• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With The Multiple Versions of Kiki's Delivery Service?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:36 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Putting his localization choices on other anime aside, I thought his work on Kiki was pretty much a straight dub as far as early '90s dubs are concerned.
It's kind of a mystery why his dubs of Totoro and Kiki were more faithful than a lot of Streamline's other dubs.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to put the man down. My point was that his reputation, be it rightly deserved or not, ought to have been well known.

Like I said, I can't complain about his Kiki dub. And I like his dub of Doomed Megalopolis too.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Does the 2013 StudioCanal's UK blu-ray include the Sydney Forest songs? I know I've read their 2006 DVD has the original Disney dub.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Agreed. I wasn't trying to put the man down. My point was that his reputation, be it rightly deserved or not, ought to have been well known.

Like I said, I can't complain about his Kiki dub. And I like his dub of Doomed Megalopolis too.

Yup. There's a reason why the TV Tropes article about radically altered anime localizations.is named "Macekre" (pronouned like "massacre"). Then again, probably very few people at Disney were anime fans back then, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they really were genuinely ignorant.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:

I was surprised GKIDS was not able to get Ghibli to commission a fresh subtitle translation. It would have had been a reason to upgrade!
Do you know if GKid's release of Princess Mononoke also still uses dubtitles? That's disappointing that they weren't able to get a new translation for Kiki's.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Does the 2013 StudioCanal's UK blu-ray include the Sydney Forest songs? I know I've read their 2006 DVD has the original Disney dub.

The DVD, yes, but not the blu-ray. I know this because I have the DVD/Blu-Ray combo.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
As an interesting bit of trivia, because I've noticed that very few people know about it, but there is also a "collector's edition" VHS that has the original Japanese dialogue and music for Kiki.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
As someone who first watched the original Disney version on the Disney channel way back in the day (it's likely my most watched anime, period), I am so happy that I had bought that 2003 version when I did. I was bummed out when I heard the later DVD/Blu-Ray releases took out some of Phil Hartman Jiji's one-liners and whatnot. I adored "Soaring" and "I'm Gonna Fly", and I just know I can't watch the current dub version without those songs in it (I do like the original JPN OP and ED songs. Especially the opening. It's quite catchy.) Heck, watching that dub would feel awkward to me due to the understandable changes.

And add me to the group of people that liked that the original Disney dub added the line for Jiji at the end of the movie, because even though nowadays I would have totally understood why Kiki couldn't talk to Jiji anymore, younger me would have been upset in a "....Why can't she talk to Jiji anymore?!?! Crying or Very sad " way.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
Finding the original Japanese version of a decades-old anime movie or TV show on VHS/DVD/BD is not easy. By that, I mean the original version as it was presented on Japanese movie or TV screens. With all the digital tweaking, it can make it hard to locate an orig. version, especially when it comes to being able to use after the orig. has lapsed its orig. copyrights and trademarks in both Japan and the USA.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:

I was surprised GKIDS was not able to get Ghibli to commission a fresh subtitle translation. It would have had been a reason to upgrade!
Do you know if GKid's release of Princess Mononoke also still uses dubtitles? That's disappointing that they weren't able to get a new translation for Kiki's.
I've heard Princess Mononoke has an accurate translation on GKIDS re-release.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Finding the original Japanese version of a decades-old anime movie or TV show on VHS/DVD/BD is not easy. By that, I mean the original version as it was presented on Japanese movie or TV screens. With all the digital tweaking, it can make it hard to locate an orig. version, especially when it comes to being able to use after the orig. has lapsed its orig. copyrights and trademarks in both Japan and the USA.

I find those things are quite easy to find on Yahoo Auctions Japan, and then I use a deputy service to ship them stateside. Of course those really are the "originals". With very few exceptions there are no subtitles and no dubbing, so you either need to know some Japanese or be familiar enough with the show that you understand it without the dialogue.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
As an interesting bit of trivia, because I've noticed that very few people know about it, but there is also a "collector's edition" VHS that has the original Japanese dialogue and music for Kiki.

Yep--If we found those at Suncoast, we'd always buy two:
One for ourselves, and one for eBay. Cool

(Although, of course, that was back when any subtitled VHS was a "Special Limited Collector's Edition".)
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
2nd hand stores like Mandarake are good for that, too.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I've heard Princess Mononoke has an accurate translation on GKIDS re-release.
That's a bit strange GKids was able to make an accurate updated translation for Princess Mononoke yet wasn't able to for Kiki for some reason. I recall Castle in the Sky's original release also used dubtitles. Are those also fixed? Is Kiki the only Disney release that doesn't have updated subtitles?
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
Going from memory here, but hopefully I'm still remembering it all correctly.

Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky originally had accurate subtitle translations on their initial DVD releases, although Castle had mistimed subs here and there. So while Disney's stand-alone BDs for both suddenly developed a bad case of dubtitles for whatever reason, the proper sub tracks still existed somewhere for Disney to later reuse for their Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki release and then later for the GKIDS releases.

Kiki's Delivery Service never had a straight literal subtitle track on any release. Its original bilingual DVD releases, as well as the Collected Works and GKIDS releases, all use the Streamline dubtitles, which are still dubtitles but are often fairly accurate much more often compared to the Disney dubtitles, which only existed on Disney's standalone BD release. So while the GKIDS release would still be a step up from the standalone Disney BD release, it's still not entirely accurate.

The other way of putting it is that IIRC GKIDS used what was available on the Japanese releases, which were the accurate subs for Mononoke/Castle and the Streamline dubtitles for Kiki.

I believe The Cat Returns had dubtitles on its original DVD release, but it's had accurate subs ever since. And the Disney BD of Pom Poko also had straight dubtitles, whereas the included DVD had more literal subs aside from translating 'tanuki' as 'raccoons' and, according to Junker Woland on The Fandom Post forums, downplayed a few cultural references. GKIDS likewise uses the more accurate (but not perfect) DVD subtitles rather than the previous BD dubtitles.

Long story short, to the best of my knowledge the GKIDS releases are still by far the best US releases to get (if you don't mind the dub music and lines reverting to resemble the original Japanese version for Kiki), and they fix most of the other various issues the Disney BDs had. The dub of Kiki still has that weird echo or whatever problem it's always had, though. But I'm not a dub fan so I never paid much attention to the details there.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
I like Answerman editions that also cover the history of older dubs because there is that nostalgic factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4