• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Old School Isekai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Does anyone else consider Digimon to be an isekai? Not every season, but season 1 is a pretty strong contender for being considered one, I think. Group of 7 kids, go to a new world, get awesome monsters, are kind of stuck there? Of course, the series does eventually decide to shunt them back to the real world for the finale, but the first 2/3rds or so are pretty strongly isekai, in my opinion.

I think the first two seasons of Digimon were definitely isekai since even though the Digital World is in a computer, I don't think it's quite the same as a video game since it's not really considered that way by the real world characters. I think Tamers is more in line with a Trapped in a Video Game show though as the first two seasons of Digimon are considered a video game and a TV show in Tamers.

Quote:
I think the first isekai anime I watched was 1988's Tenku Senki Shurato. That show lifted a lot from Saint Seiya, but the fact that the main character and his rival/best friend were transported to a heavenly parallel world gave it enough of a different flavor.
I think my first isekai anime was watching the ye olde Fox Kids broadcast of the Ocean dub of Escaflowne way back in high school. I remember being blown away by how good and unique Escaflowne was and I loved how it mixed together different genres in one show.

Stories about characters being transported to another world have always been one of my favorite subgenres in fantasy fiction ever since growing up as a kid watching The Wizard of Oz. I know a lot of people complain about the gimmicky aspect off modern isekai shows, but that's part of the appeal of isekai anime to me is seeing the different ways each title plays with the genre tropes in fun ways and why I love the Slime show so much.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
I, personally, would consider 1983's Super Dimension Century Orguss to be an isekai series as well. Granted, it could be argued that it's considered a time travel show, the world that the main character is transported is a future Earth made up of several parallel Earths together.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:56 am Reply with quote
I wanna know how Dungeons & Dragons [should] ended Surprised
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Here you go - the actual (never animated) script by series writer Michael Reaves that could have either ended the series or theoretically taken the series in a new direction -

https://web.archive.org/web/20110720142026/http://www.michaelreaves.com/pdf/requiem_sec.pdf

There's some contextual info, and debunking of a fan myth, here -

https://www.cbr.com/dungeons-dragons-tv-show-end-with-death/
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
The 1939 movie version of Wizard of Oz could be argued that it's "just a dream" rather than Isekai, but in the books, Oz is definitely real as far as I remember.

People mentioned Alice in Wonderland.

Gulliver's Travels is kind of Isekai (or just unexplored parts of our world ... still a lot of the same tropes, though).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The Chronicles of Narnia would be another early Western "isekai" title.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I recall bringing up the Narnia books in an isekai discussion once. It's virtually a dead horse to say "I wish anime would stray from the popular formula" in any way, but I liked the use of Narnia's fast time to tell that world's entire story from beginning to end. NGNL sort of did that spoiler[via reincarnation]. I always say anime under-utilizes its ability to tell epic stories spanning generations. Jojo shouldn't be such a rare example.

In terms of resemblance to the current standard mold, I think Mark Twain came closest the earliest Smile
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5095666#5095666
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Other old school isekai from the US would include The Incomplete Enchanter (1940) by L.Sprague deCamp and Fletcher Pratt and Three Hearts and Three Lions (1961) by Poul Anderson.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:58 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Here you go - the actual (never animated) script by series writer Michael Reaves that could have either ended the series or theoretically taken the series in a new direction -

https://web.archive.org/web/20110720142026/http://www.michaelreaves.com/pdf/requiem_sec.pdf

There's some contextual info, and debunking of a fan myth, here -

https://www.cbr.com/dungeons-dragons-tv-show-end-with-death/

Thanks, I've actually already read it. Smile

But it's not official until it gets finalized on screen! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4