• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Hi Score Girl is a Heartfelt Nostalgia Trip for Arcade Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:36 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I really enjoyed Hi Score Girl, I cannot wait for a new season, maybe I should read the manga.
One thing I didn't understand was the fact that they used the amercian names for the consoles like Turbografx 16 and Super Nintendo instead of PC-Engine and Super Famicom even though the story takes place in Japan, also M. Bison instead of Vega.

That's a big mistake the Netflix translation did. The fansub did it better and just used tl notes, like other licensees do now (CR/Funi/Sentai). First if you're watching the subs, it's a cognitive dissonance since what you hear in reference to the name of a thing is completely different from what you read, second, there's an even bigger mistake where the references on-screen don't match the subs.

Quote:
I also didn't expect a reference to Mortal Kombat because I thought American arcade games weren't popular in Japan..

This scene in particular cracked me up where Haruo and Hidaka were trying to figure out what the characters were saying and imitating the voices

It's also too bad the Netflix version doesn't include the mid-show in-universe sponsored game commercials with the characters
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
So if Ono doesn't speak a word in the entire series, what's the point of her having a credited voice actress? Does she occasionally grunt or come close to speaking before interruption, maybe have an internal monologue once or twice? If none of those, it seems kind of like a waste of money, if you ask me.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
Well, some prodigious crying at least.

I’d argue she’s only slightly less vocal than the situation in Zombieland Saga.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Been noticing criticisms of Akira Ono being a mute and how it is detrimental to the series. I humbly disagree as Ono's muteness adds a sense of mystique to the character that would otherwise be lost if she were to actually talk and I think that was what Rensuke Oshikiri was also going for when he made her for the series.

While I agree with what you're saying, one of the hosts of the We Still Don't Know the Name of that Anime We Saw on that Day podcast did a really good job explaining how she was less turned off by the fact that Ono was mute than by the fact that so much of what we know about this girl gamer's personality, desires, and motivations are articulated by a boy gamer who just never seems to shut up. It's hard to emotionally connect with the core romance of the show when the guy reminds you of dudes who pissed you off back in high school, after all.

Exactly.

We have to hear the boy just whine around her and do a crap-ton of exposition.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm also not understanding what else about the series that you found frustrating.

The emotional high point in the series was in episode 3 at the end of the... leads, let's call them the leads... elementary school days when Ono left for America. But here's the problem; It was the emotional high for the series but not the characters. It's an emotional trinket giving to Ono but without her saying anything we the audience can't be certain what the plastic ring really means for her, if it's a symbol of a promise Haruo made or if it represents her often denied freedom or if she sees it as a absolute symbol of love... and considering her actions through the rest of the series up to their high school years, I'm not sure I can say it's any of those. To Haruo, it's a cheap plastic ring he gave her instead of a gift.

Great ending to a great episode, ultimately made meaningless through character.... I can't even say "quirks" because the cast treats her like a normal person. Maybe if she really was a deaf-mute this would be easier to explain but that series was already adapted and it certainly didn't need video games to be interesting.

Would it be character design? Or is it that we only see Ono through Haruo... no, that doesn't work either. Hidaka treats her the same.

Hidaka and Haruo, let's call them the leads now as they have the pull the actual narrative weight of the story and by being in that position, they manage to push Ono into the category of "plot device" as the series.... progresses? Circles itself mostly. The finale episode takes one actual step that should have happened earlier and it would have if not for the return of the "mysterious" Ono and her "uncertain" feelings.

Tsundere who only manages to express her feelings by physical assault: bad.
Tsundere who can ONLY express here feelings through physical assault: cute. Really?
I liked the series a lot more when Ono and Haruo were clearly just friends... and she didn't hit him as much. That is so odd since I don't have a problem with Love Hina's Naru Narusagawa.... oh right, she talks and her physicality was an alternate method of communication. When it's the only method of communication... Ono hits him when she likes him and when she's angry with him and it's up to him to reason out why....

Haruo and Hidaka, please go with Haruo and Hidaka...
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
So if Ono doesn't speak a word in the entire series, what's the point of her having a credited voice actress? Does she occasionally grunt or come close to speaking before interruption, maybe have an internal monologue once or twice? If none of those, it seems kind of like a waste of money, if you ask me.

She makes noises. Grunts, growls, sighs, cries, hums, happy noises, angry noises, and so on. She never communicates with actual speech (on-camera, anyway; a few scenes make it clear that she can talk and sometimes does it off-camera), but if you're paying attention it's usually not too hard to guess what she's thinking or feeling, unless you're an oblivious idiot like Haruo.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:

Exactly.

We have to hear the boy just whine around her and do a crap-ton of exposition.

Which is something the audience just settles into after a couple of episodes anyway. The main focus tends to be on the games and the affections of those playing them which the audience can relate to on a personal level. Ono's silence represents an added mystery element to the relationship that gets further revealed by the episode. It may come off as some as a plot device but I personally think it was done pretty well. Besides, Haruo becomes less whiny as the series progresses to reflect upon his maturity. His expositions in gaming also represent his knowledge as an avid gamer to which the target audience can relate to. You may have your opinion, Mesousa, but I still think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.
Animegomaniac wrote:
The emotional high point in the series was in episode 3 at the end of the... leads, let's call them the leads... elementary school days when Ono left for America. But here's the problem; It was the emotional high for the series but not the characters. It's an emotional trinket giving to Ono but without her saying anything we the audience can't be certain what the plastic ring really means for her, if it's a symbol of a promise Haruo made or if it represents her often denied freedom or if she sees it as a absolute symbol of love... and considering her actions through the rest of the series up to their high school years, I'm not sure I can say it's any of those. To Haruo, it's a cheap plastic ring he gave her instead of a gift.

I thought it was very obvious what that plastic ring meant. It symbolized Haruo's genuine appreciation of being with Ono and having the opportunity to play games with her as well as against her. Ono absolutely appreciated the time she spent with Haruo and considered him a true close friend. The ring symbolized their friendship and possibly their puppy love.
Quote:
Great ending to a great episode, ultimately made meaningless through character.... I can't even say "quirks" because the cast treats her like a normal person. Maybe if she really was a deaf-mute this would be easier to explain but that series was already adapted and it certainly didn't need video games to be interesting.

Would it be character design? Or is it that we only see Ono through Haruo... no, that doesn't work either. Hidaka treats her the same.

Hidaka and Haruo, let's call them the leads now as they have the pull the actual narrative weight of the story and by being in that position, they manage to push Ono into the category of "plot device" as the series.... progresses? Circles itself mostly. The finale episode takes one actual step that should have happened earlier and it would have if not for the return of the "mysterious" Ono and her "uncertain" feelings.

Tsundere who only manages to express her feelings by physical assault: bad.
Tsundere who can ONLY express here feelings through physical assault: cute. Really?
I liked the series a lot more when Ono and Haruo were clearly just friends... and she didn't hit him as much. That is so odd since I don't have a problem with Love Hina's Naru Narusagawa.... oh right, she talks and her physicality was an alternate method of communication. When it's the only method of communication... Ono hits him when she likes him and when she's angry with him and it's up to him to reason out why....

Haruo and Hidaka, please go with Haruo and Hidaka...

So...Ono isn't a good match to Haruo because she hits him? She only does it when he's being really selfish and stupid. Also, Haruo and Hidaka don't automatically equate to a couple just because they talk to one another. Hidaka doesn't have the aura that Ono does. Just because she doesn't talk is irrelevant. I'm guessing you just want to see Haruo and Hidaka together in a relationship because Ono doesn't talk. I'm afraid you're going to be very disappointed with the series from here on if that's your perogative.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
I really enjoyed Hi Score Girl, I cannot wait for a new season, maybe I should read the manga.
One thing I didn't understand was the fact that they used the amercian names for the consoles like Turbografx 16 and Super Nintendo instead of PC-Engine and Super Famicom even though the story takes place in Japan, also M. Bison instead of Vega.

That's a big mistake the Netflix translation did. The fansub did it better and just used tl notes, like other licensees do now (CR/Funi/Sentai). First if you're watching the subs, it's a cognitive dissonance since what you hear in reference to the name of a thing is completely different from what you read, second, there's an even bigger mistake where the references on-screen don't match the subs.
It's also too bad the Netflix version doesn't include the mid-show in-universe sponsored game commercials with the characters

It's less of a mistake and more as mandated by the license holders of those games and consoles. And, as as already mentioned before, not everyone outside that specific niche knows about those tidbits you mentioned about.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
It's less of a mistake and more as mandated by the license holders of those games and consoles. And, as as already mentioned before, not everyone outside that specific niche knows about those tidbits you mentioned about.

I doubt it. If they were that adamant, they'd have re-animated the scenes to replace the Famicom with NES and PC-Engine with Turbographic-16, because there is literally a different looking console on-screen with the words "PC-Engine" written on it when Haruo refers to a PC-Engine in Japanese language but the translation state Turbographics-16. If the license holders of the games themselves had issue, they wouldn't allow those blatant references and a literally different console to be let through

And I can say with absolutely certainty Capcom would allow it. They currently acknowledge the differences right now, the fact that both sides are fully aware and that the name change was only due to history about avoid the Mike Tyson name similarity. So much so that the current official neutral name by Capcom is "boxer" or "Dictator" for Vega/M. Bison. Of course no one really uses those.

In fact, they HAVE to acknowledge both American and Japanese names given that all current official Capcom SFV tournaments played on the other side of the Pacific are broadcast as-is without change using the original names. Even the Japanese trailers and gameplay footage from official sources with original names is streamed on their channel. So I'm sure if the translator suggested the original names to begin with and actually checked with Capcom (not a low level staffer handling questions for Netflix) they would allow it.

In fact I bet they didn't know about the blatant disconnect or inconsistency. I say this with some confidence because there are all sorts of problem you think was done with intent but was done with complete negligence or ignorance of consistency. An example was during the early Crunchyroll days, the Japanese licensors at the executive level were not aware AT ALL about the horrendous quality of masters Japan was giving CR until one day one of the guys -- I believe it may have been samuelp or one of the MX Media guys? had to literally show the Japanese representative in person the issue with the masters and they were horrified to see it was true, which lead to CR getting proper true digital masters in the right format. So again, while these issues may have been allowed through from low level staffers who have been delegated the task 3 or 4 levels down, the higher ups are probably not even aware of the on-screen consistency issue
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I agree it sucks, especially bad in cases like this which is supposed to be steeped in the retro Japanese arcade culture, yet the subs are using Americanized terminology and changes, but stuff that like is pretty common with official subs. They have to use the Americanized names as dictated by the companies. Naruto, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure and many others have to use their Americanized names, terms, and attacks. Obviously it bothers enough people which is why there's fansubs versions or just sub rewrites of the official subs that puts the actual names back in, so it's easy enough the watch the show properly.

I seriously doubt Capcom cares though. They've had numerous chances to fix stuff like the Balrog/Vega/M. Bison switcheroo, but choose not to. They clearly want to keep it as is, and the American names in people's minds so they can buy their games, just like Konami mandates Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS uses the censored Americanized card names so people have an easier time buying the cards. It's just business to these game companies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2