• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
You seem to be confused. You’re not taking into account how creators frame subjects that could be seen as “problematic” or controversial. Your equating the premises of these two shows without looking at how it’s portrayed. Nobody is saying you can’t have polarizing topics but’s it’s how the writers and directors choose to portray said topics. What are they saying?

I was asked by the mods to drop it and so i am.

If you wish to understand what i'm saying then i'd suggest you read all the reviews for both shows to understand why i'm saying what i'm saying about how selective people are about outrage.
I read all the reviews and I understand what you are saying. I disagree that the “outrage” is “selective” because the reviewers are actually taking into account how controversial topics are portrayed or framed by the creative staff. The topics aren’t inherently bad to have in a show, it really depends on how it is portrayed. That’s why the “outrage” isn’t “selective.” People aren’t getting upset about one topic while ignoring the other; they are upset about how the subject is depicted and what it says to the audience thematically. You either choose not to acknowledge this important distinction or you don’t understand.

[EDIT: Removed excessive nesting. - Key]
DZanjo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
The depiction was fairly accurate, tearable people come in both varieties. I'm happy for you that you haven't had to deal with spiteful, vindictive or
misanthropic people ... Ignorance is bliss. (Not in a negative light)
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
DZanjo wrote:
The depiction was fairly accurate, tearable people come in both varieties. I'm happy for you that you haven't had to deal with spiteful, vindictive or
Who are you talking to?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
DZanjo wrote:
I'm stating *My* opinion on a matter (also my first interaction with no further research done one the people behind it, like some of the writers) at hand. The way it's casually accepted for "Pros" or at least so called ones to act in this manner really resembles the current mindset of just blind following of the authorities that be. (Also *My* opinion)

No, when you are directly denigrating people then you are no longer just stating your opinion. You did that, and that's why your post got edited.

Quote:
Are some of my comments extremely harsh... Hell yeah! ... Is it somewhat childish to fight fire with fire? ... Yes yes it is. ... Do I care? ... No I don't, just like the fales accusations that accoured about this story (which unlike mine that aren't false) in the real world actions do and should have equal and opposite reactions.

Look, I understand you're angry over the issue because of personal experiences, but that changes nothing. We DO care about how people behave even if you don't.

Also, I'm curious to know more exactly what you mean by the following part, since it is, in part, directed at me:
Quote:
The others : Meh General small mindedness with 1 or 2 ok points.
2.3/5 Verdict - Meh Open you're minds and think more
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like I'll be watching Boogiepop after all. Even after all these years, I was surprised at how much seemed familiar and how many names I recognized, which should make it much easier to follow than it was the first time around. Also, the characters don't all look and dress alike, so that helps tell them apart. Bp Phantom had a real problem with same-face/hair/clothes.

Also checked out Kemono Friends 2. It made me sad. I guess they had to change the character designs (the eyes are just so wrong), which was half of the appeal of the original. It just feels like the people making it have no idea why the first season was so popular, and are just going with what they think are the tried and true elements. There's no heart. Like they're going through the steps with no understanding of why the dance is choreographed that way. I'll probably watch another episode at least, but I have a feeling it will be too depressing. Ah well, I still have Kemurikusa, which is pretty much Kemono Friends with different costuming and set decoration. Smile

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
DZanjo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
@Key ya I fully agree with what ever action you take, I'm not in the right so I deserve what ever I get "tight fire with fire" actions should have consequences, and tbh thanks for going easy on me.

@The person who Quoted me ... It was obviously at you. Razz
alconnow_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, it looks like I'll be watching Boogiepop after all. Even after all these years, I was surprised at how much seemed familiar and how many names I recognized, which should make it much easier to follow than it was the first time around. Also, the characters don't all look and dress alike, so that helps tell them apart. Bp Phantom had a real problem with same-face/hair/clothes.

Boogiepop and Others makes a lot more sense than Phantom as the latter was set after the events of the first light novel. I think it was set a month after? This Friday will be the start of the Imaginator arc which is very good imo.
Unfortunately, the new Boogiepop series also has a problem with some of the characters looking the same. For example, Takeda Keiji and Saotome Masami look almost identical.

Other than that, you should totally watch it!

Last edited by alconnow_ on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
DZanjo wrote:
You’re making a lot of assumptions about my life experiences. You’re basing it all on a comment I made asking a person to look at the context and portrayal of sensitive subjects in anime? Dude...that doesn’t even make sense.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Boogiepop Phantom's story takes place one month after Boogiepop and Others' 3rd episode.The story also happens in a reality which has been altered-
The character Boogiepop Phantom is a incomplete,phantom version of Boogiepop,the same for Manticore Phantom,along with several other characters.

Thrown into the mix of having double,alternate versions of the story's characters,is how Boogiepop Phantom's story is told.

[/b]
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
I thought people talking about W'z being a sequel to Hand Shakers was a dirty lie, but after 3.5 minutes when a dude uttered the forbidden word "Hand Shakers," I peaced out so hard and never looked back. You will not get me, GoHands! One episode of Hand Shakers was enough to make me sick.

Now why would you ever doubt us forum folk? We're actually more honest than one would lead us to believe!

That said, W'z is perfect for those who want to get into Hand Shakers for the story, but want to work up to its special niche of visual direction from something a little more palatable first. Two episodes in and I'm digging it so far.

**also curious as to what Dzanjo said that got deleted before his post got banished altogether**
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The early year is a dumping ground for most forms of media, outside of modern games. The anime industry again follows suit but the one highlight at least stands out. The season´s overall low quality is another issue entirely but the spring seasons will thankfully prove a turnaround.

Boogiepop wa Warawanai Ep. 3 somewhat completed the story from ep. 2. The abysmal animation, the lack of characterization and the crazy rushed plot made it a total waste of my time though. Meaning that this anime has the same problems the Tokyo Ghoul “adaptations” had. Even the atmosphere has totally evaporated. I am done. The decision to go with 18 episodes is lastly kind of interesting. 4/10.

Dororo Director Kazuhiro Furuhashi still got it. The pacing isn´t perfect, the cutaways during the violence can be weird (this is Shounen after all) and Hyakkimaru´s creepy puppet face could have stayed longer but the team obviously delivered. The adaptation is already somewhat loose, as is tradition with Tezuka productions. 24 eps. is twice what I expected but i won´t complain if the quality keeps up. The manga´s biggest flaw is the non-ending. A new 3rd act is thus my biggest wish down the line. 8/10

JoJo Part 5 Vento Aureo and Star Wars Resistance (the story just picked up) are ongoing.
So are Steven Universe, The Simpsons, Teen Titans Go and Young Justice: Outsiders.

The FFXV Ardyn anime short is about the come out and Reign of the Supermen was better than part 1, even if the story made less sense. Seeing the black clad long haired Superman, for once, is also its own reward. My kind of fan service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
DZanjo wrote:
You’re making a lot of assumptions about my life experiences. You’re basing it all on a comment I made asking a person to look at the context and portrayal of sensitive subjects in anime? Dude...that doesn’t even make sense.

It's also entirely OT so if you guys want to have a discussion about your personal lives and experiences please take it to PM's.

A little side note to Key's post, personal insults towards ANYONE, staff or normal user, are not tolerated. Preview guides are often contentious but this has gotten ridiculous. Several of you have stepped over that line in this thread a few times. Several of you have also had posts removed multiple times. Enough is enough. The next person who wants to insult someone else personally, whether it is a staff member or normal user, is going on moderation immediately.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also checked out Kemono Friends 2. It made me sad. I guess they had to change the character designs (the eyes are just so wrong), which was half of the appeal of the original. It just feels like the people making it have no idea why the first season was so popular, and are just going with what they think are the tried and true elements. There's no heart. Like they're going through the steps with no understanding of why the dance is choreographed that way. I'll probably watch another episode at least, but I have a feeling it will be too depressing. Ah well, I still have Kemurikusa, which is pretty much Kemono Friends with different costuming and set decoration. Smile

I don't know, I thought that the first episode was pretty good. I mentally prepared myself to not expect anything, including not expecting to hate it just because of differences. Especially compared to the shorts they were releasing, Serval feels about right. Animation was improved, but not completely remove the sort of charming low quality aspects, such as the over expressive stuff showing up so much this season. Keeping some of the childish stuff, but with the sort of unnerving and sad things. The choice of not having Kaban felt like a bold choice, but how she was still acknowledged felt in line with the show. And I think may work to show that it can do its own thing without trying too hard to just copy the first.

I suspect many people are just going to have a tough time divorcing it from the controversy, but I think it is better to remember that people like the new director did not do anything wrong.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering the production issues they did a good job with it especially since they obviously don't have the rights for Kaban.

Why wouldn't they have the rights to Kaban. She is as much a part of the show as Serval is. I haven't heard anyone mention that Kaban wasn't part of Kemono Friends franchise.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering the production issues they did a good job with it especially since they obviously don't have the rights for Kaban.

Why wouldn't they have the rights to Kaban. She is as much a part of the show as Serval is. I haven't heard anyone mention that Kaban wasn't part of Kemono Friends franchise.

I don't know the details, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Friends like Serval, or at least versions of them, predate the anime. Kaban on the other hand was anime exclusive I believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 42