• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SSSS.Gridman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
I can't really blame anyone for being hesitant after FranXX
I can. Because it does not matter what you felt about FranXX, it is all irrelevant as this was made by half a different studio and different writers and directors.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
That's fair; hopefully plenty of other Trigger fans have given this show a chance regardless of previous works, because it certainly stands on its own as a great series.

I also wonder/hope if we could see more collaborations like this in the future. Tsuburaya has numerous other titles, even without Ultraman, that might benefit from exposure via anime adaptation.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
It’s Toei, but someone give Trigger Kamen Rider Spirits.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Gurren Rodan wrote:
I can't really blame anyone for being hesitant after FranXX
I can. Because it does not matter what you felt about FranXX, it is all irrelevant as this was made by half a different studio and different writers and directors.

Well, I mean...
Quote:
Yes, I know that one technically isn't Trigger, but when the word on this ended up being "stylings straight from Evangelion" and "Look at the gams at that one!", well...I decided to come back later.

I don't think it's unfair to be made a bit unsure when they also seemed to at least superficially share a few traits. It's nice that's all those amounted to, of course.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, "we" again confuse the "main character" and "protagonist". Akane is obviously the main character of the story, but she is not the protagonist of the story because her story is told from the point of view of the GRIDMAN team. Not to mention that for most of the story, she looks more like a living mcgaffin than the main character.

I understand that Christopher really likes Akane as a character, but one should not confuse words that are similar in meaning, but different in purpose.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
^What plot points in particular do you have in mind? While some of the hard world-building aspects aren't made entirely clear, I think all of the most important, character-based questions were explicitly or implicitly answered.

The main questions I was left with all focused on the ontology of the world that was supposedly Akane's. Like, what was she feeling guilty about - something carrying over from the real world? Or some actions she took in this imaginary dream world? If it's the latter, I don't see why she feels any guilt (since the characters don't really exist except through her), and even if they somehow did I don't see why she doesn't just reverse whatever effects she caused.

I also get the feeling we're supposed to understand the animated/dream world as somehow persisting without Akane's presence, but since the place only seems to exist as she creates it (as seen by the lack of existence of any place outside the city) I don't see how that works and (more importantly) how that doesn't just make the whole place a prison for everyone left behind. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this part, and this world will be annihilated or enter some sort of suspended animation now that Akane's awake? Or maybe this world is meant to have some sort of existence independent of her, and it's just something that she was able to shape?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
My impression was that the anime's setting-world A) does exist independent of Akane, and that this is true despite that it is also the case that B) Akane created it (hence Akane being endlessly tweaked that her omnipotent super-control in this world still wasn't enough for her to make everyone behave exactly as she intended). A bit like giving birth: you may've made your children, but they nevertheless exist and live independent of you. I similarly took that the creations weren't exactly fictional, though they lived in a different 'plane' from regular humans.

But I agree that the ontological questions were largely left ambiguous; the above is just what I happened to conjecture. The series was more interested in its characters than its world, I think -- which is a good thing, in my opinion, if you're forced to choose, but isn't a good thing ceteris paribus.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I suspect you're right about the creations-like-children analogy, but I wish the show had been a bit clearer about that. I don't usually need to care about how exactly how a setting works, but in this case Akane is depicted as both a creator of the world and someone who's awakening, so I took the thing as existing in her mind, with everyone just a piece of her (save Alexis and Gridman & co.)

The idea of a persistent dream world - or a world that can be shaped by human dreams - didn't even occur to me. I wonder if it's one of the things that's taken for granted by folks who've seen prior incarnations of Gridman?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10