• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

I agree with this, but again, it was just Futaba self expository narration and Sakuta pushing her at every turn.

I interpreted it more as Sakuta giving Futaba the push she needed to reconcile herself to her real feelings. He couldn't do for her, but he could give her a pep talk to push her into taking that first step for herself.

That said, I'm kind of mixed on her arc as a whole. I liked the resolution of it, but the idea that Futaba kept posting sexy pictures and didn't get one harassing message til the train scene is kind of laughable in this day and age. Maybe if she'd been younger, I could buy that she wouldn't really have a grasp on the real-world consequences of sexting, but for a 17-18 year old, that just doesn't fly for me.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the show. The premise is difficult, but let's put that into perspective. They aren't claiming say, superheroes or goblins or slimes or some stupid mobile game is real. Just adolescent syndrome. If the suspension of disbelief is hard for you on this one, try pretending they are all zombies. Zombies are more believable right?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I can comfortably call this show pretty damn good. Not yet certain whether or not it's my favourite of the season, but it's certainly a contender.

Zof wrote:
I'm enjoying the show. The premise is difficult, but let's put that into perspective. They aren't claiming say, superheroes or goblins or slimes or some stupid mobile game is real. Just adolescent syndrome. If the suspension of disbelief is hard for you on this one, try pretending they are all zombies. Zombies are more believable right?

I suspect it's something like the Uncanny Valley, where something that's very fantastical is fine, and mundane reality is fine, but something close to mundane reality with a bit of fantasy is a bit jarring. Personally I love this show all the same, but if I had to guess why people have a problem with suspension of disbelief on it, that's it.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
At this point, I can comfortably call this show pretty damn good. Not yet certain whether or not it's my favourite of the season, but it's certainly a contender.

Zof wrote:

I suspect it's something like the Uncanny Valley, where something that's very fantastical is fine, and mundane reality is fine, but something close to mundane reality with a bit of fantasy is a bit jarring. Personally I love this show all the same, but if I had to guess why people have a problem with suspension of disbelief on it, that's it.

Dayam. Bringing the insight. Thanks. That makes perfect sense.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
That said, I'm kind of mixed on her arc as a whole. I liked the resolution of it, but the idea that Futaba kept posting sexy pictures and didn't get one harassing message til the train scene is kind of laughable in this day and age. Maybe if she'd been younger, I could buy that she wouldn't really have a grasp on the real-world consequences of sexting, but for a 17-18 year old, that just doesn't fly for me.

iirc, it's not like she was getting the attention of hundreds of guys. Her posts were only getting maybe 10 likes at most, so clearly not a whole lot of people were following that account of hers. And I think most guys would be fine with just looking.

And we don't know that it was the first harassing message she got. You can usually just ignore those, but this person not only figured out who she was, but was even willing to blackmail her. That's not something you can just pretend isn't happening.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This episode felt rushed in the first half, but fell back into a nice pace again in the second. The first half could honestly be its own episode with how they tried pushing the emotional weight. Art also looked a bit sloppier than usual. First time I'm iffy on an episode in this series.

In other news, stop getting in the way of Sakuta's Mai time, mysterious syndrome! He looks like a hurt puppy not getting to see her as herself.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
This episode felt rushed in the first half, but fell back into a nice pace again in the second. The first half could honestly be its own episode with how they tried pushing the emotional weight. Art also looked a bit sloppier than usual. First time I'm iffy on an episode in this series.

In other news, stop getting in the way of Sakuta's Mai time, mysterious syndrome! He looks like a hurt puppy not getting to see her as herself.

Honestly, I kinda think they did that on purpose to build up a little anxiety. I don't think it worked, but I think the idea was we were supposed to be relating to her not being able to fill her sister's shoes and freaking out, but it fell flat. Like something was lost in translation. An example of this working is when you have empathy for Truman in the Truman Show because the pace of the camera work is evoking the mood he's feeling.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, maybe I'm being too empathetic, but I get the feeling the characters think that the fact that adolescent syndromes keep manifesting is quite lame, and a serious inconvenience. They've said as much. So you aren't alone. They completely agree with you. Just, they have no choice. They have to deal with it. That struggle to just get things back to normal long enough to have time with your damn girlfriend/boyfriend. That's one thing I love about this series so far. You aren't questioning Araragi's motives this time. This time he's completely and madly in love with Senjougahara and won't accept anyone else.
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
That cliffhanger was surprisingly mundane. I wonder if it'll even tie into a girl.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
If Kaede is next, people on the internet being mean to you seems connected to both Kaede and the cliffhanger.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I think the show has had enough outstanding episodes that we can forgive the style cribbing they've done from the Monogatari Series, just like we forgave Monogatari for stealing their style from Saynonara, Zetsubai Sensei.

Morry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
If Kaede is next, people on the internet being mean to you seems connected to both Kaede and the cliffhanger.

Ah, I didn't think about that. It is true that she was featured in her uniform.

If there's one complaint I have though, it is how abrupt the episode proper ended. It felt like there were a few seconds shaved off. Maybe it's because Mai's jealousy, or the source of it, will be the focus of these last few episodes, but it did feel a bit sudden.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
I think the show has had enough outstanding episodes that we can forgive the style cribbing they've done from the Monogatari Series, just like we forgave Monogatari for stealing their style from Saynonara, Zetsubai Sensei.

I don't think I would say Monogatari stole its style from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, given the same man was responsible for that style in both shows.
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Zof wrote:

I don't think I would say Monogatari stole its style from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, given the same man was responsible for that style in both shows.

No, I'd say thanks instead.

thanks instead!

Seriously, thanks. I did not see that connection. The only other connection I saw was a favorite voice actress.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story also wisely does not suggest that Kaede is “fixed,” only that she's made major progress.

On that note, it seems like in recent years (going back at least as far as 2013's Sasami-san Ganbaranai) there's been a shift in how mental illness is portrayed in anime. There's less playing it strictly for laughs and more working to sort out issues, even in comedic works. And sorting it out is portrayed (correctly) as being a process that takes time and effort, rather than the old-fashioned trope of "okay we've worked out what the cause is and said something inspirational, problem solved".
Quote:
Also worked in is further setup for the post-season arc about Shoko, with the implication being that there are either two of her at different ages or else two girls a couple of years apart with uncannily similar appearances and identical names.

We've already had two of the one person with Futaba, and uncannily similar appearance and identical names is too mundane. My money's on time travel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7