• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Demo Mode

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
It's good to see Steam getting more competition. 30% is a massive price to pay just to sell there, and any discounts on that are based on number of copies sold, so the big publishers that would be better able to afford to pay get the discount, which I suspect is the case because those publishers would be in a better bargaining position anyway.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's good to see Steam getting more competition. 30% is a massive price to pay just to sell there, and any discounts on that are based on number of copies sold, so the big publishers that would be better able to afford to pay get the discount, which I suspect is the case because those publishers would be in a better bargaining position anyway.

On the flip side from a customer point of view it'll mean juggling ever increasing number of store front and having your library split across more one more service (and epic is not going to be the only one trying to fight off steam, there will be more with discord also trying).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, if you're a big RPG nut, you might be preoccupied with the other big Friday RPG re-release: Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition. This remastered version of one of the Tales series’ best entries includes all the content from the never-released-in-the-West PS3 edition, which makes the “definitive” part of the title more than just a marketing buzzword.

Many of us are excited for it, though the backlash over the mixed voices dub is becoming noticeable. Of course, the whole Troy Baker vs. Grant George argument is at the forefront regarding Yuri Lowell. People who have heard the comparisons either say Grant's voice works for the new lines while others say "the difference is like Coke and Pepsi". Other characters, like Judith, have also been recast for the new content.

Personally, I'm not going to let a somewhat unevenly handled dub ruin my enjoyment of the version of Vesperia we should have had a decade ago (I still love the dub), but it is disappointing that Namco couldn't round up all the voice actors and record the extra dialog and new arte shouts. I've seen some fans comment that the United States Namco branch doesn't seem to care about publishing Tales titles here with some measure of quality anymore and instead just cuts corners to save on localization costs.

Berseria was a mess in quite a few of the skits, to name an example that people cite as a memorable case of cutting said corners: https://legendsoflocalization.com/this-be-bad-translation-08-tales-of-berseria/

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
It's worth noting that 13 Sentinels Prologue also comes with lower price (just under 4000 yen) re-issues of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and Dragon's Crown Pro, so those are probably the best "bang for your buck" ways to play the demo if you don't mind importing.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I have fond memories of Outrun 2006 (remember goofing off playing it during a social event one day) but IIRC that one actually uses the Ferrari branding while on the original it’s just implied. So a rerelease would need to strip the branding or re-up with Ferrari.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
On the flip side from a customer point of view it'll mean juggling ever increasing number of store front and having your library split across more one more service (and epic is not going to be the only one trying to fight off steam, there will be more with discord also trying).

It is quite a thing of the digital age that consumers love monopolies because now they're more convenient. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, since "Just get it on Amazon" started becoming my default thought pattern (blinding me to some great deals - I didn't know Barnes & Noble has some competitive prices on Blu-rays)

But, when it comes to digital games on PC, it is a solvable issue: I already have friends who launch everything from Discord, since they're using it for communications all the time. Hook everything into one launcher like that, problem solved. That's also Discord's particular trojan horse for making their own sales, of course.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

It is quite a thing of the digital age that consumers love monopolies because now they're more convenient. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, since "Just get it on Amazon" started becoming my default thought pattern (blinding me to some great deals - I didn't know Barnes & Noble has some competitive prices on Blu-rays)

But, when it comes to digital games on PC, it is a solvable issue: I already have friends who launch everything from Discord, since they're using it for communications all the time. Hook everything into one launcher like that, problem solved. That's also Discord's particular trojan horse for making their own sales, of course.

It is true that you can launch non-store games through essentially any of the big storefront launchers, but for those of us who care at least a little bit about tracking down achievements and badges and whatnot, splitting up games between multiple services becomes much more of an issue. I know Monopolies Are Bad, and there are many Valve practices I'm not in favor of, but at the end of the day I'll usually go with Steam as my first choice, because my account is the better part of a decade old and has a hefty digital legacy. I've been a GOG fan for years and also have a large catalog there, a lot of which are duplicates from Steam thanks to GOG Connect and straight-up rebuying, but when you start talking about needing to sprawl across 4 or 5 separate digital storefronts, that's getting a bit ridiculous. The only reason I have Origin is because of the freebie titles from On the House (which doesn't exist anymore), and the same is now true for Epic; I only got a UPlay account because of Ubisoft's nonsense of requiring one even for titles purchased on Steam. I certainly don't plan on patronizing them in general, outside of one or two odd exclusives.

And it's one thing for publishers to have exclusives on their own store (as annoying as that may be in Origin's case), but Ubisoft putting one of their own titles as an Epic exclusive just reeks of corporate greed. The last thing the PC market needs is to turn into the buy-3-devices-to-get-everything-you-want walled-off console ecosystem.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
. I've seen some fans comment that the United States Namco branch doesn't seem to care about publishing Tales titles here with some measure of quality anymore and instead just cuts corners to save on localization costs.

As someone whose not had much investment in the Tales games I find it more curious these fans take issue with the quality of the localization and less with the quality of the game's themselves. The Xillia duology was okay but boy did it make me wonder how do you design an open world style RPG in 2011 and not make a fast travel system?....and then basically do the same thing for it's sequel which features some of the same locations from the first game.

Quote:
If Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is worth a Switch port, so is Outrun 2006, dangit!

It's the Switch everything is worth a Switch port.....even if the Switch can barely run it.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The Xillia duology was okay but boy did it make me wonder how do you design an open world style RPG in 2011 and not make a fast travel system?....and then basically do the same thing for it's sequel which features some of the same locations from the first game.

Click R3 to bring up the map and select a location to travel to from there. In both games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

Click R3 to bring up the map and select a location to travel to from there. In both games.

Wish I knew about this when I was still playing the first game while trying to earn the trophies and whatnot.....which I've long since deleted along with the second.
djl33

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 am Reply with quote
Is the title of this article supposed to be a Travis Scott reference??? Laughing
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
-Epic: Yeah, it's high time Steam finally got some competition. Their pathetic curation and moderation has led to a lot of problems they still refuse to deal with.

-13 Sentinels: This is definitely unusual. Furthermore, you can't transfer the save data over and the game clearly a visual novel, so I'm confused as to what the point is.

-RE2 Demo: Okay, seriously, what is up with the weird demos?

-Dragon's Dogma: Hey, I ain't complaining. Dragon's Dogma is an underappreciated gem from last gen and of course being able to play it on the go is a plus. I really hope Itsuno gets a crack at a sequel after DMCV.
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize that Vesperia was coming out so soon. It's my favorite Tales game by far, so I'll definitely pick it up at some point. Shame that they didn't get some of the old voice actors to return though.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

-13 Sentinels: This is definitely unusual. Furthermore, you can't transfer the save data over and the game clearly a visual novel, so I'm confused as to what the point is.

The game is not a visual novel
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1