• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bloom Into You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
@Soocrates: I agree that there should be some 'click' initially in order to fall in love, but the realization does not have to come immediately. Our own demons can make us feel detached from our desires. I think Yuu was actually already kind of physically in love with Touko at the start. She already mentioned how cool and beautiful Touko was then and sought contact. She was too influenced by shoujo manga and the belief she wasn't able to fall in love. I think that initially she just didn't notice how she felt, but Touko's strong words about not wanting Yuu to love her plus the death stare made it almost impossible for Yuu to admit her feelings to herself and to Touko. It seems like this 'forbidden' feeling made Yuu feel even more attracted to Touko though.
As for the reviewers opinion that Touko would just accept Yuu's feelings like that?
I'm sceptical. Touko really doesn't want to give her perfect sister role up. The way it is now, she can vent her feelings on Yuu without showing the real Touko to others. A relationship means that she's not everyone's Touko but Yuu's Touko, thus not a figure everyone can rely on AND it would make it obvious that Touko indeed has 'different' sides to her than the ideal image she and the world has of her. It would make her feel vulnerable and more scared of rejection, since not everyone would like this Touko.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I find it amusing that during the Sports Day event, I almost mistaken Touko as Asuka from Sound! Euphonium especially during her more enthusiastic outbursts. Also I did not expect an insert song during the race which was a really nice touch especially that enamored look Yuu made towards Touko. And need I say more about the shed scene? Cool
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Shed scene = best scene. It’s hard not to cheer for Yuu, no matter where she ends up.

I have to imagine they’re going to pull out all the stops for spoiler[the aquarium date] and I won’t be surprised if that turns into montage with music.

Really hope there’s a blu-ray and the turnaround is quick. I don’t buy much physical media but I will make an exception for this show.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
Sentai has been pretty good on limited deluxe editions on titles I would have never expect to get one (Chihayafuru and Flip Flappers, anyone?) so I hope the eventual Bloom Into You disc release will get the same treatment.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The shed scene is, by far, the best of the series so far. However, it still ends with Yuu in denial, stating that she can hear a heart beat, but it must be Sempai's, because it's far to fast to be hers. (Because her heart wouldn't be racing like that, since she doesn't have those type of feelings... nope... not at all... don't have em... not one bit... just ... kiss me again? please?)
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I think hydrangea colors were just supposed to represent the characters since we got 3 colors for 3 girls, paired in all three possible combinations.

You are right. At the time I was only focusing on Yuu and Touko (especially since as I was typing my last comment it was time for me to head to work). I checked back on episode 8 to see what color of hydrangea represents Sayaka and it looks to be a bit yellowish but also white. White hydrangeas are the symbol of purity, grace, and abundance which seem to fit Sayaka well, but the flowers also represent bragging and boasting. While Sayaka has not express those traits I do get this sense that she feels "important" in a way or something like that.

Another thing from checking back on episode 8 I have a clear idea which color of hydrangea represents Yuu and Touko, with the pink hydrangeas representing Yuu and the blue ones representing Touko. Given the meanings of those flowers they do fit those character well. Thanks for pointing this out Yuvelir. It has become a more clear. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
I am worried that we’re not going to have enough time to get this all wrapped up, but I’m not going anywhere!

Yuu’s sister talking to her mom is great, showing just how perceptive her sister is compared to, say, almost everybody else around her. Yuu’s clearly really in love and trying really hard to not acknowledge it, but hey, we gotta have that breakthrough at the end, right? Right!? Seriously, I want a happy ending for these two so bad...
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Koyomi manages to be weirdly perceptive yet completely clueless about the dynamics among the council members.

I think it has something to do with her personality type (if I suspect what her personality is correct). Either way Koyumi has been showing potential for becoming a great novelist ever since we first learn that was what she wanted to do in life. She has shown during her discussion with Yuu and the sports festival she has a grasp on the basics of creating characters, and now we see that she is so perceptive of others that she can model characters after people, and do such a good job with it.

Quote:
Riko and Miyako got a great flirty scene during Riko's phone call with an old classmate. It was just fanservice, but it was great fanservice.

That was my most favorite moment in that entire episode. I love the Miyako is so forward towards Riko. Anime smile It makes me imagine what Miyako would do if she feels like getting intimate with Riko.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
You know a series is doing right things with the main characters when they made the mundane compelling to watch. It's such a nice relief to see Yuu and Touko just talking on the phone in the end. With the way the post credits scene played out, I'd imagine this series will more likely end on Touko's inner problems getting resolved and not get to the actual play they're working. Unless of course there's a surprise announcement of a Season 2.

On a side note, I want a Riko/Miyako spinoff series, please! Cool
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
^ I second that! Cool
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
I am worried that we’re not going to have enough time to get this all wrapped up, but I’m not going anywhere!

The manga is continuing, so that was always going to be the case. I'm pretty sure we now know where they're going to leave things, but give it a couple years and there'll be enough material for an S2.

FWIW, I'm starting to think this is my AOTY.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^In all likelihood, there probably wasn't any bullying or any other precipitating event that caused Sayaka's senpai to act like that. That idea of being a lesbian being just a "phase" is, or at least was, so ingrained in Japanese society that that sort of romance is a genre unto itself, the Class S that others have referred. You don't need any bullies to tell you how things "really" are when society has been doing that the whole time.

your fly is down wrote:
i get that but how her senpai went from loving someone to just dismissing the notion all together could have been very interesting. because the whole alienation of homosexuality as "the other" is just as much an issue as young teens discovering sexuality.
although you are right in that it would likely play out as a class S story type rather than telling us anything new. loving the series as a whole so far. especially since its one that is more literal in its story than YKA which was metaphorical to the max (although i loved that part of it)

I have to repeat that Sayaka and her sempai have never been in a Class S relationship. Such a relationship has never been considered something strange for Japanese girls, because it is perceived as a sisterhood with strong emotional ties. In our case, the girls not only openly perceived their relationship as romantic, but also had intimate acts like kissing.

You might as well say that bromance is when you "like guys", so the phrase "I used to be in a Class S relationship, but now I'm not a lesbian," would sound like very thick trolling for the Japanese.

Yes, the author refers to the prejudices that homosexual relations are only a phase, but from the very beginning they had an open homosexual relationship, regardless of the intentions of her senpai.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Not to spoil things too much...

spoiler[It avoids the cliches. Completely.]
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they went to "your sister wasn't nearly as perfect as you though" route, but I think it would have been way more interesting if it had been built up naturally rather than just info dumped on her by a character we'd never meet before.

I think it would have been more interesting if instead they had tried to run the play at the same time as the festival and it would have turned into a big clusterfuck, making a mess of both the play and the entire festival and use this situation to let the realization that her sister wasn't perfect naturally occur to Touko. Maybe at first she'd think of how amazing her sister was to make it work so she'd look into how exactly she'd have done it and slowly piece together the puzzle that she didn't and it was a mess back then too. Her acceptation of it was a bit too easy.

I'm also a bit miffed that apparently her dad also didn't know that the sister wasn't a perfect person, from his comment to Touko that she didn't have to be her sister. Could have been a nice moment with the parent struggling between letting her keep her perfect sister image or telling her the truth.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I think it would have been more interesting if instead they had tried to run the play at the same time as the festival and it would have turned into a big clusterfuck, making a mess of both the play and the entire festival and use this situation to let the realization that her sister wasn't perfect naturally occur to Touko. Maybe at first she'd think of how amazing her sister was to make it work so she'd look into how exactly she'd have done it and slowly piece together the puzzle that she didn't and it was a mess back then too. Her acceptation of it was a bit too easy.

I'm also a bit miffed that apparently her dad also didn't know that the sister wasn't a perfect person, from his comment to Touko that she didn't have to be her sister. Could have been a nice moment with the parent struggling between letting her keep her perfect sister image or telling her the truth.

Except being that Mio passed away before she could pull off running the play when the time came for the culture festival would it be impossible for Touko to find out how she successfully done it?

As for Touko father, I took it he was trying to get his daughter to realize that she does not need to be pressure to follow in her sister's footsteps like her extended family seems to expect her to do. I think he might be aware that Mio was not perfect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8