• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Highschool of the Dead Manga Artist Says 'It's Not Easy' to Draw Continuation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Always sad when a stoyteller dies mid project. I mean if your lucky there might be notes and people they were close too who they share there idea's with.. but finishing it as intended without a serous loss of quality is nigh impossible.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Many comic book creators don't own their works which can be a good or really crappy thing. Same thing with animated shows which are owned by the networks that produced them.

I'm already familiar with that already, the creators of Superman and their family was even involved in a huge legal dispute with DC over the copyright for Superman. In Japan, often the manga creator would sign over the management of the copyright to their work to the publisher. I did some research about who own the copyright to manga and found this research paper about it.

http://facweb.cs.depaul.edu/noriko/JapanTrip08/JETRO-market_info_manga.pdf
(Page 5 is when they talk about who own the copyright)

So even through the manga publisher has control over the work, they still don't take a story and pass it around from one person to the next like in America. So just because a company can legally do something, that doesn't mean that they should do it. Just look at all the direct-to-video Disney sequels as a example.

Although it possible for something good to come out of the system that DC and Marvel is using, a lot of people have no idea what going on in the American superhero comic environment. These comics have been going on for a long time, a bunch of people are involved, they are constantly changing, etc. The American superhero comic environment just got too convoluted for many people. That kind of reason many people gravitated to manga, the original creator begin the story and they often end the story.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
kiminobokuwa wrote:
But, I don't think anyone has any interest in HOTD anymore.

Let me tell you, you'd be surprised. Give us a chapter and the whole community will come out of the woodworkd.

I agree. I was always on the lookout for updates ever since it went on haitus and was heartbroken when he died cause I knew it was never coming back.

Soulwarfare wrote:
This is one of the biggest fears with these manga authors is that they could pass away before they finish the story.

Sadly, this seems to be the case for HOTD and I don't think anyone is going to attempt to finish this story.

I wouldn't want anyone to continue the story. The author is dead so the story is dead too. As the editor said no one else could tell it in the way the original author could that made it famous in the first place. Even if you continue it with the same name and artist it's still a completely different story.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Yes, the international community is so in love with this show, though God knows for which aspect really, the harem, the ecchi, the over the top impossible action scenes or just the zombies. Most can't allowed themselves to remember Gakkou Gurashi in any way since it doesn't featured anything else except the z word, meanwhile High School of the Dead offers nudity even to disgruntled viewers. And oh, that other show got romance and a male protagonist so, more in touch with your usual anime fans of course, as CGDCT characters can't be sunken into. I for one, would like to see more of Gakkou Gurashi instead in animated form but that's probably not gonna happen. This world needs more of absurd breast physique, out of place lewd fanservice, harem situation, and prolonged nudity in an apocalyptic setting, because it's what people wants.
Yeah, I'm sure anime fans would never go for CGDCT. Rolling Eyes
Firefly251

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
My god, when was the last time I saw this manga mentioned?? It's a shame, as an artist I know how hard it is to continue writing or drawing a story after you've put the pen down for months. But, I don't think anyone has any interest in HOTD anymore. I know my 12 year old self was interested, now?? Not anymore. I would still love to see it be continued though, even if it's just fun nonsense.

I was waiting for the teacher perv to get his just desserts v_v

sure its fanservice was high, but it was an enjoyable anime and it sucks knowing its dead.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
understandable given that the author is no longer with us.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Cant believe I didn't notice the article sooner. My vision is getting worse. And my guess back then about vol 14 was right when I first read it. Shoji intentionally made it look like a zombie apocalypse even though spoiler[they werent actually zombies in the traditional zombie movie sense anyway] as a throwback to HOTD.
Feli1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
one of my first and guilty pleasure animes
Nico_Astray

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Well that came out of nowhere. I'm sure some people would be happy with just adapting it as Inazuma, but I'd get his continuation in any case.
The guy worked with him and manages Traige X alone, so I'd think Sato would be the one most suitable here.
tomdean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
jeez. I liked HOTD and it was entertaining, but get over yourselves, it's not Miyazaki, it's not Deathnote, Slam Dunk, or even commercial behemoths like Love Live, if any of them stopped half way, I can understand the pressure, but HOTD is at best an entertaining cliche ridden parody(HOTD is a paradoy of Dawn of the Dead, which in itself a parody...wait a minute folks, we seem to have an inception of the dead here...), at worst, yet another anime with gigantor boobs we don't need

if people want closure, a noble sentiment which i can perfectly relate, then just write the damn thing and let it be over with.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
You know, I actually had no idea that the manga story writer was dead. O_O;

I knew the series went on hiatus years ago because of some weird commotion which caused the manga duo to quit for a while, but I just figured that was the reason we weren't getting any new chapters. Not because the manga writer's health was in pretty bad condition. Wow. I guess HOTD will just be one of those "limbo" series from now on.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
. The American superhero comic environment just got too convoluted for many people. That kind of reason many people gravitated to manga, the original creator begin the story and they often end the story.

Sometimes unsatisfactorily and in this case not at all.
lilroy_anime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I don't think anyone has any interest in HOTD anymore.

You are completely wrong!

Do you know that currently there is an ongoing petition for HSOTD to be given to another studio/Author to have both the Manga and Series completed? I bet you don't.

The first time I saw the post only 5000 people had signed

But now there are over 47k Supporters!

So speak for yourself only and don't say others are not interested, cause there are people (me included) trying seriously to bring the series back.

If you don't believe me you can check it out for your self here https://firstinfosite.com/2018/12/27/latest-trending-anime-news-highschool-of-the-dead-season-two-petition-update-december-2018/
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
It's sad but I think it's what the author would have wanted. No regrets.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
And nothing changed sad but that is the way it is
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3