• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Made in Abyss Film Casts Inori Minase as Prushka in New Scene

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that we're getting at least one new scene in the compilation film! Of course, that then creates the classic problem with anime compilation films: it's rarely straightforward which is better, the uncut episodes, or the cut-but-has-extra-content compilation.

And if I am understanding things correctly, we now have two new pieces of content to look forward to: the 2nd season of the TV, plus the new film Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei. (or am I misunderstanding things, and the "new content" is the movie Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei and we're not getting a new TV series at all)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
To me it is starting to look more and more like the sequel is going to be a movie and not the second season that some of us wanted/wished for. I will of course take a movie, but I definitely prefer a new TV season.
Draconix814

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Nice to see that we're getting at least one new scene in the compilation film! Of course, that then creates the classic problem with anime compilation films: it's rarely straightforward which is better, the uncut episodes, or the cut-but-has-extra-content compilation.

And if I am understanding things correctly, we now have two new pieces of content to look forward to: the 2nd season of the TV, plus the new film Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei. (or am I misunderstanding things, and the "new content" is the movie Fukaki Tamashii no Reimei and we're not getting a new TV series at all)

We're not getting a new TV series, at least not for a while. There isn't enough content already for a full season with a satisfying conclusion, especially not after the next arc/movie.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
To me it is starting to look more and more like the sequel is going to be a movie and not the second season that some of us wanted/wished for. I will of course take a movie, but I definitely prefer a new TV season.

I'm starting to think that you're right.

Draconix814 wrote:
There isn't enough content already for a full season with a satisfying conclusion, especially not after the next arc/movie.

Well, that didn't stop them from releasing the first TV series (or countless other anime, FTM) I haven't been following the manga all that closely, but if I understand correctly there is now about twice the manga released as was extant for the first TV series? That seems like a minor obstacle. But I do agree that it seems like we're getting the new movie instead of a new TV series. I had it in my head that a new TV series was announced, but when I went back and checked articles all I can find is mention of a sequel, without specifics as to what that sequel might be.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
If they do a second season, which will likely be after the 6th layer arc is completed, I can see them giving the Bondrewed movie the Gundam Unicron treatment and spread the movie out over a few episodes, then animate the 6th layer arc.
Hatsu95

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It's already confirmed that it's a movie and not a second season right here
https://twitter.com/miabyss_anime/status/1081113253290360833
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be a very relentlessly dark movie.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, double post.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
It's my understanding they're making a movie instead of a TV season because the later parts of the manga are too graphic for TV.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's my understanding they're making a movie instead of a TV season because the later parts of the manga are too graphic for TV.

Has someone officially said that? Legit curious, because if that's true, it's doubtful we'll ever get another series. =(

I thought though it's just because the person making the manga is very slow. The anime came out in 2017, and the series started in 2012. Where the manga left off when the series was over wasn't that far ahead of the series. Seems to me they need to wait like another five years before they can produce another 12 episodes.
dcresistance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Has someone officially said that?

It literally says in the article

"Made in Abyss the Movie: Dawn of the Deep Soul"
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:

Has someone officially said that? Legit curious, because if that's true, it's doubtful we'll ever get another series. =(

I don't know about any official announcements, but having read the manga, yeah, it's extremely dark. It's certainly a reasonable assumption.

Quote:
I thought though it's just because the person making the manga is very slow. The anime came out in 2017, and the series started in 2012. Where the manga left off when the series was over wasn't that far ahead of the series. Seems to me they need to wait like another five years before they can produce another 12 episodes.

If I remember correctly, the TV anime ran through manga chapter 23 or 24 while the most recently published chapter is 50. So we already have enough extant manga for a full 2nd season.

The same month the TV anime started airing (July 2017) the tankobon volume containing manga chapters up through 42 was released.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

And so many folks just do not realize yet just how twisted of a body horror story Made in Abyss is.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:

The anime ended at the,let's say PG 13 part of the manga.This movie picks up where the manga is R rated.At this point,an anime adaption would require quite a bit of censoring (picture chapter 50 being shown on TV uncensored).

And then there is,as you mentioned, the author's obsession with things other than writing...though he's not at the level of G R.R Martin.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
So I have to hear Inorin suffer ;-;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1