• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Old School Isekai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:18 am Reply with quote
Lol, I always thought Aura Battler Dunbine was about a heroine named Dunbine, like Battle Angel Alita or something. Laughing Actually, it sounds interesting now... I might finally have to check it out.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Lol, I always thought Aura Battler Dunbine was about a heroine named Dunbine, like Battle Angel Alita or something. Laughing Actually, it sounds interesting now... I might finally have to check it out.

There is only one heroine in Dunbine, and her name is Marvel Frozen.
What did Tomino mean with this name is left up to the interpretation of the viewer. Twisted Evil
Madzack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am Reply with quote
Why do today's anime fans considered isekai a new thing now when the genre has been around for decades? It's just baffling.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
Madzack wrote:
Why do today's anime fans considered isekai a new thing now when the genre has been around for decades? It's just baffling.

I suspect it's because the term "isekai" has only recently become popular outside Japan.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Most of the discussion on modern isekai (esp. the webnovel variety) tends to revolve around shounen isekai fantasy targeted at male readers - those have their own set of rules, like gaining Tangible Power to succeed in their new lives (and get all the girls) in a JRPG-like medieval fantasy world of elves, demihumans and others.

However, we shouldn't leave out discussion of shoujo/otome isekai, which also operate on their own rules, like:
- interpersonal communications and interactions are the way to success. Some may have Tangible Powers, but those are more to complement the interactions rather than the means to an end.
- There'll be many hot guys to see, but usually there's One True Pairing for the MC.
- Otome game-like 18th century fantasy world of high society and nobility. There'll be at least 1 prince. World is usually human-only; no fantastic races.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is yet another time where only looking at the anime side of things gets a really good quality manga-only series overlooked with From Far Away (which Viz did put out in its entirety! But is now OOP Crying or Very sad ) The amount of time Noriko spends in the real world before going off to the fantasy world is approximately as long as we see Subaru spend in the real world before he gets moved to the fantasy world (it's like, 3 pages, maybe less). But From Far Away also addresses something that I feel like a lot of other isekai gloss over: Noriko, our magic heroine from our world, literally cannot speak the language. Viz's translation did a great job showing this as her speech gradually gets better over the course of the series, which I think is pretty awesome. Noriko also has zero super powers. She's prophesized to bring about the downfall of the entire world, but she doesn't want to and has no idea how to stop it either. What she DOES have is a genuinely nice attitude and personality that is infectious. She's a genuinely likable character that you want to root for, and damn, if that doesn't feel rare enough sometimes! And she has good chemistry with Izark, the main guy (who is also a sky demon, prophesized to end the entire world), who starts out cold (though not a jerk, a distinction that I feel like a lot of series fail at), but you know they're going to be the main couple in the end anyway. But fortunately, they progress slowly and organically. It's just a really good isekai series with two really good main leads that deserves to be read more!

I love From Far Away! I love it for the same reasons you do, and Noriko is such a great character! While the print mangas are OOP, the series is now available digitally, along with Red River! If only the same could be said for Haruka: Beyond The Stream of Time. That's an old school isekai manga that NEEDS a digital re-release!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It's the same naming sense, though Alita's is actually a completely American creation that just follows that style, and mech anime is super big on it, especially in the 80s. Pretty much every single mech anime from that time (& a bunch in the 70s, too) went with the "Adjective Noun Name" style, usually to match what the robots themselves are actually called in the shows, even to the point of not matching what the actual Japanese title would literally translate as. For example, Metal Armor Dragonar's actual name in Japan is Kikou Senki Dragonar, which translates more directly as "Record of Metal War Dragonar", while Round Verninan Vifam is actually Ginga Hyoryu/Galactic Drifter Vifam.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Isekai is as old as dirt. Or at least as old as Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland Laughing Some people seem to think isekai is something new, or has to be based on a light-novel to be considered an isekai. Chances are a lot of haters love isekai stories, they just don't consider them isekai.
Old as dirt is correct, the roots of it can be seen as going all the way back to folklore and mythology. The journey of Orpheus into the land of the dead to attempt to bring his wife back from the living, the story of True Thomas and his seven year journey through heaven, hell, and fairyland, the roots of that trope are deep and old.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is only one heroine in Dunbine, and her name is Marvel Frozen.
What did Tomino mean with this name is left up to the interpretation of the viewer.

Marvel Frozen? Isn't that Anglo-Saxon?
InuKag1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I LOVED Fushigi Yuugi, but I always thought Inuyasha, my all time favorite anime, was isekai as well. Oh well, I happen to like that genre and the cool worlds the characters are transported to
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Really, most of the blame for that falls on Watase herself (and/or the publishers) for keeping the manga going past an obvious/natural conclusion point. Volumes 14-18 had a strong tacked-on, quasi-fanfiction feel to them, and that's what the first two OVA series were based on. If the manga had ended at Vol. 13, AKA the end of the TV series, it wouldn't have been that much of a loss. Eikouden, otoh, was the true anime-original travesty of the franchise.

I actually rather liked the OVAs, especially the second series. (And the music was so good!!) Eikouden though........ As much as I love FY, I skipped out on buying the DVDs for this. They were written by a novelist and only illustrated by Watase though so I think it's easier to separate them from the main story and ignore.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
Mark Twain, 1889: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Connecticut_Yankee_in_King_Arthur%27s_Court
Quote:
In the book, a Yankee engineer from Connecticut named Hank Morgan receives a severe blow to the head and is somehow transported in time and space to England during the reign of King Arthur. After some initial confusion and his capture by one of Arthur's knights, Hank realizes that he is actually in the past, and he uses his knowledge to make people believe that he is a powerful magician. He attempts to modernize the past in order to make people's lives better, but in the end he is unable to prevent the death of Arthur and an interdict against him by the Catholic Church of the time, which grows fearful of his power.

I grew up watching the 1995 live action Disney version, "A Kid in King Arthur's Court." It also has its MC con people into thinking he's a magician, and adds a young princess who falls for him. Her older sister was played by a 19-year-old Kate Winslet.

The "Den" section of the animated movie Heavy Metal (1981) is effectively an American self-insert ecchi isekai:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_(film)#Den
Quote:
A nerdy teenager finds a "green meteorite" and puts it in his rock collection. During a lightning experiment, the orb hurls the boy into the world of Neverwhere, where he transforms into a naked, bald-headed muscular man called Den, an acronym for his earth name, David Ellis Norman. After getting a nearby article of clothing to keep anyone from seeing his "dork" hanging out, Den witnesses a strange ritual, rescuing a nubile young woman who was about to be sacrificed to Uhluhtc. Reaching safety, she introduces herself as Katherine Wells from the British colony of Gibraltar. While she demonstrates her gratitude with sexual favors, they are interrupted by the minions of Ard, an immortal man who wants to obtain the Loc-Nar for himself. He orders Den to get the Loc-Nar from the Queen, who performed the ritual. Den agrees and infiltrates the palace, but is promptly caught by the Queen, who offers leniency if he has sex with her. He complies, thereby distracting the Queen while the raiding party steals the Loc-Nar. Den escapes and races back to rescue Katherine from Ard. Recreating the lightning incident that drew him to Neverwhere, he is able to banish Ard and the Queen. Den's voice-over has him suspecting that they were teleported to his mom's house and she will be surprised. Refusing the opportunity to take the Loc-Nar for himself, Den rides with Katherine into the sunset content to remain in Neverwhere. As for the Loc-Nar, it rises into the sky and lands on a space station where it is picked up by someone.

It's actually impossible to make that second link functional. Using URL tags results in [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_(film)#Den]this[/url].
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Another aspect I don't like about them is the ones where the misplaced character wishes to return to drab old home instead of the wonderful new world, the "Oz" conundrum.

Well, that's because Dorothy missed her family, right? She returns with them to Oz and they settle down there permanently, so she does end up staying in Oz.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:

I was always meaning to get into Red River too, but at the time it was hard to find copies of it, being a longer series and the older volumes went OOP pretty fast, it seemed. I was always surprised when I saw the "EXPLICIT CONTENT" stamp on it, since well, Fushigi Yuugi sure had a lot of stuff that really pushed those boundaries (for a western rating, that is). Did you ever check that one out? I was always curious on how bad it actually got, to deserve that rating.

There's sex in it, but it's fade to black. The explicit content tag is mostly because nipples are drawn on the characters and are uncensored. For all genders, but of course it's mainly the female ones that are "offensive".
Black_Kenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, I had watched Eikouden a few years ago before I saw the main series (which I've heard of, and was interested in watching for years before that) and didn't think that it was that bad. Once Crunchyroll got the main series, I watched that, loved it, then went back to Eikouden to see how it held up. Since I had the perspective of knowing who the characters were and the main story, Eikouden did not hold up all that well and now I can see why it's so disliked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4