• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Wins Golden Globe Animated Film Award Over Mirai

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah. This is a good thing.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Power of mainstream Confused
juusee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised, Into the Spider-Verse is a geat movie.

I haven't watched Mirai, so I don't know how good it is. If the Golden Globe is anything like the Oscars, then Mirai probably had next to no chance of winning.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Considering everyone half expected it to lose to a Disney film, no, quite the opposite. Spider-Verse deserved the Golden Globe on technical merit alone, on top of being a good story.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
as if the others had a chance.
Mesikh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Uh no.

If it actually would have been mainstream power, then Incredibles 2 would have won.
Besides, Spiderman was an amazing movie. Being one of the highest rated animated movies of the year, it definitely deserved the award, imo.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I love Mirai and would have loved to see it win on principle but... I mean...

Spider-Verse is the better movie. So no complaints from me. Here's hoping it can win the Oscar seeing as the Academy probably won't even watch (Let alone consider) Liz and the Blue Bird... or Mirai... or Maquia... or The Night is Short... or Lu Over the Wall.

Seriously, anime movies have been so good lately! That's what makes the Academy's bad taste in movies even more frustrating.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Night is Short and Lu Over the Wall were actually 2017 movies, we just didn't really get them here until this year. If they were 2018 movies I would demand Night is Short win every award, but eh, no complaints here, Spiderverse looks more interesting than the Miyazaki-likes.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I saw both Spider-Verse and Mirai in theaters, I enjoyed both but loved Spider-Verse more. Plus from a stand point of reviewing the films I think Spider-Verse was better, so I'm happy that it won the award.

Hopefully Spider-Verse can win the Oscar as well, I loved the first Incredibles movie but the second was unfortunately lukewarm at best.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't seen any of the movies on the list (although Mirai and Spider Verse are the top 2 I want to see once they come out on Blu-Ray), although honestly I'm just kinda glad to see a non-Disney movie get the win. We know that, once the Oscar nominations are out, Disney will be the ones to more than likely win that one, so it's nice to see non-Disney movies win other major awards. Although, of course, anime always gets left out in the dust, but that's expected at this point.

It would be very interesting to see if Spider Verse can win the Oscars, though.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Not really.

More like the power of old white guys voting who dislike things from japan as a whole.

I'm not saying Spider-Verse shouldn't have been nominated however what i am saying is the process for voting is inherintely flawed and has been for a long time.
ICO44

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The problem is even Spider-Verse didn't exist, Mirai still wouldn't win because most of the time these awards is less about which one is "better" and more about which one the judges watched.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
No doubt there is bias against foreign media in awards shows. I remember an interview with an Oscars voter who, when asked about his opinion on The Tale of Princess Kaguya, remarked that he hadn't seen "that Chinese shit" and was voting for Big Hero 6 because his kids liked it.

So yeah.

But I mean, Into the Spiderverse so deserved this! Fantastic movie, it honestly can't win enough awards and I hope it gets a sequel.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
Way to go kicking Disney's butt, Sony!

Spider-Verse is an awesome movie. The animation is spectacular, the plot's pretty good, but my favorite thing about it was that it was laugh-out-loud hilarious, unlike most live-action superhero movies in the theaters these days. Given I'm an old-school Spider-Man fan (well, at least for the '90's animated show and various Spidey comics of the late '90s-mid-aughts, including Ultimate Spider-Man), but it has a pretty high score on Rotten Tomatoes and did well at the box office, so I think it had mainstream appeal.

If this ushers in an age of action-oriented animated movies for young adults, I am so there, too, but that might be wishful thinking.

In any case, this was a win!

My brother's reaction is worth sharing:
"In some alternate universe there is a JJ Jameson FURIOUS about the media's celebration of dangerous vigilantism" Very Happy
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21 am Reply with quote
I mean, I can see someone watching Mirai and Spider-Verse back to back and saying Spider-Verse is better. What I can't see is someone watching A Silent Voice and The Boss Baby back to back and nominating The Boss Baby.

So I don't think Golden Globes has that same level of bias as the Oscars.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5