• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Previews 1st Rising of the Shield Hero Anime Episode Ahead of January 9 Official Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The slavery is a non-issue that will only be brought by people that only read the description and don't actually watch any of the show. Slavery in a fantasy world is pretty common because slavery was pretty common in the world (and still is in many places) during the time periods most fantasy works adopt. The most prominent example of slavery in this is really no different from the "slavery" in "How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord".

It doesn't surprise me that ANN reviewers will get on this. Those are reviews I just won't read because someone who is bias to something going in to review it before they even watch it is not an opinion to be trusted or valued. If they've made up their minds about the show before the first episode even aired then they are not not good reviewers and should not be reviewing the show at all because their opinion is tainted.
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:29 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
The slavery is a non-issue that will only be brought by people that only read the description and don't actually watch any of the show. Slavery in a fantasy world is pretty common because slavery was pretty common in the world (and still is in many places) during the time periods most fantasy works adopt. The most prominent example of slavery in this is really no different from the "slavery" in "How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord".

It doesn't surprise me that ANN reviewers will get on this. Those are reviews I just won't read because someone who is bias to something going in to review it before they even watch it is not an opinion to be trusted or valued. If they've made up their minds about the show before the first episode even aired then they are not not good reviewers and should not be reviewing the show at all because their opinion is tainted.

Please. Slavery being used as a plot device to endear female characters to the MC is a trope that is almost exclusive to light novels/manga. The idea that they're using slavery because it's somehow relevant to the time period they're set in is ridiculous. They're almost all set in bland stock Japanese fantasy many of which don't have slavery or need it. Virtually every time you see it used it's just bad writing.

That being said Shield hero is one of the less egregious examples of it. At least he's not straight up buying girls to sleep with them.
Terelyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
That being said Shield hero is one of the less egregious examples of it. At least he's not straight up buying girls to sleep with them.

So, just don't put slavery in your story? Putting slavery in a fantasy fiction story is bad in itself?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2