• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Gridman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel so bad for Utsumi. If he hadn't come to his senses and left the dream, he would have gotten laid. Dreams always end right before they get to the good part.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I feel so bad for Utsumi. If he hadn't come to his senses and left the dream, he would have gotten laid. Dreams always end right before they get to the good part.

True hero right there, rejecting the chance to get laid for reality.

The more of this I see, the more I feel like despite acting higher and less caring, Akane is in the exact same situation as Malcom and Takeshi. Being manipulated by Tim Curry for his own ends, even if she realizes how little it helps her.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
"I like a girl that can kick my ass"

Akane is like, the ultimate girl that can kick your ass. Her character is so fun. She reminds me of Nadeko Sengoku in a lot of ways. She's what keeps me watching this show, well, that and figuring out their artificial reality works.
Cab329

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Such a good episode! It’s an impressive series that can make me want to hug a villain who is so unrepentant.

One thing I noticed:

In Rikka and Akane’s dream, Akane claimed to have just moved in that spring, which is Yuta’s backstory for how long he’s been attending school.

I’ve proposed Yuta might be a male version of Akane she made to interact with the others but it’s interesting she would use the same background as him (alternatively she sees Rikka getting close to Yuta and is emulating him).

This was damn good and it really dove into Akane in some tragic ways. The bit where she’s trying to please Umitsu by drowning him in objects is like an immature child trying to buy friendship while Yuta she just tries inserting herself into Rikka’s role, someone she’s not.

Rikka though...hmmm, I still wonder if there’s a real world Rikka that Akane tried being close to.

The bit where she jumped was also heartbreaking. Yeah, you knew she wasn’t going to die...but no one was there to intervene. She just righted herself before landing and walked off.

Though I think the most tragic thing is the comparison to the original show. Takenshi became their friend in the real world. But even if Akane becomes their friend in this show, once she leaves the virtual world, she’ll lose that friendship. Even if they all have real world counterparts, Akane won’t have them as friends (or at least, that’s probably what Akane is thinking and a motivation for staying in the world).
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
This was damn good and it really dove into Akane in some tragic ways. The bit where she’s trying to please Umitsu by drowning him in objects is like an immature child trying to buy friendship while Yuta she just tries inserting herself into Rikka’s role, someone she’s not.
Utsumi's dream really sticks out to me. Throughout the entirety of Yuta's dream, something feels off to him, he's not particularly happy, it just isn't working. In Rikka's dream, she's happy, but at the same time something isn't quite right. But with Utsumi, he gives in completely to the dream throughout. The girl he's got a crush on is a complete kaiju nerd and they both enjoy spending time together, and to keep him with her she even propositions him in multiple ways which would be a dream come true for Utsumi. It's only that brief moment where everything is going too well that he finally acknowledges the dream and that it has to end, even if he doesn't want it too.

And to me that sort of highlights something odd about this story and it's that Utsumi and Rikka are just Yuta's friends and supporters of Gridman, but as part of the Gridman Alliance they don't really have a role to play in saving the day like the Neon Genesis Junior High students do. Utsumi, as a member of the alliance, has no purpose other than to support from the sidelines. His dream was the happiest he could ever be, but he had to give it up because it wasn't real and because he knew staying there wasn't the right thing to do no matter what it is he's sacrificing.

I guess I can really sympathize with Utsumi if I view it that way because I recently fell pretty hard for a woman and in the span of three months we became best friends and our friendship was so perfect and supporting that I thought it would be even better if it were something more, and then the moment I pushed a little too hard, she kicked me to the curb. The reality that I was nothing more than a support the whole time hit me hard. It was like waking up from a dream that I should have known was too good to be real. I know it had to happen because I couldn't stay in that dream forever, but I'd be lying if I said the dream wasn't my preference.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Although the mere fact that was going to be a kaiju-related show - produced by Trigger, no less! - was enough reason for me to be interested in following, the visual style and intrigue of the show have easily been the best elements. Don't get me wrong, I still get a kick out of the fights, and the CGI has actually been pretty good; but I'm really excited just to see where these characters and the overarching mystery are going.
Personally, I hope there's something special in store for Rikka in the end. While all three heroes still need some explaining, I feel like Rikka has been the most subtly realized character out of the three, and I'd be disappointed if that turned out to just be accidental.

Is there possibly anything significant to that "Tonkawa" gravestone Yuta focused on? I feel like I missed something in that shot, or that something was foreshadowed, maybe.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Collapse is right! Holy crap the cliffhanger ending to this one.

And then the other thing and the other things! All too spoiler-y, but this show just went even crazier than it has been to this point.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
Collapse is right! Holy crap the cliffhanger ending to this one.

And then the other thing and the other things! All too spoiler-y, but this show just went even crazier than it has been to this point.

It was so so good!! I just finished it and I'm still processing it!!!!

EDIT: I'd like to add that I'm -really- digging that there aren't any next-episode previews in this series. Cliffhanger or not, it's made each new episode feel....thrilling?
Cab329

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
The Tonkawa gravestone was for the classmate that died in episode 1.

As for the new episode: Oh god, I’m still coming down from it. So much happened and that ending. I know the preview listings spoiled that ep 11 would be the big reveal about Yuta’s memories but I certainly wasn’t expecting this episode to end as it did.

I hate I have to wait for next week, argh!
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Cab329 wrote:
The Tonkawa gravestone was for the classmate that died in episode 1.

*facepalm* I must get better at remembering names.

Okay, episode 10 was LEGIT. I'm extremely excited to see what's in store these last two episodes.
spoiler[Funny thing, I was actually fantasizing before that something might happen to Yuta - I just didn't expect it to be so direct! I suppose the questions now are: is Yuta dead, and DEAD-dead? ...And if he's down, will someone else have to join with Gridman??
Honestly, I'd love it if Rikka ends up being the one to save the day, however necessary. Joining her with Gridman might be too obvious, though - also ironic, since she seems to be the biggest critic of those methods too.]

That kaiju was easily the creepiest yet. I am loving the atmosphere of this show; I wish more kaiju-related series emphasized this aspect more.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Well, shit's about to go down.

BTW, don't you think it's also the time for the Kaiju girl to reappear?
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
Funny, my friend and I had the opposite reaction to this episode from the review. Last week we saw Akane *devastated* that Yuta, Utsumi, and Rikka all rejected her fantasy worlds. That's why she's so defeated now.

She opened herself up to them, as much as she *could* and still they rejected her.

Akane liked Kaiju because they couldn't read human hearts. She rejected Anti as a failure because he could.

Akane is, we think, *terrified* of connecting with people. In her mind, their efforts to get her to stop hurting others and herself is an attack.

She wanted to talk to Yuta because she thought he was Gridman, he was *different* from humans.

The moment she discovered he wasn't Gridman, it was like a betrayal.

Throughout the series, we've only ever seen Akane send Kaiju after people who have made her almost crack her outer persona of generic pleasantness - people who have almost made her show the actual her.

She is absolutely *terrified* of connecting with people. So she kills. They aren't real anyway, right? There's some.....incredibly deep-seated trauma there.

The inner Kaiju went berserk and the first thing it did was kill the custodial Kaiju. We don't think this weird berserker Kaiju that moved like an EVA being hidden was a coincidence, nor is Anti's statement that it's Akane's heart.

Deep down, Akane wants this to end. Possibly *all of it* to end. But consciously, she wants to be safe in her bubble. This dichotomy is making her....*unstable*.

Something I noticed was that the inner Kaiju stopped moving like a suit actor would. It jumped and flipped around like it was CG, or anime. Considering Trigger have *very deliberately* done everything to Toku tropes until then (aside from the astoundingly Obari combination) this couldn't have been an accident. Akane's subconscious heart is done with the Kaiju and Toku tropes. It wanted to *win*. To continue destroying everything.

Either because she wanted her safe world gone, or because she wanted *everything* gone because that's the only way she can be 'safe'.

Akane has, it seems, retreated into this world, because of some event that made her reject everything. *Almost* everything. She couldn't completely reject people. She couldn't completely reject *Rikka*. But she couldn't keep Rikka without keeping enough that Rikka wouldn't get...suspicious.

(Incidentally, look at the number of moving cars on the road, the people walking the sidewalk, the incredible zero people on that bus Akane and Rikka take, versus the size of the city. There's like a hundred people living there now, tops. Whether Akane killed THAT MANY of them or there was never much more than that, is a mystery for now.)

Anyway, Akane retreated into this world, and built enough of it to suit. But the world she retreated to wasn't perfect. It wasn't fully safe. She kept having *emotions* and people kept getting close to her *showing* them. And it hit a head when Gridman showed up. Which was both the best AND worst thing. It brought her some excitement to her boring, 'safe' world, but it also stopped her from removing those she deemed bad, flawed, or a threat to her 'comfortable' world.

But it also brought her somebody who might understand. Somebody who wasn't human or just one of her own constructs. It brought Gridman, whomshe THOUGHT was Yuta.

But then it turned out he wasn't Gridman. And he was just a human.

....anyway. Basically, we thing that this whole time, the series has been about *Akane*. And getting her to break out of the world she retreated into. This world of nostalgia and fandom that she refuses to leave, to the point of self-destruction.

Which I think might be one of the reasons Trigger hewed so closely to Obari - it's a show about how destructive such monomaniacal focus can be. Perhaps.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Anti~! I've been waiting for this character development for him and it absolutely paid off. And that cliffhanger. Shocked

Even more shocking, by the time i am writing this comment, the community score is at 2.4, wtf? Some people seem to really enjoy messing with the ratings this season...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Anti~! I've been waiting for this character development for him and it absolutely paid off. And that cliffhanger. Shocked

Even more shocking, by the time i am writing this comment, the community score is at 2.4, wtf? Some people seem to really enjoy messing with the ratings this season...

Probably some overzealous fans.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
It’s not just gridman, all the other community scores this week are unusually low.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10