• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hi Score Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
One of the best anime romances I've ever seen. I'm not even into retro gaming, but this made it look very appealing without being so deep into the culture that it wouldn't appeal to outsiders. Can't wait for the OVAs!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a series worth checking out. I've been recommending it to all my friends. Smile

By the way, it still isn't definitive if the OVAs will mark the end of the series. The manga itself has way way more material that covers events after the OVA. It honestly remains to be seen if the OVA will sell well enough to warrant a second season.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this - well written and amusing when it came to gaming (and arcades just bring tons of nostalgia to me - being an American different sort of experience since my arcade gaming always was coupled with pizza...but still hit a chord nonetheless). If I had one complaint, it is the main female character never speaks. Ever. There are parts that suck me in and feel real, but the mute behavior takes me out of it. At some point, someone should be worried about this girl and her refusal to speak! But it's somewhat minor since as an anime character, you can tell what she is thinking and feeling through actions. I recommend it.
Rise Of The Research Hero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendation. This is an outstanding show. For me, the romance was just an amazing bonus. I really enjoyed the entire feel of it. I'm surprised this didn't make more top ten lists.
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
I have never been a gamer, let alone one who visited arcades, so I dare to say that it speaks tons about its quality that I enjoyed this show, its insight into the world and history of arcade games, and the fascination it had for some of my friends!

And yes, while the fact that Akira does not speak a single word throughout the whole series, and still the production team manages to show her thoughts and emotions through facial expressions, actions and, none the least, the way she plays the games, is highly impressive and in my opinion a very strong point in favor of the show, I do hope that she will be able to enter a conversation by the end of the show (the OVAs).
toprak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1
I really like the concept, color palettes and different art style. I can't say anything about pacing for now, but it seems good, I'll see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1