• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boarding School Juliet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
I think the episode did drag a little. This was mostly one chapter, which they stretched to its absolute limit to fit 20 minutes. Stuff like Kocho being caught by Inuzuka or the overall flow of the comedy makes it very noticeable. This adaptation is definitely at its best when the jokes are snappier.

That said, this episode is important both from a worldbuilding perspective and a setup for what's to come. Now the next episode. THAT'S going to be the show spinning its wheels.
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Opening scene stabs loli in the face within 10 seconds... xD
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Things take a turn when Romio, needing to avoid being seen while on Dahlia street, ends up in disguise as Char's chaperone, meaning the two will have to learn to get along if they want their shopping date to go smoothly.

Was it more that Char needed Romio to act as her chaperone that attends the same school as she does so she can shop for Juliet's present without having law enforcement pestering her about her safety?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It was nice in this episode that we got to learn a bit more about Char; particularly how she became so selfish to the point of using people and why she became good friends with Juliet. I wonder if that underwear she gave Romio is going to come in handy down the road. My guess is the chances of that happening are likely.

Now I am curious how Romio is going to deal with his older brother Airu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I wonder if that underwear she gave Romio is going to come in handy down the road. My guess is the chances of that happening are likely.

How wrong you were.

Well, we have three chapters left to cover the next two episodes. This one felt a little bit stretched out again, but it was inevitable to end things on a proper conclusion. I hope the rest of you enjoy!

If this series somehow gets a second season, I hope it'll be two cours so we can again get to a proper end point.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to disagree a bit with the review in how Romeo and Juliet are portrayed in both versions. While the originals were more reckless, at the end of the day they didn't do it for giggles. If their families weren't stubborn jerks, they would have just asked for permission to get married. The vibe I get in both stories is that the relationship is harmless, the problem is everyone else blowing up an already stupid conflict completely out of proportion.

As a manga reader, however, I have to say the stakes in the anime are hazier, not sure if intentional or not. We know for sure they'll be bullied and maybe kicked out but (big manga spoilers here) spoiler[ the last interdorm couple weren't expelled and while they were bullied until they dropped, there was none of these massive consecuences Airu is saying there will be ][/spoiler]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
. . . no matter how silly it is that the omni-talented heir-apparent to a large-scale army of aristocrats somehow needed weeks of intensive training to learn how to use an egg timer to make sure her sugar cookies don't burn.

Truth. I've been baking cookies since I was a little kid, so I know well that perfect cookies aren't easy, but making them that bad actually takes effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Clearly no one taught her how to use a timer. Laughing
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Aquasakura wrote:
I wonder if that underwear she gave Romio is going to come in handy down the road. My guess is the chances of that happening are likely.

How wrong you were.

Yes, I was wrong. Very Happy I was surprise the lingerie was left in his room, but when I think about it he must have put it there before meeting with Juliet at the library. It was a funny moment Airu questioning Romio why he is possessing lingerie.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Besides the stakes being raise in this episode making the story more interesting as well as Romio actually thinking far ahead in his plan to escape his brother's clutches to see Juliet, and the emotional moment when Juliet was expressing how concern she is towards Romio situation, the one thing I love most about this episode was seeing how much Hatsuki cares for Romio. From lying to Airu to cover for Romio. helping him walk after having a rough Kendo practice with Airu, to her expressing her worry about Romio being expelled from school it all felt sweet to me. It was also nice to see Romio being appreciative of the fact she cares for him and helped him out with covering for him (until the lingerie was brought up that is Very Happy) At this point I should just as well ship those two. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
All endcard artists so far:

Ep 1 - Mashima Hiro (Fairy Tail, Edens Zero)

Ep 2 - Haruba Negi (Gotoubun no Hanayome/Quintessal Quintuplets)

Ep 3 - Yoshikawa Miki (Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, Yamada and the 7 Witches)

Ep 4 - Watanabe Shizumu (Real Account)

Ep 5 - Yamamoto Alfred (Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shitemita/Proving Falling in Love via Science)

Ep 6 - Soborou (Nande Koko ni Sensei ga/ Why Are You Here, Sensei)

Ep 7 - Tiv (Masamune-kun's Revenge)

Ep 8 - Akasaka Aka (Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To)

Ep 9 - Peach-Pit (Shugo Chara, Rozen Maiden)

Ep 10 - Akamatsu Ken (Love Hina, Negima, UQ Holder)

Quite a number of notable names here.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
^ Thanks for sharing this zztop. I was not aware that the person responsible for the end card feature last episode was from Ken Akamatsu. He is one of my favorite artist. His style of drawing has change.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Art was definitely awful this episode, though not unwatchable. Hopefully it will get polished up for the blu-rays. Such a weird episode to have production issues for. This better not bleed into the finale.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If there's one thing I wanted this finale to give me more of, it would have to be some character development and screen-presence for Airu. He's a decent enough antagonist from a plot perspective, functioning as a living manifestation of the societal pressures being put on Romio and Juliet, but he's lacking as a character overall. The stoic authoritarian sibling is a trope that's been beaten to death countless times over the years, and when such a character is lacking in complex characterization or interesting motivations, they end up being little more than glorified speedbumps in more interesting characters' journeys. His grilling of Romio and Juliet was a solid way to bring their secrets out in this finale, but there wasn't much tension to be felt, since we don't care at all about Airu's personal investment in the proceedings, and it's obvious that Romio and Juliet will find a way out of it somehow.

I wonder if this is due to the fact that this is only one part of the story we have seen so far (I do not know exactly what percentage), and that for the case of Airu this was more of a introduction to him and how much of a threat he can potentially be towards Romio and Juliet. Given that the manga this anime is base on is still continuing there is a possibility that down the road we could learn the reasons for why Airu is the way he is, and how soon that story reveals the motivation behind his ghost, the likely this revelation can appear in a second season of this anime if its decided that Liden Films would continue with this series.

Quote:
it's thrilling enough to see Juliet be the one to use her wits to devise a dangerously clever exit strategy.

As well as overall typical of her. It seems that Juliet can better come up with a quick solution to get out of a messy situation then Romio who always ends up stuck. What would Romio do without Juliet, as well as Hatsuki who has also help him out when he was in a pickle.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Boarding School Juliet to me was a fun series to watch and is the only romantic comedy I can think of in recent memory that has gotten me to laugh. The climax of the first season was intense with Airu catching on to what Romio and Juliet were doing and the duel Juliet and Romio stage to convince the others that they still hated each other. The duel to me was reminiscent of the scene in the original story in which Romio and Juliet killed themselves for their love so I was thinking if this was going to be similar (though I knew the two were going to make it alive given that I was told the story goes a different route from the stage play it's base on after this arc). I would like to see this anime continue, but if not the manga is being publish where I live and I plan to pick it up at some point to continue with the story.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The anime roughly covered about the 1st 19 manga chapters IIRC.

Chp 86 is the latest from Japan.

The prefect elections mentioned in the anime ending is significant in the later chapters, as spoiler[Romio's attempts to become prefect conflict with those of prefect assistant Inugami Reon, who intends to be elected to fulfill her personal agenda of chasing out all the Western students from the school. Reon's the biracial daughter of a Western woman and Touwa father; and the mother's family kidnapped her mother back to the West and forbade Reon from ever seeing her again. She swore vengeance against the West and will do anything to win the elections and get her way, even if it means exposing Romio's secret romance...]
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Quote:
If there's one thing I wanted this finale to give me more of, it would have to be some character development and screen-presence for Airu. He's a decent enough antagonist from a plot perspective, functioning as a living manifestation of the societal pressures being put on Romio and Juliet, but he's lacking as a character overall. The stoic authoritarian sibling is a trope that's been beaten to death countless times over the years, and when such a character is lacking in complex characterization or interesting motivations, they end up being little more than glorified speedbumps in more interesting characters' journeys. His grilling of Romio and Juliet was a solid way to bring their secrets out in this finale, but there wasn't much tension to be felt, since we don't care at all about Airu's personal investment in the proceedings, and it's obvious that Romio and Juliet will find a way out of it somehow.

I wonder if this is due to the fact that this is only one part of the story we have seen so far (I do not know exactly what percentage), and that for the case of Airu this was more of a introduction to him and how much of a threat he can potentially be towards Romio and Juliet. Given that the manga this anime is base on is still continuing there is a possibility that down the road we could learn the reasons for why Airu is the way he is, and how soon that story reveals the motivation behind his ghost, the likely this revelation can appear in a second season of this anime if its decided that Liden Films would continue with this series.

IIRC the manga's covered the 1st 19 chapters. Currently there's 86 chapters in Japan.
You find out more on Airu's backstory around the 56th-57th chapter.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote
^Thank you for sharing this zztop. However if that is the case and assuming if Liden Films decides to adapt the same amount of chapters for a season two, then that would mean the anime would not be able to cover Airu backstory unless it's decided that a season 3 would be made, and it's way too early to be thinking of a possibility of that.

So what volume is chapters 56-57 publish in?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4