• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Alicization Premieres on Toonami on February 9

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's actually stunning that Toonami didn't air GGO first, even just to remind people of the SAO universe. It's been several years since SAO Season 2 and Toonami's ratings are continuing to sink I don't know if Season 3 can be the shot in the arm the block needs.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
hmm tempting, but still not gonna watch it, been avoiding this whole arc till i finish the books for it, 3 more are left in the main story which based on yen press' release time table, should end with the final being released in December.
Im gonna end up buying the entire limited edition blu ray set anyhow...640 bucks later...(based on seasons 1 and 2 pricing i got)
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Huh now that I think about it I should have expected it.

Hmmmh I may or may not watch it, just have to settle my regards against it.

Honestly what turns me off from Alicization is the knowledge of a certain plot-line that completely ruins this arc & ergo show for me.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Huh I expected Mob Psycho 2 before SAO3 but I’m fine with this as well.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
At this point as much as I love Toonami they just cannot survive in the age of streaming IMO. Too many sites offer subbed and dubbed anime and without having to wait till midnight or later just to watch a single episode. They need to change their style or rent out a longer block with more than just long shounen shows to keep them afloat tbh. It's sad to see Toonami like this because they were my childhood.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised to see season 3 since Toonami has a preference for consistency that comes with sequels, but two episodes a week is surprising. Maybe the plan was to have two new shows, but then the timing didn't work out? I seem to recall Toonami having to do last minute adjustments because of that before.

Like DDragonking said, Mob Psycho 2 would have been the obvious choice, especially since we know from prior licensing announcements that a dub is in production.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Also forgot to mention that this is another long running show that toonami has Super still going strong, My Hero season 3 will more than likely begin when S2 ends, Jojo is about a third done, Shippuden, Boruto, and BC aren’t slowing down either. They need shorter shows to add variety otherwise the audience will get bored.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm not surprised to see season 3 since Toonami has a preference for consistency that comes with sequels, but two episodes a week is surprising. Maybe the plan was to have two new shows, but then the timing didn't work out? I seem to recall Toonami having to do last minute adjustments because of that before.

Like DDragonking said, Mob Psycho 2 would have been the obvious choice, especially since we know from prior licensing announcements that a dub is in production.

It's not 2 a week, just for the first, since the first episode was a one hour special
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
While I'm sure I'll watch this because of there being nothing else on during this timeslot, I'm not really hyped... I jumped into SAO when Toonami played Season 2 (also because there was nothing else on TV, and it was airing between shows I actually wanted to see), and left that feeling kinda "meh". And given what I've heard about Season 3, I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy this season either.

At the same point, I also have to admit I'm also not keen on having another long-running series on Toonami either, with knowing that this is a four-cour. At this point, that means nearly every new series (not the re-runs) are all long-runners, minus MegaloBox which is also ending soon. Granted, JoJo Part 4, Hunter x Hunter, and DBS are nearing their ends, but they still have more than half a year's of episodes each, not to mention MHA we know Season 3 will air right after Season 2 ends. While I'm kinda glad to have a lot of long-running series because it means I'll be invested in Toonami more and more to keep watching them, it'd be nice if we could get more one-cour series as well.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
SAO is one of Aniplex's best dubs so I'm glad to see it airing on Toonami. I do wish though they could have picked up the movie at least since it leads up the events of season three. For a block that's supposedly dying because of streaming, Crunchyroll must see something of value in the block that they invested in airing Mob Psycho 100 in their own Crunchyroll branded half hour segment of to block. Toonami is still useful for introducing casual fans to ankme and it seems like dub fans still rely more on Toonami.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The real question is: Are they showing two episodes back to back or is the second one a rerun?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
The real question is: Are they showing two episodes back to back or is the second one a rerun?
The first episode is 45 minutes long.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
... the movie at least since it leads up the events of season three.

No, it doesn't. The "connection" you are referring to is just a shoehorned reference that holds zero baring at all to the story.

I'm a big SAO fan, but that movie was god awful. I really wish it didn't exist and that Kawahari took the time he lost working on the movie and spent it on the progressive series. It's the reason why volume 5 was a year late.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
... the movie at least since it leads up the events of season three.

No, it doesn't. The "connection" you are referring to is just a shoehorned reference that holds zero baring at all to the story.

I'm a big SAO fan, but that movie was god awful. I really wish it didn't exist and that Kawahari took the time he lost working on the movie and spent it on the progressive series. It's the reason why volume 5 was a year late.

The problem is that while yes, it was shoehorned, it still made some impact. Heck, even Yuna's pops was "inserted" into the dev team that Rinko and co belonged. For now, with little to no contact to the IRL world, it's hard to say if you're missing out on the movie stuff or not.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
While it's not the best anime movie, the SAO movie is far from awful and not even the worst part of the SAO franchise and I personally liked the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2