• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NGT48 Idol Maho Yamaguchi Apologizes for Speaking Out After Alleged Assault

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea why she felt the need to apologize. She clearly wasn't in the wrong for this! What the heck???
zenbud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
" Nevertheless, many fans have responded angrily on the assumption that the agency required Yamaguchi to apologize. A fan petition calling for Imamura's resignation and an apology from the staff has garnered more than 3,000 signatures. "

Great. Glad to see that many people on the japanese fanbase are against it when many idol groups stopped the stupid rule of no dating and others are getting better to other problems. This is for sure for the better when a huge group like AKB48 have this as it'll be a example for other groups out there.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It stupefies me that a victim is apologizing for speaking up about abuse. Since when has doing the right thing become doing the wrong thing? Confused
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It stupefies me that a victim is apologizing for speaking up about abuse. Since when has doing the right thing become doing the wrong thing? Confused

Open a history book.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I have no idea why she felt the need to apologize. She clearly wasn't in the wrong for this! What the heck???

Most likely she was ordered to or was threatened into apologizing, so that the company can save face. Like how our public schools try to hide or downplay bullying, and colleges rape.

Find it hard to believe that the police just released the stalkers. They accosted one idol to get the address of another. Grabbing the woman's face and manhandling her so she will be forced to talk to you is assault. Their response that it wasn't no big deal, shows you what they think of women. They need some serious jail time. You can get a lot of thinking done in a Japanese jail without all the distractions an American jail would have.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
They should be finding that other idol (aka the root of the incident) who gave the men Maho's address in the first place instead of asking Maho to apologize. This could've been prevented if she just walked away, alerted a cop, do something what an actual decent human being should've done.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

You don't know that. For example, if management had reached a deal with these two individuals and settled out of court, publicly announcing the incident at all could be breaking part of the settlement. It's also possible the incident might not have happened this way officially and she may have put the company in line for a possible defamation lawsuit. There's all sorts of reasons why it's not wise to publicly talk about a situation like this.
IanKen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I figure management didn't want to offend the creepers that thought that they too could someday stalk or molest an idol.

Glad to see fans delivering some backlash against this.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

You don't know that. For example, if management had reached a deal with these two individuals and settled out of court, publicly announcing the incident at all could be breaking part of the settlement. It's also possible the incident might not have happened this way officially and she may have put the company in line for a possible defamation lawsuit. There's all sorts of reasons why it's not wise to publicly talk about a situation like this.

It still doesn't matter regardless in all of this. She's human. Even if she did make a mistake or not in speaking still has no right for her to say sorry and what she said. It's downright cruel to her and that she will think that she can never go to any one of her troubles or greatly hurt herself....
IanKen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:26 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

perhaps but:

Quote:
The apology comes after Wednesday's revelation that police arrested two men for allegedly assaulting Yamaguchi in December.

Unless the accusation was bogus, what possible settlement would require her to apologize?

This reeks of management wanting to keep that bullshit "pure and vulnerable" idol image going. Oh no, the little lady spoke up! The creeper doormat fantasy is RUINED! Quick, apologize before we lose the creeper demographic!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Man the idol business is fucked up. Sad
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
So two guys grabbed her outside of her apartment, the police arrested them but no charges were filed, and a month later her talent agency made her apologize for it. That is messed up and it sent the wrong message that the talent agency will do nothing to protect their idols which is supposed to be one of the main purposes of having a talent agency. What is noticeable is that the talent agency didn't even ban the two guys from the idol events until after the internet backlash happened.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
IanKen wrote:
This reeks of management wanting to keep that bullshit "pure and vulnerable" idol image going. Oh no, the little lady spoke up! The creeper doormat fantasy is RUINED! Quick, apologize before we lose the creeper demographic!

It certainly does. Are all Japanese talent agencies this useless and good for nothing?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing that there's so little crime in Japan. What a safe, open society it is!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Disturbing but sadly not surprising, especially since she criticized her producer's handling of things apparently. The idol industry is really toxic and the way it treats the idols is gross. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3