• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Girl in the Twilight Anime Cancels DVD Release, Changes Single BD Release Volumes to BD Bo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I wonder why this one whiffed so hard. I REALLY liked it. Like it's probably my favorite anime this year.

And in the minds of fans both in the english speaking world and apparently also in japan, it's really like it kinda just doesn't exist.

It's not like even people say that it's bad, they just didn't watch it and don't care about it at all. I guess that's just the fate of everything I really like, isn't it? Confused

I think the reason because this show doesn't stand out among other release this season, which is important for original works. I mean, look at zombieland saga - first two episodes were a wild ride that garnered a LOT of attention. Akanesasu shoujo doesn't stand out with its story, nor quality-wise. I mean, it wasn't bad, but I didn't watched it past 1st episode, because there's like 20 series in my watch list this season. IMHO it lost fight for attention.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
How is The Girl is Twilight getting a blue-ray boxset seen as a bad thing? It seems more economical (if that is the right word to use) then releasing the episodes in volumes (especially considering how expensive the single DVDs/blu-rays seem to be in Japan).

DuskyPredator wrote:
Sad if the future of this is looking so uncertain, because the arcs after the first one were actually pretty good and creative.

You talk as if there was more to this story and that this anime was an adaptation of something else. If that is the case I would like to learn more, because while I thought the ending was sweet I can't help feel . . bother I guess, I do not know hot to describe it. Oh wait I think I know. I felt sad over over something that was never explained (well. . when I think about it it's a mixture of sadness and being bother).

Blanchimont wrote:

One has to remember that anime adaptations of light novels and manga, sometimes even games, aren't meant to tell the whole story, only the beginning part most of the time. It's a bonus if they do a full adaptation of source, but that usually only happens to super popular properties and the ones that have had that treatment can probably be counted with one's fingers...

This is the first I heard of this, but that would explain why studios create adaptations that only cover certain parts of books. I can understand popularity plays a factor into whether a studio would continue to adapt books/games (that seems to be the case with one anime adaptation I saw early this year that is getting a second season given the amount of attention and merchandise it's getting from what ANN reported over), but I wonder would this be the reason why it seems a lot of action/adventure stories (or "battle" manga it's called) seem to be almost guarantee to get adaptations that cover the entire story. Is this genre popular enough in Japan for those stories to get full adaptations or is it just me as the last I check the sports genre is consider the most popular genre within manga targeted towards boys?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It’s been several months since Sentai’s last DVD solicitation,

Not counting their new Hello Kitty releases which came out last month.

Makes me wonder if they'll continue the Sentai Kids line with more DVDs from here on out.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Kind of sad to see Animax's 20th anniversary project be a big flop. Between this and the closure of the PS4 app, it feels like the brand is dying out even in its home country.

NJ_ wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Makes me wonder if they'll continue the Sentai Kids line with more DVDs from here on out.

It ultimately depends on what they plan on releasing under that label. Kids shows still sell more on DVD than BD, but I'm talking about things that actually appeal to today's kids. Old nostalgia bait might be better suited to BD.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I had forgot about those, but that makes sense for a children’s line.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
It's not like even people say that it's bad, they just didn't watch it and don't care about it at all. I guess that's just the fate of everything I really like, isn't it? Confused

At least in my bubble it was loudly and widely derided. Pretty much everyone dropped it at one point or another.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch this show and in terms of female focused shows I watched Bloom Into You, Ms. vampire, Release the Spyce, Senran Kagura, and Zombie Land Saga. There is some risk with making an original show since it is competing against a lot of other shows including many that have an existing fan base. Also I think it was an issue that The Girl in the Twilight looked like it was a low key action show since this season had several prominent action shows.

Aquasakura wrote:
How is The Girl is Twilight getting a blue-ray boxset seen as a bad thing? It seems more economical (if that is the right word to use) then releasing the episodes in volumes (especially considering how expensive the single DVDs/blu-rays seem to be in Japan).
When a Japanese anime that was going to get volume releases suddenly switches to a box set that usually indicates that the pre-orders were lower than expected.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
^ I see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
@Aquasakura

In many cases (possibly most) the anime adaption of a light novel or manga series is intended to be an advertisement of the source material. In those cases the publisher of the source material is the major investor in the project. Because of this they are usually put out early in the series run while the manga or novel is still an ongoing thing. Much of the publishers return on their investment is supposed to be increased sales of the source series.

This is why an anime may create its own ending or simply go to the end of a narrative arc and stop. the idea is that if you still want more story, read the source material. Additional anime is usually scheduled only if the initial release is wildly popular and able to make money on its own. As noted above there are some series that act as an exception to this.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
This is a little disappointing to me since this is my second favourite of the season after Seishun Buta, and I loved a lot of this season. I was actually hoping to see more come out of it, because even though the series wrapped up the story I can see the potential for more, but I guess that might not happen...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I wonder why this one whiffed so hard. I REALLY liked it. Like it's probably my favorite anime this year.

And in the minds of fans both in the english speaking world and apparently also in japan, it's really like it kinda just doesn't exist.

Likely because it's not an isekai anime or based around idols or mechas.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
That is devastating. I like the show but frankly, I did not see anything special from it apart from the art and yuri. It is a shame because the main girl is one of the cutest ones this year.
qashairy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote
I don't mind waiting longer time for English Blu-ray version.
qashairy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
That is devastating. I like the show but frankly, I did not see anything special from it apart from the art and yuri. It is a shame because the main girl is one of the cutest ones this year.

Bruh. Wink
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

In many cases (possibly most) the anime adaption of a light novel or manga series is intended to be an advertisement of the source material. In those cases the publisher of the source material is the major investor in the project. Because of this they are usually put out early in the series run while the manga or novel is still an ongoing thing. Much of the publishers return on their investment is supposed to be increased sales of the source series.

This is why an anime may create its own ending or simply go to the end of a narrative arc and stop. the idea is that if you still want more story, read the source material. Additional anime is usually scheduled only if the initial release is wildly popular and able to make money on its own. As noted above there are some series that act as an exception to this.

I see. Thanks for sharing this Alan Smile, and here I thought up to now it was anime base on media franchises such as the Pokémon series, for example, that exist to serve as advertisements. That would definable make since why some adaptations end on cliff hangers. With that said it does suck for us who do not live in Japan, nor cannot read Japanese, because unless the source material gets license or a translation group picks up that source material and is diligent enough to translate the whole story we are left hanging.

I remember considering this to be one of my pet peeves a long time ago with how anime is handled as I felt left out. I was thinking it would be nice if studios knew they are not going to adapt an entire series that they at least come up with a different ending from the source material. I like the fact the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime it was done this way. However, when I thought about it, I can imagine no one really knows the future of an adaptation and its success so that might not be fully possible. Plus with the case of adaptations such as with FMA that decide to have their own ending from the source material, I wonder if that was a decision that was decided on during the production time.

I know there are people who seem to not like the idea of having to read the source material to get the full story of an anime (or more like told so it seems). One anime reviewer I use to watch on youtube, and was once active, seemed very adamant about that. If most adaptations are indeed more for advertising the source material I wonder how well this would sit for people who prefer TV over reading.

John Hayabusa wrote:
the main girl is one of the cutest ones this year.

qashairy wrote:
Bruh. Wink

Asuka certainly was cute. Anime smile. However for me it took sometime to warm up to her. It's not that I did not like her from the start, but she did not click with me right away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2