• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Itai no wa Iya nano de Bōgyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Novels Get Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
This sounds like 1 of the most tongue twister-happy LN titles I have seen or heard of (all those short words).
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
This sounds like fun. Looking forward to seeing a PV and I wonder who the staff and cast will be.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Okay, let's see. Am I missing any Narou titles? (Hyphen indicates upcoming anime, no hyphen means already aired or airing.)

Mahouka: Debuted 2008-10-12.
Log Horizon: Debuted 2010-04-13.
Knight's & Magic: Debuted 2010-10-16.
-Isekai Cheat Magician: Debuted 2012-04-06.
Re:Zero: Debuted 2012-04-20.
Isekai Izakaya "Nobu": Debuted 2012-10-18.
-The Rising of the Shield Hero: Debuted 2012-10-29.
KonoSuba: Debuted 2012-12-20.
Restaurant to Another World: Debuted 2013-01-04.
Reincarnated as a Slime: Debuted 2013-02-20.
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody: 2013-03-03.
Isekai Smartphone: Debuted 2013-04-08.
-Arifureta: Debuted 2013-11-07.
-My Next Life as a Villainess: Debuted 2014-07-06.
-The Magi's Grandson: Debuted 2015-01-02.
-So I'm a Spider, So What?: Debuted 2015-05-27.
-Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!: Debuted 2016-01-14.
-I'll Max Out VIT: Debuted 2016-06-28.
-Demon Lord, Retry!: Debuted 2016-10-10.
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas: Debuted 20??-??-?? (no original URL for the story known, would appreciate if anyone can find a blog post or something that linked to it while it was still online; I can figure out the date from the URL).
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
Do we really need another of the MMO-"inspired" garbage anime? Why is it that whenever gamers or video games are portrayed in anime or even fictions, it's always the hardcore MMORPG (Like the only exception I'm aware of was High Score Girl)? I'm pretty sure there are genres of video games outside MMORPG.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
I've heard the manga is cute, so I really hope the light novel gets licensed soon. At least soon enough that the first volume comes out before the anime premieres.
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
Oh. An anime about a virtual reality game, but with a twist. How quaint.

Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
I've been getting the LNs and following it in Comp Ace and it's one I'm really fond of (and have requested on licensing surveys). It's fun to see Maple, as a non-game, keep finding game breaking bugs to the point that the devs have to accept that she's going to do something unexpected and just have to deal with it somehow afterwards because she's becoming a poster child for the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Nice nice just keep em comin need way more isekai!!!
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
This sounds like 1 of the most tongue twister-happy LN titles I have seen or heard of (all those short words).

Yeah, which brings me to something I have been wondering for a while now. What is with writers given their light novels very long titles? It makes it uncomfortable to read and this one in particular seems to be one of the worse I have seen by far. There have been a few series with long titles I can accept such as That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime by Fuse and A Place Further than the Universe by Madhouse for example since I guess the titles in a way do a good job getting their point across with what the story is about and they are not a pain to read through, but the others are way~ to long then what they should be.

Ermat_46 wrote:
Do we really need another of the MMO-"inspired" garbage anime? Why is it that whenever gamers or video games are portrayed in anime or even fictions, it's always the hardcore MMORPG (Like the only exception I'm aware of was High Score Girl)? I'm pretty sure there are genres of video games outside MMORPG.

I can understand it must get tiring to see only stories that focus on the experience of playing MMO RPGs getting anime adaptations or anime in general that focus on MMOs, and it would be neat to see an anime in which has a character or characters get suck into another gaming genre (To share I do imagine the let's players/commentators I watch getting suck into video games and them going on adventures while hijinks ensues). However in terms of the quality of this upcoming anime adaptation it's yet to be seen whether this one is going to be garbage or not.

Zof wrote:

BlackPoint. wrote:
Nice nice just keep em comin need way more isekai!!!

Would this story really be an Isekai being that it's simply the characters playing an MMO as oppose to being literally transported to another world/universe?

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've been getting the LNs and following it in Comp Ace and it's one I'm really fond of (and have requested on licensing surveys). It's fun to see Maple, as a non-game, keep finding game breaking bugs to the point that the devs have to accept that she's going to do something unexpected and just have to deal with it somehow afterwards because she's becoming a poster child for the game.

Given from what I read from the summery and your comment this looks to be a fun series I might have a liken for. I particularly relate in a sense to Kaede not wanting to feel useless to everyone. I would like to give the light novels a try when have a means to and I will keep my eye out for the anime adaptation for next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Zof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:45 am Reply with quote
ballinamon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
OMG!! I like this novel.

READY FOR THE MORE RIDICULOUS SHIELD USER?

With Bakarina and this is the start of the time of female MCs in adaptations of novels, or I would like to believe it.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Did you by any chance watch Gamers?

Aquasakura wrote:
Yeah, which brings me to something I have been wondering for a while now. What is with writers given their light novels very long titles? It makes it uncomfortable to read and this one in particular seems to be one of the worse I have seen by far. There have been a few series with long titles I can accept such as That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime by Fuse and A Place Further than the Universe by Madhouse for example since I guess the titles in a way do a good job getting their point across with what the story is about and they are not a pain to read through, but the others are way~ to long then what they should be.

Oreimo opened the floodgates, I suppose.

Aquasakura wrote:
Would this story really be an Isekai being that it's simply the characters playing an MMO as oppose to being literally transported to another world/universe?

VRMMO is isekai. Has been since SAO set off the boom. I don't make the rules.

(Seriously, in webnovels, the boundary is porous as hell. So much of the Standard 2010s Isekai Setting is game-inspired anyway.)
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
Hmm only isekai or yuri now that is a law I can get behind. Though I do wonder why it cant be isekai and yuri as well....
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Zof wrote:
Hmm only isekai or yuri now that is a law I can get behind. Though I do wonder why it cant be isekai and yuri as well....

I'm kinda joking but at the same time... yeah, that wouldn't be bad at all. Most Isekai at least has an interesting hook that actually persists for the duration of the show. Compare that to the mileage you get out of say, a typical Reality based TV show.

Right?

Fake Reality Wins Again!

And as far as Yuri, I complain that it's turning into an "Addon Feature" basically. Like,

"Well, you ordered the leather seats, and the cupholders, and the robotic dashboard ego stroker. Want to add Yuri? It's very popular. We'll just change this character, or just copy and paste this girl here then make them fall in love."

That being said, most of it has been excellent. So we are back to that whining needlessly aspect of things like with Isekai. People should just be happy the shows are great.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
^ It would actually be problematic if seasons were fill with nothing but Isekai and Yuri. The thing is genres are the attitudes of stories and people resonate differently with different genres. Even if a story from a particular genre is of high quality that does not mean its going to appeal to everyone. It's one thing when a season is dominated by shows that share the same genre, like what happen earlier this year when the Winter 2018 anime season was dominated by slice of life shows for example, as the people who are not into those genres can just not participate (or participate a little if there are shows that resonate with them) and wait until another season comes along that would potentially have the stories they are looking for, but to have a season in which there is nothing but one or two genres all the time means there is nothing for the people to look forward to unless they are among those who love the genre(s) that are being focus on only.

However even for those people this could also be problematic as at some point they are going to experience the problem of burn out. From what I have gather it seems that one of main causes of anime burnout is when a person watches nothing but a certain genre of show so much to the point they get bored with it after enough views. Variety is one our basic human needs (and it's also what got many people,myself included, into anime in the first place given the testimonies I heard from anime fans over the years), and without that it leas to stagnation which is not good. It's for this reason that I have been generally trying to give the new anime of this season a try instead of just sticking with the ones that are of a genre that I like.

Another thing this could end up limiting the style in terms of story telling as well as dampen in reputation. It's enough that there are people out there who have limited views on what anime is and what the style is capable of. To have anime shows only focus on certain genres is going to further validate their views.

As to why there are people complaining about Isekai stories, I do not know your experience as to what people have said of this sub-genre of fantasy and you are welcome to share the problems people have complain about this sub-genre, but from what I have gather it seems that much of the problems people have with Isekai is that there is simply too much of it. It does not help the fact that most of those stories seem to use the same basic premise of the protagonist (as well as other characters in some stories) getting killed and and being reincarnated into another world (which while I have not seen many Isekai stories that use this premise save for one so far, which actually took a different approach to it from what I have read, can see that this is getting old. It would be nice if writers could find other means of getting the characters transported into other world without killing them).

Shay Guy wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:

Oreimo opened the floodgates, I suppose.

That light novel series did had a long title to it. Hm. . . I guess that might be one possibility.

Shay Guy wrote:

Aquasakura wrote:

VRMMO is isekai. Has been since SAO set off the boom. I don't make the rules.

(Seriously, in webnovels, the boundary is porous as hell. So much of the Standard 2010s Isekai Setting is game-inspired anyway.)

It would seem there is no clear standard given what you said when it comes to this sub-genre. I was asking earlier because while the setting of VRMMO, as well as the other stories you mention, are fantastical being that they are virtual reality that seems to be more in the realm of science fiction then fantasy.

Well thanks for answering my questions, Shay. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1