• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2018 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilitu93
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
MaskOfBrutality wrote:
Half of this guide is turning out useless to me, not because my taste is quite far away from most of the reviewers or anything else but because of the 'as a digital only release' line, just kills it for me. Like, so many of these crop up I become interested and then bam! I'd love to read these in English officially but cannot.

Don't suppose it is possible to filter these out into digital only section in the future?

Is it just you don’t want to or can’t read digital releases, or are your worries that you can’t get them outside of the US? If your location is accurate, then I can let you know it’s possible to get most digital releases in the UK from Amazon, Comixology and BookWalker. Not all releases, and some take a bit to come out over here, but the majority are eventually available.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Is the guide still ongoing until the end of this week? If so, that's pretty nice. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough time to cover enough manga.

Arte is really interesting. I remember reading some of the chapters back on the short-lived Comic Zenon english magazine, and it by far the best thing available. $6.99 for just the first chapter is an awful deal though, and I hope they either cut the price down or release the whole volume for that price.

I've read the first volume of Fairy Tale Battle Royale, and while the first volume felt like it was mostly setting things up, I'm interested in where its going. What's got me most excited about it was the official translator for it talking about how the author did her research, and pulled from some really obscure fairy tales (in future volumes).

I wish I liked Dragon Goes House-hunting more than I did, because the formula's there. It just didn't click with me. I also remember being annoyed that the translation left "yuusha" or a similar phrase for chosen heroes untranslated, which was totally unnecessary. It also felt like it didn't know if the world was an actual fantasy world or a video game world at times. The art is good though.
alconnow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I’m still considering whether to buy the physical copy of Dead Mount Death Play or should I just buy the chapters digitally? Hmm
Calico

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
alconnow wrote:
I’m still considering whether to buy the physical copy of Dead Mount Death Play or should I just buy the chapters digitally? Hmm

I'd recommend you buy the volumes. Each chapter costs $1.99 ($2.99 for the first). The first volume has 8 chapters. Added up, that's $16.92 for the content in the first volume. The volume itself is priced at $13 for physical, or only $6.99 for the digital volume.
alconnow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
alconnow wrote:

I'd recommend you buy the volumes. Each chapter costs $1.99 ($2.99 for the first). The first volume has 8 chapters. Added up, that's $16.92 for the content in the first volume. The volume itself is priced at $13 for physical, or only $6.99 for the digital volume.

Sorry, I just worked out how much it would cost in GBP. I just checked on Amazon and volume 1 costs £9.99 (physical) and £5.49 for the Kindle edition. If I were to buy the 8 chapters it would cost £13.07? Yeah, I think I’ll buy the series in volumes. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The one that I've been enjoying the absolute hell out of is Talentless Nana. It's like, it has the feel that Release the Spyce doesn't, not that I dislike that show.

TN is part Death Note, part Elfen Lied, part Golgo Guiness..

plague1ftw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
This site has allways pushed a misandrous agenda. But straight up ignoring males as a target audience by having only female reviewers for manga totally disregarding the reader's demographic. What is this? How low can you get before you start to reassess your values?
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
plague1ftw wrote:
This site has allways pushed a misandrous agenda. But straight up ignoring males as a target audience by having only female reviewers for manga totally disregarding the reader's demographic. What is this? How low can you get before you start to reassess your values?

I highly doubt that was intentional. Typically when this happens, nobody else wanted to do the job. You'll find this in big companies where HR is almost always women. Like you'll check the classes for the field and there are literally zero male candidates in a given year working towards degreed employment. That works both ways. I can make a request to HR for a new engineer and I'll receive 20 resumes, all men. That's with me specifically requesting diversity for my candidate selection. I can't "do the right thing" if I'm not even given the opportunity. It's likely something like that. I'd not read too much into it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
plague1ftw wrote:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring this up in a demeaning way... Honestly, it was much longer than I expected.

Anyway, like Zof said, this was likely just a case going with what was given, and it just happened to be all women. Rebecca & Amy are returning from last time, with Faye & Teresa being the newbies. Were there men that applied to be a part of the Manga Guide? Maybe, we'll likely never know, but I'm sure that these two were picked because they had the best showings/credentials, not because ANN didn't want any men covering manga here.

Would have been nice to have at least one man? Sure, I guess, if only for a possible differing opinion, but I think the four we have tend to be as fair as possible, with probably the only one coming off a bit "odd" to me being Faye's reaction to Tomo-chan is a Girl, which I simply think she completely misunderstood the intentions of that manga. But, hey, that's why there are four people covering each title.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
plague1ftw wrote:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring this up in a demeaning way... Honestly, it was much longer than I expected.

Anyway, like Zof said, this was likely just a case going with what was given, and it just happened to be all women. Rebecca & Amy are returning from last time, with Faye & Teresa being the newbies.

This also opens up the possibility of other explanations. Like secretly they are a crime fighting team with costumes and everything.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:

This also opens up the possibility of other explanations. Like secretly they are a crime fighting team with costumes and everything.

Shhhhhhhhhh, this is supposed to be on the DL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Would have been nice to have at least one man? Sure, I guess, if only for a possible differing opinion, but I think the four we have tend to be as fair as possible, with probably the only one coming off a bit "odd" to me being Faye's reaction to Tomo-chan is a Girl, which I simply think she completely misunderstood the intentions of that manga. But, hey, that's why there are four people covering each title.

I personally don’t care who reviews a title, but if 4 out of 4 people obviously don’t like a particular genre of manga, and criticize it for being what it’s designed to do, it’d be nice to get at least one reviewer in there who enjoys the genre and understands the POINT. Like... if I want a great review of some high brow manga, I know what reviewers to turn to, but for the silly stuff? The current selection is lacking, and it sounds like they disliked every minute of being asked to read something they admitted to being confused over. I enjoy the current reviewers’ opinions mostly, but the diversity of tastes/opinions among them is lacking. There’s plenty of women who like a good dose of cheeky/sexy humor. Just find someone, male, female or non-binary, that does to contribute to the round robin of opinions.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I personally don’t care who reviews a title, but if 4 out of 4 people obviously don’t like a particular genre of manga, and criticize it for being what it’s designed to do, it’d be nice to get at least one reviewer in there who enjoys the genre and understands the POINT. Like... if I want a great review of some high brow manga, I know what reviewers to turn to, but for the silly stuff? The current selection is lacking, and it sounds like they disliked every minute of being asked to read something they admitted to being confused over. I enjoy the current reviewers’ opinions mostly, but the diversity of tastes/opinions among them is lacking. There’s plenty of women who like a good dose of cheeky/sexy humor. Just find someone, male, female or non-binary, that does to contribute to the round robin of opinions.

It wouldn't be so glaring if it weren't for the low quality of reviews. It seems each manga has at least one tirade about how it kind-a sorta- contradicts the reviewer's pet issue, trigger, or, in the strangest case, insistent faith in the fundamental goodness of cats and delusion that her pet kitty sees her as more than a source of food.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

There’s plenty of women who like a good dose of cheeky/sexy humor. Just find someone, male, female or non-binary, that does to contribute to the round robin of opinions.

I'm one of them! I don't think I bashed anything for having sex jokes alone. I write erotica books (under a pen name).

...That doesn't mean I like every fanservice-y manga or think they all deserve 5s. If it's 2.5+, that means I enjoyed it. It just doesn't compare to the higher-rated ones in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Have you considered that the issue isn't that the reviewers being biased, but that the "cheeky/sexy" stuff present on this list just isn't very good?

Seriously, among the fanservice titles present on the list, Plus-SIzed Elf is just about average, Interspecies Reviewers is shockingly dull for its premise, and Goblin Slayer: Year One is obnoxious vile drivel. You can't really claim any of them would earn higher scores just because men would review them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4