane isn't working, despite it being her dream world:
1. She's an introvert, so having everyone like her doesn't mean anything if she doesn't want much to do with anybody anyway.
2. It's boring because everything is how she wants it to be, but we always wish for something to be isn't always what we should actually get.
3. Kilokhan is effing with her.
4. She realizes deep down, this isn't how the world is like in reality. Which I assume has something to do with Rika specifically.

I'm just expecting the reveal at the start of the next episode that Rika admits she's actually gay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10