• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Worth Watching?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

That's exactly what makes him a great character. Is for anime rom-com what somewhat Dirty Harry is for action crime movies. A cynical anti-hero that go against the usual common sense and correctness.
Sakuta don't give a damn what others think and just do and say what he wants, whenever he wants, just speak his mind but without evil intentions.

And Mai is just the perfect balance for him and the back and forth with Mai is just the highlight of the show.

REALLY not helping the case that this series really wants to be ***monogatari. Going off the descriptions of people that actually seem to love the show, Sakuta comes across like a bootleg Araragi. I'd be curious if that's just because the amount of time since Bakemonogatari means less current anime fans have seen it, that people who were put off by Bakemonogatari's stylistic flourishes found the more pedestrian direction of Bunny Senpai more approachable, or if people just love this character archetype in any form.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
VerQuality wrote:

REALLY not helping the case that this series really wants to be ***monogatari. Going off the descriptions of people that actually seem to love the show, Sakuta comes across like a bootleg Araragi. I'd be curious if that's just because the amount of time since Bakemonogatari means less current anime fans have seen it, that people who were put off by Bakemonogatari's stylistic flourishes found the more pedestrian direction of Bunny Senpai more approachable, or if people just love this character archetype in any form.

Well , i can't compare the two because i never watched Monogatari (im not really a fan of Shaft style. The only 2 anime that i liked was Tsukuyomi and Madoka).
Because of that i can't say how the MCs can compare.

But before people say Bunny Sempai is a bootleg Monogatari you have to realize that Monogatari (the LN) come also from the Monogatari (the Japanese literary form). Monogatari stories are around since the 9th century and because there are so many Monogatari (the Japanese literary form stories) i just can't be sure if the Monogatari (the LN) are based on some older story and characters or how close to that stories, Monogatari (the LN) really is.

Almost everything is already been around for some time, in one form or another. A new original story that are not based in other story and characters is extremely rare. So all comes to execution, and in that manner i find Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai a very well executed and good anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
" I hate myself too, but only myself can change that" Without physical strength, words are the best powerful weapon that most if not all females have as their offence and defence against males and even each other.
I started out liking the "Monogatari" series, but bailed on it when the incessant narcissi-ant directorial and editorial bollox of inserting one frame cuts of basically editorial log commentary or instructions just irritated the piss out of me. (it wasn't cute and it wasn't clever) I'm going to watch this Rascal Bunny Girl Senpai Dream Does Not when it washes up on my beach. It 's just so that Sakuta is so like I was at that age for basically the same social interactive reasons even back then. It is well documented that much of one's adult personallity is moulded by the environment and experiences both physical and psychological at one's youth up to adulthood, hence the reason behind such marked increase in psychological and mental issues with students today. I believe this title is trying to highlight just that. I'm pretty much still the same, but life's experience has kept it under control for many decades now, but it's not easy to resist the temptation when the person in front of me is asking me, no begging me to verbally spit in their face. Twisted Evil Laughing
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
I dropped the show around episode 4 or 5, the whole thing about her being invisible because people forgot about her was just interesting to me and i found myself getting bored with it fast. I dont mind slow paced shows but the plot just wasnt interesting enough
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
This is the best series from fall season and an easy top5 of the year. Truly dunno what that dude is talking all the characters are perfect the way they are. So anyone even 2nd guessing if they should watch it dont even just simply go and press play 1st episode and enjoy the ride !!!

Its interesting that you put it in the top 5 best shows of the year, I personally would say its one of the worst this year but i can respect your opinion. maybe ill even give it a second watch at some point.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
jrockfreak wrote:
Its interesting that you put it in the top 5 best shows of the year, I personally would say its one of the worst this year but i can respect your opinion. maybe ill even give it a second watch at some point.

Even if you don't like the characters or the concept, I can't see a reasonable way to justify ranking this one among the year's worst. I probably wouldn't place it among season's or year's best, either, but it doesn't deserve to be that low. For all that nick and Steve were critical, they still liked it overall.

VerQuality wrote:

The part I bolded is the case for me. (Well, that and Sakuta not being a pedophile.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess all the opinions regarding this show have been, to one degree or another, positive. So I guess that I should binge this show as soon as it's all over.

I think people could do well with respectufully disagreeing with the opinion on this article without being so agressive towards the authors. I mean, sure, the whole ''no conversation like a real person'' completely ignores the diversity of human behavior. I mean, my conversations can be rather unconventional.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:

A lot of people simply don't think of his rudeness and objectification of women as a problem at all. In fact, some people in this topic are applauding him for his ability to honestly say what he thinks at all times. But that's exactly what makes him a bad character, imo. He's an outlaw who's too cool to care what people think of him, says what he likes with no fear of alienating people, and he gets rewarded for that by easily making friends (and girlfriends) with anyone who bothers to get to know him. He's too cool for school, and literally has no flaws, as far as the show is concerned. There's even a moment in the second arc where we're reminded that he could also beat anyone up in a fight if he really wanted to, which just made me roll my my eyes. He's no less of a power fantasy than Kirito from SAO.

Excuse me are we watching the same show ?

His attitude isn't making him friends. He has the same 3 friends he's had since the show started. The rest are either family, a love intrest singular or school acquaintences. I know that last one is hard for a lot of people to fathom but they aren't friends.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Interesting. What 90% of people I talk to like about this show (Sakuta, Mai and their banter( is precisely what the reviewers dislike. Then again it doesn't surprise me. They have some very strict views on how people should behave and when one is outside the norm, the critical axe falls. It's very much in tune with the modern puritanism we're experiencing.

This is called hypocrisy, so when it comes to joking about abusive behavior in Zombieland Saga, Steve seems to have no questions.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Scalfin wrote:
Yeah, considering that Nick and Steve have a bit of a record of grading characters based on their high school resentments and have mentioned that they were the dramatic kids (basically the US version chuuni except with the drama club or terrible poetry), I think part of their reaction is due to the character reminding them of the peers who could take the wind out of their sails with dry quips and scoffs.

I didn’t know the bit about being the ‘dramatic kids’ That explains so incredibly much of the ‘reviews’ I’ve read from them. And in that context, of course they’d dislike a ‘I don’t care about your opinion’ guy like Sakuta.

Lol, I was also not the most popular child in the school, and to be honest, it seems that many still think that I am gay because of my feminine appearance and tastes. But for some reason I did not become a puritan preacher who accuses Darling in the FranX of promoting "alt-right agenda" or is horrified by vulgar jokes.

In any case, the review looks as if it was written by a 50-year-old teacher from 90s to tell parents why "anime is dangerous for young people". Especially if you remember how people accused this show of immorality only after seeing Mai in a rabbit costume on a poster.

VerQuality wrote:
Although I have yet to watch the show, it's interesting how all the defenses people in this thread have written about ??? sound exactly like they're talking about Araragi (which explains some of the comments: Arararagi is basically a male tsundere, and people always argue at which point the tsun act stops being cute and is instead just abusive).

Sakuta is more like a kind of hybrid of Hachiman and Araragi. Not to mention the other characters. So, if you like the mix from Haruhi, Oregairu and Gatari, then this is definitely your show.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I think this should get an Eng. dub soon, given many people want it. If it does, good thing we have the subbed version first vs. waiting months to binge-watch it (Netflix jab).
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who read Nick's manglings of the show name, and heard the voice of Jeremy Clarkson? :)
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Just what I was waiting for - more Monogatari comparisons.

A series where the very first scene of the very first episode of the very first part is a panty shot, completely unrelated to everything we get to see afterwards, and only years later (for those who do not know the light novels, at least), in another episode that actually was the first part pf a three-part movie, it becomes clear that this was not cheap fanservice, but rather the single random occurrence that set the whole story in motion.

I somehow doubt we will get the same levels of complexity with Bunny Girl Senpai. But also, I don't need it. It's a high school coming of age story with real and relatable people (ok, I admit I don't get and probably never will get that little sister thing, let's just write it off as insurmountable cultural differences). "Real and relatable" does not mean that they talk like real high school kids do. Nobody ever does that in a teenage show. Not even in the most realistic ones. But at least they have conversations and interactions that feel natural even in the absurdity of the situation. And you get this because they talk to each other like friends (even if they technically aren't, like Sakuta and his best friend's girlfriend), and thus with much more confidentiality than they would do with complete strangers.

Many of Sakuta's comments are very clearly not taken as offensive as they sound by the girls he directs them at. They are deliberately over the top in order to interrupt the flow of the discussion, or the direction in which it is heading. The girls realize that what they hear should not be taken at full value because they know him, and they know he is not as misogynistic or perverted as he makes himself sound. They are startled by his words, and wherever the conversation was going, it is no longer on track. If he is ever ruining the mood of the moment with one of his remarks, it is because the mood was bad to begin with and urgently needed some ruining.

Sakuta may not be your friendly next-door hero, but he's the right person at the right moment for real girls and young women with real teenager problems (within the confines of anime TV show conventions, of course), and that is what makes the show so enjoyable.
ichigoteguz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I created an account just to say that this is the first ANN "review" that I read, and it honestly makes me want to make it the last, did not even finish this one for that matter, I read the initial and final %20 and could not go on, this series has been deeply enjoyable, easily in the top 5 of the season, and I couldn't disagree more with you on your posture about it, I'll stick around on this site for the news and facts, but I doubt I'll ever click on anything that could be considered your opinion ever again, and I'm very glad to see I'm not the only one, the forum has spoken, and the rascal came out on top. Good day.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but then you have these long stretches of dialogue that would never be spoken between two actual human people

That sounds like another show from this year. Now if only I had a save point in the past I could reset to it and remember what it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5