• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2018 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
J-Novel Club publishes [Apparently it’s my Fault My Husband has the Head of a Beast] as an ebook for $3.00.

Uhhh, what? The retail price is $6.99, and although they are having a “Cyber Monday” sale right now until next Monday, the lowest I’ve seen it is $3.99.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Snagged several of these LNs on Kindle during the 3.99 sale and I'm looking forward to them.

I did get the paperback of Do you love your mom? simply bc, as a mom, I was excited about a mom anime heroine ... sad to hear that it's sometimes played for awkward mom con Rolling Eyes Oh well! I will still give it a go!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but doesn't have the beating heart, social consciousness or even inventive joke structure to keep it afloat

This is in reference to Machimaho.

Had to read the dictionary to find out exactly what 'social consciousness" is. Still doesn't make much sense to me, or why it would be important to manga reading. I read manga for entertainment, so a lack of social consciousness wouldn't be important to me.

As to all the other reviewers points, think the jury is still out. First episodes and first novels can be a little wonky. Machimaho kept my interest, so I will give it a chance.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Had to read the dictionary to find out exactly what 'social consciousness" is. Still doesn't make much sense to me, or why it would be important to manga reading. I read manga for entertainment, so a lack of social consciousness wouldn't be important to me.

I don't want to put words in her mouth or anything, but if I'm understanding her right, she's referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_conscience#Literature, a good example of which can be found in Inio Asano's Dead Dead Demon's DeDeDeDeDestruction. Asano's manga is a slice of life story about Japanese schoolgirls living in the wake of an alien invasion, and also a criticism of the way people go about their normal day-to-day routines and try to ignore all the awful things that are happening in the world. The manga is very, very depressing at times (it's an Asano work, after all) but it still manages to be entertaining to a lot of people simply by virtue of it reflecting the author's thoughts on the ways that the Japanese equivalent of millennials are living their lives. (Or at the very least, that's how Asano has explained it.)

(I don't know how it specifically applies to One Punch Man or MachiMaho, since I haven't read much more than a couple snippets of either.)
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Pizza Elf seems fun. Also pizza. I'd prefer a digital copy but it's not like I hate physical.

kotomikun wrote:
Quote:
artist Kōtarō Yamada can't draw an adult woman's upper body to save his life

Or lower body, apparently. On the cover art, Lyule(?)'s knees appear to be pointed in opposite directions. Levitating-legs-in-skirt is common in anime-girl art for whatever reason, but that's some pretty impressive contortion.

Yeah that's really jarring to see, especially when looking at his amazing art for fire emblem. Maybe he just didn't give a shit and phoned it in for this one lol.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Along with Plus-size Elf I also bought Interspecies Reviewers.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
I was a little confused by Plus-Sized Elf myself. I enjoyed the art and I like the educational angle it occasionally has, but apart from that it fell really flat. There were a lot of conflicting viewpoints given on the girls' weight, which made it hard to figure out where the author is actually coming from.

I believe Plus-Sized Elf's mangaka is catering to readers with a fetish for plus-sized girls; and I think they themselves like big girls too. I don't think there's anything deeper than that.

They've previously done erotic manga under the penname Methonium, which usually feature big girls ranging from athletic to chubby.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
Just saying, maybe some of these reviews would have a bit more credibility if the people reviewing them were actually the target demographic more often than not. A lot of these reviews basically boil down to "this is icky and sexist" and let's be honest, that's really not helpful to most people who'd be interested in a lot of these manga in the first place.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Attempting to respond to the Light Novel guide just pushes me into this thread instead, is that intentional? Also, the reason why I was trying to post is the Light Novel guide doesn't have any bylines for any of the reviews, which seems like an oversight.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Definitely going to get My Next Life as a Villainess at some point.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
...although that might be an interesting tale. A sort of Quantum Leap of Isekai situations.

Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett was run over by Truck-kun...and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in other worlds, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to change Isekai heroes for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al-chan, an observer from his own world who appears in the form of a magical girl that only Sam can see and hear. And so Dr. Beckett find himself leaping from premise to premise, striving to put right bad story lines, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
Y'all should check out "Out" by Makoto Mizuta.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
Eden's Zero is far better than what I've expected after getting out of that terrible Fairy Tail ride last year or so.

Not quite as good as Rave Master still, but after reading 20 chapters, I really see some potential there. But again, FT also started pretty strong albeit generic.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 am Reply with quote
Half of this guide is turning out useless to me, not because my taste is quite far away from most of the reviewers or anything else but because of the 'as a digital only release' line, just kills it for me. Like, so many of these crop up I become interested and then bam! I'd love to read these in English officially but cannot.

Don't suppose it is possible to filter these out into digital only section in the future?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
I picked up a copy of Elf - Pizza and tried it. I found it boring and quit part way through. The hero just happens to arrive at a village where they have an unused pizza oven. He is provided with all the knowledge of how to make pizza and a magic bag that holds all the ingredients necessary. And, oh yes, a village of elves that are starving to death due to bad diet decisions. It isn't even interesting enough to be a good slice of life story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4