• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Western Live-Action Anime Adaptations in Development Hell

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
GIve it a few months and we can add that live action One Piece show to the list as well.

Oh right, there was a Voltron script in development. After Legendary Defender tanked I'm sure we'll probably see a Macross movie before a Voltron one. Speaking of, Robotech is also another one that's had so many false starts even a legally mandated rights expiration won't save it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see Duuz's name on the new poll (still voted for him naturally). He's definitely not middle-aged; he never came across that way to me, but he's not a young pup like Meifon and most of the rest of the Angel Links crew either. I suppose with a reptilian race it would be hard to tell where "middle age" would apply, but I had always thought of him more in his early 30s, as badass warrior characters like him tend to be in that range.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
As far as the new poll, Taichi Keaton from Master Keaton ought to be on there. He has the "cool old head" to handle lots of stuff with aplomb. He just doesn't need to resort to car chases, shoot outs or explosions most of the time. Which may hurt the show with some demographics, I guess. Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the film itself, Weta Workshop concept art revealed plans for Westernization of the story with characters named "Ray" "Kate Rose," and "Susan Whitnall."

Somehow, Saiban's live-action Sailor Moon springs to mind. It is almost amusing to learn what is considered necessary to attract unaffiliated dollars of the casual moviegoer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
As far as the new poll, Taichi Keaton from Master Keaton ought to be on there. He has the "cool old head" to handle lots of stuff with aplomb. He just doesn't need to resort to car chases, shoot outs or explosions most of the time. Which may hurt the show with some demographics, I guess. Rolling Eyes

If you're logged-in while accessing the poll, there's a blank box at the bottom where you can write in your own character choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I think the same issue with Tiger and Bunny is flounderingbsince the studio producing it went bankrupt.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
GIve it a few months and we can add that live action One Piece show to the list as well.

Oh right, there was a Voltron script in development. After Legendary Defender tanked I'm sure we'll probably see a Macross movie before a Voltron one. Speaking of, Robotech is also another one that's had so many false starts even a legally mandated rights expiration won't save it.

I’m pretty sure Legendary Defender didn’t tank. It well enough in it’s run.

Huh interesting knowledge about all these shows. I wonder if any new ones will be added to Development Hell.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Monster.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:
Monster.

I wonder if that was one of the scripts Del Toro had that was ready to go among the 15 or so he mentioned.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kotetsu's on the list twice.

I was going to mention Monster too, but I think that even with del Toro working directly with Urasawa we probably dodged a bullet with that going under. I'm sure it would have been relocated to America and Kenzou Tenma would've become Biff Tenman or something worse, fighting CIA veterans and their rogue MK Ultra puppet Johnny Noir.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

I’m pretty sure Legendary Defender didn’t tank. It well enough in it’s run.

Huh interesting knowledge about all these shows. I wonder if any new ones will be added to Development Hell.

The problem wiht beatdigga is that he´s annoyed that Voltron isn´t a "mecha action during every episode and every minute of and episode" show, but rather a space-opera show only using Voltron when necessary. What he doesn´t realize is that Voltron is still an important component of the show, and without it, the Galra empire is difficult to defeat.

And also he thinks the oh-so-awful Darling in the Franxx is a masterpiece of a show, when it features a poorly developed plot and cast of characters, super unoriginal mecha designs and not so impressive and not unique action scenes for a Trigger co-production, and it doesn´t even take advantage of being a 2D show, which makes me wonder why anime viewers hate 3D anime so much when we have shows like Darling or Star Driver which are so poorly received in spite of "trying to bring new life into 2D animation". Voltron has all of the impressive action sequences Darling lacked in the 6 episodes I got to watch out of Darling, and it used 3D vehicles a lot.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
That’s off-topic, but no, just no. I have issues with Franxx as well, but...no.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Other titles of Live Action Movies based on Anime and Manga that never happened:

Berserk (It was pitched to Hollywood before back in 2009 and nothing happen)
Devilman (Being directed by Brian Yuzna, best known for Society and Bride of Re-Animator)
Gaiking
Lone Wolf and Cub
Lupin the Third
Mai: The Psychic Girl from Tim Burton
Pet Shop of Horrors
Tetsujin 28-go (Gignator) - They try to do an live action movie in the 90s and animated movie in the 2000.
Wicked City (Which I remember had Todd Mcfarlane doing the merchandise for it)
Witch Hunter Robin (A live action series for Sci-Fi)
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, the new poll was hard, there are just too many cool middle-aged men in anime. Although a lot of them were a lot older than middle-aged, so in my mind they didn't count. That helped narrow the choices.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Speaking of, Robotech is also another one that's had so many false starts even a legally mandated rights expiration won't save it.

Yeah, that Robotech movie has been in a heap of developer hell for nearly a decade. DiCapirio struggled for years to get the rights rights and actually rejecting a role in the new Star Wars sequels, then the Robotech project got shelved. Sony took up the slack and it's progress grounded to a halt because of conflicts with Harmony Gold with the scripts and directors. Not to mention the legal rights over various Macross characters, fighters, aliens, etc, forcing them to rebuild Robotech from ground up. The final blow, Harmony Gold's license rights with Macross expires in 2021. Not enough time to finish a movie they haven't even got started on.

So there is hope Sony is playing a long game in waiting for the license to expire and negotiate with the original Macross rights owners and have a world-wide distribution without Harmony Gold mucking things up.

Fingers crossed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3