• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:
So will you guys be covering Saintia Sho too?

Aww well, I’m hoping you guys do a full series review after it’s done. Confused

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet (stupid end-of-semester grading!), but I've really been enjoying the manga, so it's on my radar. This is with the caveat that I haven't watched the original Saint Seiya for years - as in the French dub when I was in elementary school - so if it gets too lore-heavy, it still may be a stretch.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
Ah, I really loved the first episode of Boogiepop. There’s something about that premise that really speaks to me (I have spent a little time hashing out a novel that I’ll never write based on an idea directly influenced by it) and I have fond memories of the manga and the original series.

My only complaint is that Boogiepop’s own involvement is... tenuous at best... as I recall. Otherwise I do love the shifting viewpoints that slowly reveal the whole narrative. Languid pace, maybe, but the episode blew by for me.

I’m hoping there are a few more series worth watching, but I haven’t felt like the announced shows are half as strong or interesting as the last block. Is that common, like how January is a dumping ground in NA for bad movies? I’m still new to the whole simulcast thing.
Cab329

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I don’t know for sure but I don’t think so. Last year had both Yuru Camp and A place further than the Universe (and How to Raise ad mummy), which had enough staying power to make it to a lot of best of lists.

Now it seems (to me) like titles that have a tighter budget show up a bit more during this time period but at the same time this year we’re getting shield Hero (which definitely has production values, quality aside) mob Psycho 2, and the promised Neverland so we’re also clearly getting some shows with some big investments in them.

But I’ve only really paid attention during one winter simulcast before so I don’t know for sure.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 am Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
I’m hoping there are a few more series worth watching, but I haven’t felt like the announced shows are half as strong or interesting as the last block. Is that common, like how January is a dumping ground in NA for bad movies? I’m still new to the whole simulcast thing.

Winter tends to be a quieter season, with the exception of Winter 2017, where we got KonoSuba 2, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Interviews With Monster Girls, Rakugo season 2, Little Witch Academia, Kemono Friends, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daisylock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
Off to a solid start of the season so far.

LORD EL-MELLOI II'S CASE FILES

Loved everything, it captures the mood, the OST is great, the animation is there and it's all interesting dialouge!

The more interesting things from Fate is always the little characterizations, and them actually doing them with interesting OST and visuals is literally what everyone has been asking for since zero.

I really hope we eventually get the Fate/Zero event adaptation into anime, it's not too long and it's really darn good.

RISING OF A SHIELD HERO

Awesome first episode. I felt bad for the MC, damn that princess! This is a very interesting take for the start of an isekai, the false rape accusation is definitely something that is relevant in todays world.

Kinema Circus looks like they have another winner on their hands and hearing Kevin Penkin's music again was a treat. The music that played in the slave tent made me have goosebumps, so eerie. Can't wait for more.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I want to watch W'z just because Ryohei is in it (singing the OP and in the stage play)

I also want to see how they do that as a stage play...

except like, well.

There have been four K stage plays and none of them had anything that theatrically interesting...

but I wonder if they're connected to the producers of the Tsukipro stage plays, other than that the anime are from the same producers (Movic), and the lead actor is in Tsukipro's stage plays... the Tsukipro stage plays have amazing stagecraft so like...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
The Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. manga is ok and Mob Psycho 100 II will have nice visuals. On to the meager leftovers that show some promise.

Boogiepop wa Warawanai I re-watched the equally short adaptation that a very different Madhouse did in the late 90s about a year ago and went over the prequel manga again. The disjointed story didn´t hold up but the no-budget moody visuals mostly did. The rather bland Madhouse of today somewhat recaptured the moody atmosphere but my knowledge of what came before is the only reason I could follow the 2 opening eps. at all. Ep.2 for example kind of adapts the material the aforementioned manga covered and this is one of the most needlessly disjointed TV anime ever. All the characters are also introduced in media res and why was the setting “updated” to present day? The refusal to go full R and the again very limited budget further hurt. I´ll give this one more ep. out of curiosity. 5/10

Dororo The Tezuka manga and it´s varied adaptation all had their flaws but the ideas behind them are engaging. MAPPA, the heirs to Madhouse, and Kazuhiro Furuhashi could make them work beautifully. He directed Kenshin, the 90s HxH (the better one), Real Drive and Neo Wokio after all.

The Lupin III: Goodbye Partner special looks bland and Golden Kamuy receives a 2nd OVA.
Code Geass is getting a cinematic conclusion at long last. I´ll fast forward through it once the home release comes out to exercise the franchise out of my life for good. The Osomatsu-san movie, on the other hand, seems interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
#891212 wrote:
LORD EL-MELLOI II'S CASE FILES

Loved everything, it captures the mood, the OST is great, the animation is there and it's all interesting dialouge!

The more interesting things from Fate is always the little characterizations, and them actually doing them with interesting OST and visuals is literally what everyone has been asking for since zero.

I really hope we eventually get the Fate/Zero event adaptation into anime, it's not too long and it's really darn good.

While I also liked this episode a lot, keep in mind that it's just a preview. The actual series will air during the Summer 2019 season, so we won't be covering it in this PG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to read the opinions for Shield Hero. I know a couple of people already f-ing hate it on ANN according to their tweet so i'm curious if there's more.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
What I will be watching.

BanG Dream! 2nd Season
Boogiepop wa Warawanai
Circlet Princes
Date a Live III
Egao no Daika
Girly Air Force
Gotoubou no Hanayome
Grimms Notes The Animation
Kakegurui
Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka
Manaria Friends
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita
Tenshi shitara Slime Datta Ken continuation
Sword Art Online Alicization continuation
Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS continuation
Zoids Wild continuation
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The more I read about Shield Hero, the more I want to actively avoid watching it. Not even SAO was that bad, and that had legitimate attempted rape.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Shield Hero ftw! stupid fun times!
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
Great first episode. Our MC goes from zero ( socially awkward) to hero( summoned to another world to save it) and to zero again (after been false accused) in just the first episode.
Looks like it will be a very faithful adaptation of the LN and that's a great thing.

It was one of the my most anticipated anime of this season and the first episode didn't disappointed me.
Lero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
- Saintia Sho
YES for me

- Shield Hero
Pretty good premier
Seems the music director worked for Made yn the Abyss

I find troubling the use of the word "trouble".

- Ell Melon CF
Now with waver as El Melloi
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
The more I read about Shield Hero, the more I want to actively avoid watching it. Not even SAO was that bad, and that had legitimate attempted rape.

Speaking as someone who picked up the Shield Hero novels very cautiously and in part just to see what all the controversy is about, I can peacefully say it ends up not being as bad as it sounds. Yes, both the slavery and the false rape accusation are iffy, but this is one of the few isekai novels that actually have convincing first-person writing (even if it means Naofumi quite clearly comes off as emotionally damaged and an unreliable narrator despite being the POV), and it has a surprisingly large and vivid cast of strong, nuanced female characters who actually manage to pass the Bechdel Test.

It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's a very fun read and I was surprised by how much I grew attached to the main party.

Its one single issue actually plays into the "false rape accusation" part - all of the villains in Shield Hero are really super-exaggerated one-note raving lunatics who tend to do really over-the-top gross nonsense all the time so they can be recognized as villains, and the character responsible for the false accusation is included in that list. It basically doesn't have low-key evil. If someone is evil, they're freaking M.Bison levels of evil, complete with exaggerated quotations and maniacal laughter while explosions go off in the background.

If that sort of villain writing easily puts you off, then Shield Hero is not for you. Otherwise it's not nearly as gross or controversial as people make it out to be, and I honestly found it a few miles more feminist than a lot of the genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 42