• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts III Game's Pre-order Bonuses Previewed in Videos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
by pre-ordering from 7-Eleven stores in Japan

Whoa, wait, you can buy video games at 7-Eleven in Japan? Like actual real video games? Damn, America, why are we so lame? We might've started convenience stores, but Japan took the word "convenience" far more literally, evidently! Do better, America!
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Quote:

Whoa, wait, you can buy video games at 7-Eleven in Japan? Like actual real video games? Damn, America, why are we so lame? We might've started convenience stores, but Japan took the word "convenience" far more literally, evidently! Do better, America!

I'm pretty sure the selection of games you can get at 7-Eleven in Japan is going to be pretty limited. I spent about 4 months in Japan a few years back, and I don't remember seeing much in the way of games on the shelves.

It could be that people can order games from the store, but that games aren't part of the store's normal stock (hence no games on the shelves). As I recall, a lot of Japanese shopping websites can ship packages to convenience stores, basically having the store act as a parcel locker, so the deal with buying games from convenience stores could be similar.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect them to have a massive selection either, but odds are you could buy Super Smash Bros there too.

I also understand that they have good food at their convenience stores, which also makes me jealous. I remember when watching Welcome to the NHK and wondering "how could one survive on the snack foods from convenience stores?" but I since learned that they have real food too, so now it makes more sense.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Quote:

Supermarkets as we know them took longer to take hold in Japan, so there was very little evolution between the local market and the corner convenience chain.
As a result, convenience stores took over downtown Japanese culture, and 7-Eleven became a bigger chain for merchandise and takeout food than here. (And yes, if we could only get half the game tie-ins that 7-Eleven and Family Mart get over there. Sad )

Over here, convenience chains are now just starting to offer better quality in their takeout food and slushies, but they're still a long way from being the urban umbilical cord that they are for most downtown Tokyo-ites.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
7/11 group has it's own version of "Amazon" called Omni 7 and in particular 7net.

All 7/11's have a tablet where you can pre-order stuff from Omni 7 in store and get it shipped to the store for pickup.

Heres the details page -> https://7net.omni7.jp/detail/2110607000-2110607000?siteCateCode=-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1