• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I think Lou Zhen Jie/ Di Kong is best understood as being the wuixa equivalent of the denizens of 4chan and other places that breed internet trolls. His nihilism is the adolescent apathy about not seeing the point about anything and always giving out negative criticism for the sake of it taken to it's logical sociopathic extreme. And just like so many of them that become members of Alt-Right when give a cause to believe in, it turns him into a utter monster. And he does have a "My waifu must be kept pure!" obsession just like the Channers do.

Also considering that Lou is something of an avatar for Urobuchi himself, it could be theorized that Gen has cast his old self who thought things like "I have nothing but contempt for the thing men call happiness, and have had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy. For all things in the world, if they are just left alone and paid no attention, are bound to advance in a negative direction." as the ultimate villain here and set him up against Shang, the embodiment of the respect that he has gained since Madoka for idealism and people who always do the right thing in the face of adversity and Lin, the embodiment of his sadistic side now harnessed for more positive purposes than breaking young girls and men who want to be heroes of justice and gets a rough ride for his methods nonetheless. You can say he really is trying to overcome his past here.

Last edited by Zeino on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For my part, I headcanon that Akira Ishida was cast as Lou due to his previous experience playing a disaffected asshole who attempts lover's suicide with an unwilling inhuman construct.

Sure, at the very least it's an amusing observation.

I kind of go back and forth about exactly how affected by her charms he is. Maybe he's affected, he's just yandere.
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I really look forward to seeing your reviews for each episode. I especially enjoy your summaries.
Nice effort on guessing but the guess was a bit off. Pili's main series is in its 72nd season, with a modern remake of their 6th season premiering on January 23rd (The original aired in 1990.) Intimidating, I know.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the all-important detail that Lou gave up his arm for SBD before plunging into the Pit of Unseen Bodies?

There's no way Urobuchi would have bothered chopping Lou's arm off literally seconds before killing him. He'll be back next season on a mission to rescue his lady love, probably sporting some kind of incredibly impractical yet stupidly awesome prosthesis, such as a collection of swords or the claw of that demon bird.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, TF Season 2 while still an immensely fun and well-written blast suffered a bit being a obvious bridge-series to latter seasons in comparison to the first season's standalone narrative. But that sequel hook... Season 3 can't come soon enough.

Neko-sensei wrote:
There's no way Urobuchi would have bothered chopping Lou's arm off literally seconds before killing him. He'll be back next season on a mission to rescue his lady love, probably sporting some kind of incredibly impractical yet stupidly awesome prosthesis, such as a collection of swords or the claw of that demon bird.

If you know who at the end survived her apparent death then I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lou does come back too. Rule 1 of Thunderbolt Fantasy when it comes to death, if you don't see the dead body then they are most likely still alive and kicking.

Last edited by Zeino on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Rule 1 of Thunderbolt Fantasy when it comes to death, if you don't see the dead body then they are mostly likely still alive and kicking.

Well, you can't get those pretty puppets go to waste! Very Happy

I loved this season just as much as the first and wouldn't mind at all if this turned into a 34+ season show. Can't wait for what comes next!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3