• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2018 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plague1ftw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I personally don’t care who reviews a title, but if 4 out of 4 people obviously don’t like a particular genre of manga, and criticize it for being what it’s designed to do, it’d be nice to get at least one reviewer in there who enjoys the genre and understands the POINT. Like... if I want a great review of some high brow manga, I know what reviewers to turn to, but for the silly stuff? The current selection is lacking, and it sounds like they disliked every minute of being asked to read something they admitted to being confused over. I enjoy the current reviewers’ opinions mostly, but the diversity of tastes/opinions among them is lacking. There’s plenty of women who like a good dose of cheeky/sexy humor. Just find someone, male, female or non-binary, that does to contribute to the round robin of opinions.

Sorry I made this an gender issue but this is actually closer to what I wanted to say. These reviews are useless for me because they don't help me at all in deciding if I want to look into a manga. There is no diversity in opinions. Would some gender diversity have helped with diversifying opinions? In my opinion: probably. Maybe you can take this as feedback for future installments.
alconnow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
I think I'll buy both volumes of Pop Team Epic,
Pipimi best waifu
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
lilitu93 wrote:
Is it just you don’t want to or can’t read digital releases, or are your worries that you can’t get them outside of the US? If your location is accurate, then I can let you know it’s possible to get most digital releases in the UK from Amazon, Comixology and BookWalker. Not all releases, and some take a bit to come out over here, but the majority are eventually available.

Sorry for the late reply. I could read them if I wanted to but my stance is that I simply will not purchase anything (music, books, movies, games etc.) digitally, it needs to be physical. I read scanlations for series with no official translation and then buy the Japanese or even German releases (they seem to be so much more open minded than us for media) as I need to eventually have it for my collection or to hold and read.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
So far I am buying or bought Goblin Slayer Side Story: Year One, Interspecies Reviewers, Machimaho and Plus-Sized Elf.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But I find its particular sort of gender essentialism and toxic tropes about what romance is anathema to enjoying it on any level. Its supposedly light tonality only makes it more offensive to me, as it passes off a lot of its awful philosophy as benign.

I feel like if I had picked up Tomo-chan is a Girl starting with the first volume - instead of, much like a webcomic, reading the stuff that was "current" at the time I discovered the title and then working my way through the "archives" - this would have 100% been my reaction to the series. I have a lot of thoughts on how the way that American publishers bring over longer-running titles starting with their first volumes instead of their (often-better) more recent ones sometimes does a tremendous disservice to franchises that gradually change in theme, quality, or tone. (If, for example, I hadn't known what the latter half of Actually, I Am... was like, I would have never even given that series a chance!) That being said, Faye's review reminds me of how I knew people who stopped watching Revolutionary Girl Utena after the first episode because they had problems with Anthy's character, until friends told them that the things that they found most problematic about Anthy were among the things that the series was created to address.

I'm certainly not going to sit here and compare Tomo-chan to Utena (the ways in which they address their respective problematic elements couldn't be more dissimilar) except to say that I think it's interesting how reactions to first volumes of long-running titles can provide some really cool insights into what authors must have thought it was most important for their readers to be aware of right out of the gate. In the case of Tomo-chan, it's clear that the author didn't seem to think that his readers needed to know what he thought about gender essentialism, and that's really fascinating to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4