• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 Protagonist Joker to Join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighting Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
Guess this is someone else I can toss in the "Um, who?" pile with most of the Fire Emblem and Xenoblade people.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Given Smash track record up until now the fact there is an Atlus character that is going to be in Smash, while surprising, is also not that ground breaking either. Ever since Brawl it's been made clear that any character (so as long the series they are from started off as a video game) can get in Smash.

I wish I could find the article to link to, but during the lead up to Smash 3DS/Wii U I remember Sakurai being asked about how they select third-party characters, and he said that a major factor is how iconic/recognizable the character is. Consider that at that point confirmed characters included Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man.

Sure, Bayonetta isn't on that level of popularity and even the Belmonts may not be noticed by your average Joe, but the former had its sequel funded/published by Nintendo so she doesn't seem like a big leap, while the latter are from a long-running and extremely influential series for the medium.

Admittedly, Sakurai outright said he wasn't in charge of selecting DLC characters this time around, but still, any Atlus character, even from their most successful game, seemed like a genuine impossibility compared to other third-party characters.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Not only was this quite the surprise, but this marks the second time Ryu and Joker are in a crossover. They also both appeared in Granblue Fantasy mobile prior.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
YOU....GOT....TO...BE....KIDDING ME!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

This is like something totally different. But then again I'm sure Nintendo has ad access to Atlus material at some point in time.

Well, if Sonic can be part of Nintendo now why not. Crossovers are a good thing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Crossovers are a good thing.

My philosophy exactly. Thank you, Chrno2.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Heishi wrote:
So much hype!!

Super excited to a Persona character in Smash. I kinda had a feeling it would happened, but it did.

*waits patiently for either Klonoa or Ragna the Bloodedge*

Well, at least Klonoa appeared in Namco x Capcom, a game that features Ryu, who of course is in Smash. And I think Ragna connects to them somehow (have Persona 4 characters crossed over with Persona 5 ones by any chance?).

You know, compromises.

I mean Ragna just directly connects to them, no need for a crossover Bacon number thing with him. There have been several BlazBlue games on Nintendo systems.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

I wish I could find the article to link to, but during the lead up to Smash 3DS/Wii U I remember Sakurai being asked about how they select third-party characters, and he said that a major factor is how iconic/recognizable the character is. Consider that at that point confirmed characters included Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man.

Sure, Bayonetta isn't on that level of popularity and even the Belmonts may not be noticed by your average Joe, but the former had its sequel funded/published by Nintendo so she doesn't seem like a big leap, while the latter are from a long-running and extremely influential series for the medium.

Admittedly, Sakurai outright said he wasn't in charge of selecting DLC characters this time around, but still, any Atlus character, even from their most successful game, seemed like a genuine impossibility compared to other third-party characters.

I have heard something about that. Yes how iconic/recognizable a character is also factors in as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

I mean Ragna just directly connects to them, no need for a crossover Bacon number thing with him. There have been several BlazBlue games on Nintendo systems.

Sure. And it would be cool to have him in it. I’m just showing how, assuming it doesn’t happen, Ragna can still show some connection (and as I said sometime after that post, he does). I mean, how else are we going to kinda sorta get Goku in Smash? (Ryu meets Tekken characters in a few crossover games, and the Tekken 6 version of Lars Alexandersson appears in Naruto Shippuden UNS2, and of course Naruto has met Goku in several other games).
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Before you know it, we'll be seeing Saber from Fate/Stay Night fighting side by side with the Doom Guy.

This really is the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

This is like something totally different. But then again I'm sure Nintendo has ad access to Atlus material at some point in time.

Well, if Sonic can be part of Nintendo now why not. Crossovers are a good thing.

Megaten (the franchise which Persona is part of) started in Nintendo console. Half of the franchise releases in this decade are on 3DS. While Persona is mostly Sony exclusive, its spin off (PersonaQ) is also on 3DS.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Megaten (the franchise which Persona is part of) started in Nintendo console. Half of the franchise releases in this decade are on 3DS. While Persona is mostly Sony exclusive, its spin off (PersonaQ) is also on 3DS.

Yep. I have started to remember seeing some material on Nintendo. And yep, you still see the franchise on both systems. Sony and Nintendo. I will say, every fight game is putting every character they can in their games. I'm still baffled with Bayonetta. Speaking of which she better be in the roster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2