• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Konosuba doing as good as ever.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:31 am Reply with quote
Top five are all webnovels.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

What do you mean by that? I'd guess at least half of all light novels have or have had webnovel versions so it's not strange at all. But this chart specifically refers to the light novel version sales.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

What do you mean by that? I'd guess at least half of all light novels have or have had webnovel versions so it's not strange at all. But this chart specifically refers to the light novel version sales.

Series like Overlord start out as web novels.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
Clearly the anime projects were a huge success in promoting the source material. Hopefully this will lead to more promotions in the future.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
Overlord 13 is the only volume released in 2018 and since it's part of the top 10 we can math it up to check that the backlog Overlord volumes sold 567,332 units. Konosuba 13 is the only one in the top 10, but it also released volume 14 this year - that didn't make to the top 10 - so it's backlog sales are less impressive, but at least 350k+. Mahouka had three volumes in the top 10, so the backlog sales are the even less impressive compared to the others, only 136,872. Re: Zero had no single volume in the top 10, and three releases. Since they must've all sold less than 130k each, that's 200k+ volumes sold from backlog. Followed by Slime on the same scenario, with a 149k+ sales from backlog (which is less impressive than what I would assume since the anime is airing right now). There are no Ryuo release dates here in ANN and I'm too lazy to go look elsewhere. SAO Progressive had two releases, both in the top 10, making backlog sales only 40k+ - it's been a long time since the last Progressive release, so maybe that's expected. Classroom of the Elite had three volumes released during the year and none of them are top 10 so it's very hard to say what was a backlog sale or not. SAO had no volume released at all, making all of its 371,626 sales technically backlog sales? NGNL had one volume released that's in the top 10, so we can say that backlog sales were 189,839.

There's no real point to this post, I just wanted to think about this silly math.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:32 am Reply with quote
As Ainz Ooal Gown would say, "Applaud my supreme power!" Truly, Overlord is most deserving of the title Isekai King.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

SAO is also a webnovel.
Nothing new nowdays. Most LN now start as webnovels on webnovel sharing sites.
This way is easy for publishers to know what the fans are looking for and have less risk publishing a novel.
Schadows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

SAO is also a webnovel.
Nothing new nowdays. Most LN now start as webnovels on webnovel sharing sites.
This way is easy for publishers to know what the fans are looking for and have less risk publishing a novel.
To be honest, SAO author was only "discovered" by his current publisher after he won a contest with Accel World. And only then did they dig up his other works (SAO, Isolator).

WN are great to discover some talents, but I prefer to read the polished LN version. Too many WN have great story/potential, but reading them makes me crying blood.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
By Web novel it would mean that all of them started out as web novel projects and are now doing well.

Overlord still is doing well despite having only one volume release and the anime seasons that aired this year have certainly have done there job.

As for Re:Zero and Konosuba it is nice they are doing well and are still relevant.

Slime has also done well for itself, especially when you consider the anime has only just aired.

AS for Ryu's work it might not seem appeal to most outside of japan and seems out of place but considering that Shogi is such a popular game and sport it is not and for something with no anime adaption out of all of the others in the list, this says something about its popularity,
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Overlord still is doing well despite having only one volume release and the anime seasons that aired this year have certainly have done there job.

I don't quite get the wording here? Overlord is up to 13th volume back in Japan.

Quote:

AS for Ryu's work it might not seem appeal to most outside of japan and seems out of place but considering that Shogi is such a popular game and sport it is not and for something with no anime adaption out of all of the others in the list, this says something about its popularity,

Again, I'm probably missing what you mean here(?), but Ryuo's Work Is Never Done! did have an anime adaptation, last Winter season actually.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

I don't quite get the wording here? Overlord is up to 13th volume back in Japan.

Quote:

Again, I'm probably missing what you mean here(?), but Ryuo's Work Is Never Done! did have an anime adaptation, last Winter season actually.

By only one volume release i mean having just one new volume released this year aka vol 13

AS for anime adaptation apparently i missed that so my mistake on that one.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
Schadows wrote:
To be honest, SAO author was only "discovered" by his current publisher after he won a contest with Accel World. And only then did they dig up his other works (SAO, Isolator).

WN are great to discover some talents, but I prefer to read the polished LN version. Too many WN have great story/potential, but reading them makes me crying blood.

Reki Kawahara intended to put SAO on the contest years before Accel World but it become too big (exceeded the page limit).
SAO was from a time WN din't have the importance they have now for the publishers.

But still, WN still have pass for the hands of a good editor before they can be published as a LN.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
TyrantValvatorez wrote:
Overlord and possibly Slime actully deserve their spots. The rest are just otaku harem trash.

Well, this is about as narrow-minded generalization as I’ve seen in a while as if those series were just what you say, it’s very unlikely that they would even be on this list. I mean, trash implies that no one has any use for it as well, so this is brushing a very broad stroke against those series’ and it’s fans.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Same thinking here. Hopefully there'll be interest in getting a few of these series some new seasons Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1