• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Christmas Anime To Ring In The Season [2018-12-22]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hearts in Ice is a great Sailor Moon movie. It has the only antagonist who ever spoiler[defeated the Rainbow Moon Heartache].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Usually rerun articles say so, but there's no notation that this is a repeat from 2013. The comment that White Album was currently airing was a tip-off though.

The anime that really should be on this list is Saint Young Men. It has a Christmas (and New Year's) story to beat all others, since Jesus is one of the title characters. Very Happy
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
My Santa isn't a double meaning, it's a quadruple meaning. And I love the anime, but I'd like it better if it was full one hour movie, instead two thirty minute episodes
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I've known about Chocotto Sister for years-aside from some lolli stuff it's pretty good. It captures the meaning of xmas better than just about any other anime I've ever seen.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The only list My Santa should be on is things to stay far the hell away from. It wasn't even finished!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I love the bit in the Polar Bear Cafe Christmas episode with the penguin flashcards.

Sailor Moon S: The Movie is adorable, but it doesn't really use its cast that well, since at its heart, it's only really a story about Luna. Other than Usagi, you easily could have excluded every other main character, since Kakeru and Himeko take up more of the runtime than, say, Ami, Minako, Michuru, Mamoru, etc. I do love that Sailor Guardian barrier thing they do toward the end in the final showdown with Princess Snow Kaguya, though. It's kind of like the Sailor Teleport thing they did in the R movie.

But other good "Christmas anime" may include The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, that one episode of Read or Die The TV, the "Karaoke Killer" episode of Detective Conan/Case Closed, and the episode of Lupin III Part II with the lightsaber fisherman.

Also, I think the beginning of the fourth episode of Ghost in the Shell: Arise takes place around Christmas.

But most of these aren't really about Christmas, it's just the trimming, so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The only list My Santa should be on is things to stay far the hell away from. It wasn't even finished!

spoiler[I just knew that DVD was for you. Laughing]
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
No Amagami?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Usually rerun articles say so, but there's no notation that this is a repeat from 2013. The comment that White Album was currently airing was a tip-off though.

I must have somehow missed this list back in 2013. I don't why it didn't click for me when I clicked White Album's ANN profile. XD
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
There are three films which are compulsory viewing for me every Christmas:
It's a Wonderful Life (of course!)
Scrooge (the b/w version of A Christmas Carol starring Alistair Sim)
and
Tokyo Godfathers
- but, if I had to choose one, it would be Tokyo Godfathers every time.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Are there any winter anime one might recommend for a person who doesn't celebrate Christmas? My family isn't Christian, and my relatives mostly believe that only Christians should celebrate Christmas-- so I worry that I wouldn't be able to really relate to a lot of Christmas TV specials or movies, and I haven't gotten around to watching them as a result.

(We're Jewish, but I wasn't sure whether it was even worth it to ask if there were any Jewish anime characters in even a non-religious special context-- from what I know about Japan, the Christian population is apparently very small, and there are even less Muslims and Jews. The amount of canonically Muslim anime characters I can think of offhand could maybe fit on one hand.)

I have seen Saint Young Men out of curiosity (since it was never officially ported over to the States) and found it totally inoffensive, but as I said before, I'm neither Christian or Buddhist, so I wouldn't be a good measure of whether or not the series handles its religious influences well.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble curry sledding was robbed.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
Are there any winter anime one might recommend for a person who doesn't celebrate Christmas? My family isn't Christian, and my relatives mostly believe that only Christians should celebrate Christmas-- so I worry that I wouldn't be able to really relate to a lot of Christmas TV specials or movies, and I haven't gotten around to watching them as a result.

The Japanese don't really relate to Christmas either, as their concept of the holiday pretty much comes down to the "Christmas date", the Christmas cake, or Santa and his one reindeer.

And while Ranma 1/2's "Tendo Family Christmas Scramble" is traditional (what is a group Christmas party without a clean poker tournament? Anime smile ), it's pretty much just a cast rundown of running-character callbacks.
Ep. 75--or S3E11, for those who go by boxsets--"Step Outside!", is a cute episode with tangential Christmas plot lines, and more in the spirit of the show.
(With the exception of the clearly European character who keeps saying "It must be a miracle from God!", as if she was a character from Spice & Wolf.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
We're Jewish, but I wasn't sure whether it was even worth it to ask if there were any Jewish anime characters in even a non-religious special context

Obviously Jesus in Saint Young Men. Smile Benny in Black Lagoon is Jewish (“Besides, I’m Jewish. ‘F*ck the Nazis’ was a family creed.”), and there's an argument to be made that Spike Speigel is as well. Likewise the eponymous Professor Herschel Layton. Roger Smith's informant in Big O is Jewish spoiler[and a robot] and wears a yarmulke. Maybe Ohgi in Code Geass. Unless the huge Star of David on his jacket is just a fashion statement. There's Fritz Lang in FMA: Conqueror or Shambala, whose homunculus counterpart in Amestris was ironically the Fuhrer. Also King David was a Servant in the Fate: Grand Order game, but I don't know if he made it into the anime or not.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:

(We're Jewish, but I wasn't sure whether it was even worth it to ask if there were any Jewish anime characters in even a non-religious special context-

Benny from Black Lagoon is a Jewish American. He's the Lagoon Company's mechanic and computer expert. But outside the Greenback Jane arc, he doesn't do a whole lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3