• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Onward to 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I will legimately miss E3 if it atrophies into irrelevance. I just love the fuzzy warm idea of the whole gaming community getting together to watch a bunch of crazy hype announcements over the week. Individual events like PSX or Nintendo Directs aren't quite the same.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...Skyrim doesn't look as nice or run as well on Switch as it does on other platforms...
Sorry, but can't let this slide. Just got Skyrim and Switch and it looks and acts about as well as I've seen from any YT videos using high end "gaming" systems. It's also about x100 better than the Steam/PC version and doesn't bomb out like it does to my Ryzen5-1600/StrixROG-B450/Radeon Aero/Samsung 970pro SSHD system. BTW, the credits show there have been low-level programming changes for the Switch port which I assume are optimizations which make it work as well as it does, so I'd say it is an upgrade. Am looking forward to more "high end game" ports because it hasn't delivered sub-par performance that I've seen...
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Kojima has earned any praise he receives, whether its Metal Gear, ZOE, Boktai, he has always been creative and innovative, and very versatile, just look at his span of genres, even PT, a trailer gets more praise as a horror game than actual games in the genre. Honestly, while their is an off chance it can flop, Im expecting death stranding to be a success both financially and critically.

Kojima had very little to do with Z.O.E, if anything at all. All he did was slapped his name as a producer and attached a demo to it to help it sell. It was largely Murata and Okamura's baby.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
thepsychogamer wrote:
and combined with how badly Yakuza bombed when they did try to put on a Nintendo Platform (Failing to sell even 2k in it's opening week)

You mean the unnecessary ports of Yakuza 1&2 for the WiiU?

That were coming "after" 3,Kenzan,4, & 5?

thepsychogamer wrote:

It's easy to see why Sega might believe the series wouldn't find success on a Nintendo portable system.

The Switch isn't a proprietary handheld like the PSP was though.

Greed1914 wrote:
without telling Hayter by the way.

I don't know why he would've had to tell him that. Plus Hayter's back to phoning it in for Smash Ultimate so people still treating that as a disrespectful and wrong can move on now.

Lord Oink wrote:
Metal Gear Solid 5 was such a disappointment, and easily the worst game in the franchise

Besides the MSX titles that haven't aged well and most people have never played.....or the port of the first game for the Nes?

Lord Oink wrote:
that it felt more like a western open-world shooter game than a stealth-based Metal Gear Solid game. I'm kinda thinkin Kojima was only good when he had Konami around to keep him in check

If this were the case the series would be known less for cutscenes that never end with heavy handed dialog and references no one could care less about.

Lord Oink wrote:
From what I've seen it's basically a walking simulator and an excuse to chum it up with American celebrities.

Like Yakuza is a walking/gambling/fishing/batting/ simulator and excuse to chat up and sometimes fight japanese celebrites or romancing idols?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
and moments like Cloud's crossdressing sidequest and Tifa's slap fight with Scarlett would look ridiculous in the remake in my opinion;

More ridiculous and odd than this?

Lord Geo wrote:
the fighting was based on Virtua Fighter, which was a plus.

Sure if you can get past how awkward this makes the combat feel as a consequence.

Lord Geo wrote:

Yes, there are those out there who were disappointed with the original two games, but it seems like those people also feel that everyone else who loved Shenmue are simply blinded by nostalgia & don't realize that it's a bad game,

Because this is an actual thing and yes it does apply to Shenmue, the original at any rate.

Lord Geo wrote:
even though that has been proven to not be the case.

Under what circumstances? people throwing money at the kickstarter for the 3rd game that only happened cause Sega wouldn't fund it themselves?

Lord Geo wrote:
(I at least got to the point where Ryo gets the forklift job at the wharf),

What a coincedence made it to the same part before I stopped for whatever reason.....though I can't remember if I got to drive the forklift.

Lord Geo wrote:

Shenmue really is a game you either "get", or you just don't. You think it's too flawed the be enjoyable, but there are tons of people out there who feel otherwise, and are simply hoping for Shenmue III to be what the first two games were like, even if you feel that's a bad thing.

It's not simply a matter of how feel though, Shemue as I already said was not a fun game to play simply because of how usually designed it is. Simply because people can look pass it's various flaws doesn't change the fact it's a flawed game that the developers of Shenmue 3 should be trying to improve upon not basically copy and paste as is from the first two game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2