• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Death Note Used Real Train Accident Footage Without Permission

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the fault for this lies more with the director or producer of the film than the distributor.

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zendervai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The situation here is a tad wonky. Netflix themselves didn't make the movie, it looks like they mostly just licensed it and helped fund it. While it's probably a good idea to check for this sort of thing, the blame lands on the actual production company which appears to be Vertigo Entertainment. It's easy to forget that Netflix is actually really hands-off most of the time, and that most of their shows, they don't actually own all the rights, just the streaming/broadcast and (maybe) some merchandising rights. It's why the occasional show they produce gets a home video release, because the actual *production company* decided to do it and Netflix didn't get a say.

That being said, whoever actually decided to put that footage in the movie, shame on them, that is a disgusting thing to do. Using real disaster footage, where real people died, in a movie like this is just wrong and should never have happened.

I can understand why this slipped through the cracks at the end of the process (I doubt Netflix has had to deal with this situation before) but it shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is extremely scummy. I can only imagine how much that must suck to be a survivor and see that casually onscreen.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 pm Reply with quote
But if Netflix knew about this and didn't pull it, that makes them as much in the wrong. Wink
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
There’s a trainwreck IN the movie? That’s meta.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
This kind of thing can happen when looking for stock footage that's not probably vetted.

Most of the time these are purchased/licensed from third parties. So it could be somebody else entirely at blame.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is extremely disrespectful and disgusting to even think about using footage from a real life accident. Forget about whether it was legal or whether they had permission, this is just wrong on so many levels.

And it's not netlflix's fault, but they still have some responsibility in letting it out. They should remove the footage from this atrocity and compensate the families of the victims from accident.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
As stated above, it's easy to blame netflix for stuff like this and try and make them out to be ~evil~ and scummy, but in reality, this is just the result of one lazy person in production who didn't double check the stock footage before passing it on, and if no one else involved is familliar with the event, it won't be noticed by anyone.

Of course, the right thing to do would be to be to swap it out with a cut of the movie that doesn't have this footage in it.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
This would have been avoided if they actually cared to adapt the original source material correctly. There was no traffic accident in the manga, so why adding them?
2weird4u

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I live in Belgium and the opinions here are very divided. Some say it's okay as long as they bought the footage lawfully. Some say it's a disgrace that this made it into the movie seeing as there were actual victims.

The owner of the footage, the journalist that sold it via a legal platform, also specifically said it's footage from a day later. When all victims, wounded and dead, have been tended to and there were only those in the footage that cleaned the accident site. Which was also a concern here, that actual victims were in the footage, which is not the case.

Also, when you think about the claim from the Belgian railway, that they're going to sue, is just not feasible since they don't own the rights to the footage, the journalist does.

I apologize if I didn't make myself completely clear, English is not my native language.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood studios usually have clearance departments and legal staff who are tasked with making sure things like this don't happen. Are Japanese studios more lax?
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
As stated above, it's easy to blame netflix for stuff like this and try and make them out to be ~evil~ and scummy, but in reality, this is just the result of one lazy person in production who didn't double check the stock footage before passing it on, and if no one else involved is familliar with the event, it won't be noticed by anyone.

Just to point out.... I'm not a cinematographer, but "train crash", even "aftermath of a train crash", is actually staggeringly expensive to film. Trains are big and they don't look like a lot else so you have to build them, and train crashes normally occur in nice open areas with long sight-lines, and there's all the extras and pyrotechnics. And the same for CG, only trains are dirty _and_ shiny [don't look good in cg] and you have to integrate closely with real terrain shots, and...

For a five-second establishment shot that'd probably cost as much as an episode of live-action girls und panzer? Yeah, I'd buy the stock footage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1