• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Shares Anime on Peer-to-Peer Network in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frubam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He was convicted on December 13, 2006 of assisting copyright violations and sentenced to pay 1.5 million yen (about 13,000 yen).

Dont you mean 13,000 US dollars?

Anyway, $9 an episode, esp for something a couple years old is a bit much Confused Though probably better than $35 dollars for 2 ep deals they have. Wonder how this is gonna turn out.

I also recall Kadokawa doing something similar i think in a previous article, so i wonder if this is gonna advert uploading anime to some extent.
nebbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, $9 an episode, esp for something a couple years old is a bit much

That's the price an american would pay at the current rate, it doesn't say anything about
the cost to a japanese person.

Anyway it's nice to see news like this pop up every other day now, it's like they're all
going: hey, why didn't we think of that?
hara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
9$ per episode is a bit too much for one of their low budget projects. Speed Grapher has its entertainment value but who is willing to pay 216$ for the whole series?
It's like they want this sharing-experiment to fail so that they can later say that it was the consumer's fault that online-distribution didn't work. Nice tactics to justify DVD distribution...
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm inclined to agree with you hara.

Quote:

That's the price an american would pay at the current rate, it doesn't say anything about the cost to a japanese person.

Where are you buying anime? I don't want to go there. Most of my 4 episode dvds are 20-25 with a very small minority being higher than that. This figure is almost double that, and I don't know the meaning of their terms since the usage on downloadable media tends to be skewed. Is "high definition" true HD (1080 p ) or is it in fact 480p while the "standard" is less?

If standard is 480p, even then it's 1.5x to 2x as high as current US prices, and this is for no DVD, no packaging, no extras, and a lot of extra DRM so you can't use it on your OS/device of choice. That's an all around horrible deal if you ask me. And it could be even worse than that if the use of terms is deceptive.
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Those prices per episode better be heavily discounted to account for pushing the cost of distribution onto the customer, and for the DRM, especially if the DRM phones home for verification or something else that allows the company to make the file useless either intentionally or through going out of business.
finan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Talk about ripping customers off. 9-12 USD per episode? I agree it sounds like they want it to fail.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
$9-12 an episode?? No wonder why people download the entire series fansubbed.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
narutoismybrother wrote:

It seems everybody is so busy being negative, they forget this test is running in Japan. DVD prices are way higher there, so it's not that bad a deal for them. But hey, anything to justify your perpetual free ride eh?
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
narutoismybrother wrote:

It seems everybody is so busy being negative, they forget this test is running in Japan. DVD prices are way higher there, so it's not that bad a deal for them. But hey, anything to justify your perpetual free ride eh?

Indeed, the Speed Grapher box set is 30000 yen MSRP (Amazon sells it for ~18000 yen, though), compared to the 24000 yen you'd pay for the SD episodes, assuming SD is the same as DVD quality. However, that's ignoring the cost in risk of buying DRMed episodes. One American company has already demonstrated to sports fans that when you buy online and download, they can revoke your ability to watch it if they choose to. And while I don't put much value into the material packaging, some do. And as I stated before, assuming people do actually share the DRMed episodes after downloading them, that pushes the cost of bandwidth to the consumer.

In other words, it's a horrible deal, even with the 50% discount, because they're even more in risk of being lost than DVDs.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
9 bucks for a single DRM-stuffed episode? Hah I think not.
shionxx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
They are nuts if they think people will pay $9 for a drm shitty episode.

It probably would not be that bad for the Japanese considering how much they pay for dvds which come with 2 episodes/dvd and sometimes 1 per dvd (Kyou kara maou R)

BUT the DRM will turn this to shit.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The test is for Japan, not the US. Of course the eps are an arm & a leg because Japanese dvds are an arm & a leg. This might be an incredible deal there.
If they deem it a success, the price might come down.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprized people didn't see Gonzo of all companies running a scam.

I meen, if it was Seto no Hanayome, it would be ok, that's worth $9. If only for the fact it was a AIC work.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Id have to agree with most people, 9-12$ an episode is pretty high, esp for Speed Grapher.

Speed Grapher was a good show , but not worth 9 bucks per episode... thats just like wow.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
when you go to the site I was looking and I got a translation and the yen cost is 525 Yen for sd & 788 Yen for hd (including tax) per episodes. This is the link to show the price http://bb.gonzo.co.jp/. and the prices are the way during there campain so they are giving at a discounted rate and the it will go up in price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2