• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bean Bandit Episode 0 Anime Project Reveals Cast, More Staff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand what continuity this fits into. It has the original blond haired character design for Rally from the Bean Bandit OVA, but it also has Minnie and Becky from the later Gunsmith Cats manga?
Farewell Days of Youth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Its an attempt to tie everything together in a "new" continuity if I recall from the presentation at Acen last year-henceforth why characters from the manga are with a blonde Rally.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This is essentially a pilot, isn’t it?

Well, everyone and their mother wants original anime for their streaming service, so I’m pretty sure someone will be interested.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I am all for it. If all his plans are successful, perhaps there would be interest in making a true Gunsmith Cats TV series, along with Cannon God Exaxxion.

Even a BD release of Gall Force would be nice.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I would be pleasantly surprised if, rather than kowtowing to the conventions of today's Japanese music industry, this show instead opted to use a soundtrack reminiscent of its origins. (In effect, kowtowing to the conventions of yesteryear's Japanese music industry. The best sort of kowtowing.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to what the end goal of this project?

They aren't giving any more info on whether it will be a show or not. It's like a a radio drama except animated. You get teased about something possible and then nothing happens the way you expect.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

They aren't giving any more info on whether it will be a show or not. It's like a a radio drama except animated. You get teased about something possible and then nothing happens the way you expect.

The assumption is that it’s a pilot meant to drum up interest, What with Netflix and Crunchyroll throwing money at original productions.

That’s how Little Witch Academia became a TV series.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

The assumption is that it’s a pilot meant to drum up interest, What with Netflix and Crunchyroll throwing money at original productions.

Well, considering how big Netflix is getting with original anime content being placed on their platform this would be a plus for older anime fans and drum some interest for newer fans that have been wanting for a 'Riding Bean' or even a 'Gunsmith Cats' anime. I mean 'Cutie Honey' gets rebooted every so many years. There was also that rumor many years as to whether Sonoda would continue on with the BGC series, but years later we got 2040. We got a Ushio & Tora an series no one expected to see revived. And there was also a "nod" to a 3x3 Eyes project, but it was never set in stone.

While interests may vary going forward but it doesn't always equate to a full project.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

The main goal is to give Western fans a BluRay edition of this old OVA. I am sure they are hoping for renewed interest also. I am hoping so, because Kenichi Sonoda is one of my favorite artists, up there with Masamune Shirow and Johji Manabe.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
You would think that going out of their way to make new animation to gauge interest would be to accomplish more than just releasing old material.

Not to mention if someone like Crunchyroll really is serious about getting in the game, and their first blow isn't something the internet collectively hated, but a Bean Bandit TV show or finally biting and bullet and animating Cannon God Exaxxion, it would be a massive first strike.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

The main goal is to give Western fans a BluRay edition of this old OVA. I am sure they are hoping for renewed interest also. I am hoping so, because Kenichi Sonoda is one of my favorite artists, up there with Masamune Shirow and Johji Manabe.

Ah, but collectors DO want it. And they definitely want a 'GSC' too. But it would be great to see a newly animated 'Riding Bean' or 'GSC' because the source material is finished and out there. So far quite a few show have gotten revivals, but interest changes quite a bit as newer generations of anime will check in but they didn't grow up with it and are more in tune with shows like a 'MHA' and things going forward, but not totally disconnected. But all anime new and reboots of old is always welcome.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
The main goal is to give Western fans a BluRay edition of this old OVA.

Just what old OVA are you talking about? The Riding Bean OVA is already available on Bluray from AnimEigo. The Gunsmith Cats OVA is coming and will most likely be available to the general public when the Kickstarter is fulfilled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1