• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Sirius the Jaeger Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suxinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cowboy vampires hunters, even!

You mean spoiler[cowboy vampire hunters who are also vampires themselves. So vampire cowboy vampire hunters, for short!] (And that really isn't much of a spoiler because like everything else in this anime, the cliched reveal could be seen coming a mile away.)

I found Sirius the Jaeger pretty darn forgettable, and a bit of a chore to sit through in its latter half, though I think I went into it with slightly more expectations than "brainless popcorn fun" and so I was significantly more disappointed. I probably would've enjoyed it more as a marathon than as the week-by-week series I ended up watching it as. Good call releasing this all at once, Netflix.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though for all the futzing around, Yuliy's arc is actually pretty nice. He's introduced as this guy whose raison d'etre is to exterminate vampires, but he finds out his long-lost brother has become one and can't bring himself to kill him. So then he has to start looking for a whole new purpose in life, 

If you take away all the vampire/action trappings, this is the base and most strongly defined plot arc of the entire series. I believe Sirius is just a coming of age series disguised as a vampire hunter series, in line with most PA Works originals having this plot thread in them.

It was the same for Kuromukuro, a teen SOL/ coming of age disguised as mecha scifi.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes you just need popcorn fun! It's completely cliche, but I loved it!. That setting was hella stylish, even if they didn't do anything politically (which is for the best, I don't need 1. "Japan did nothing wrong in WWII" or 2. "We don't think Japan did nothing wrong, but we won't go there, because we might get right wing protesters". Remember Joker's Game, which couldn't commit? Joker's Game was Not Good)

I had the opposite reaction to Ryouko, though. She kept mindlessly running into danger because she was boy crazy. I kept yelling at that idiot to stop running towards the fight!

The blond kid had an angsty backstory, too. He was basically British Batman! Too bad he didn't get an arc!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Sometimes you just need popcorn fun! It's completely cliche, but I loved it!. That setting was hella stylish

This about sums up how I felt about it, though minus the exclamation points, and loved -> liked.

It executed OK on a premise filled with familiar but fun cliches. That's not normally cause for praise in my book, but Netflix has done a pretty bad job with anime in general, in my impression, so I count this as a win for them.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Sometimes you just need popcorn fun! It's completely cliche, but I loved it!. That setting was hella stylish

This about sums up how I felt about it, though minus the exclamation points, and loved -> liked.

It executed OK on a premise filled with familiar but fun cliches. That's not normally cause for praise in my book, but Netflix has done a pretty bad job with anime in general, in my impression, so I count this as a win for them.

I'm seriously starting to get really tired of this whole Netflix= BAAAD attitude that many anime fans seem to have. Last year they released Devilman, Hero Mask, Castlevania and B, all excellent series, as original content. If we add stuff like Violet Evergarden (one of the most beautiful series I've seen in years) or Sirius (which I thoroughly enjoyed) it turns out that roughly 50% of the series I enjoyed the most in 2018 were in Netflix.... so yeah, they are doing a pretty damn good job with anime if you ask me.
NeverKnewINeeded

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
I'm seriously starting to get really tired of this whole Netflix= BAAAD attitude that many anime fans seem to have. Last year they released Devilman, Hero Mask, Castlevania and B, all excellent series, as original content. If we add stuff like Violet Evergarden (one of the most beautiful series I've seen in years) or Sirius (which I thoroughly enjoyed) it turns out that roughly 50% of the series I enjoyed the most in 2018 were in Netflix.... so yeah, they are doing a pretty damn good job with anime if you ask me.

It's less about the quality of Netflix's output and more about the fact that Netflix doesn't simulcast stuff.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
It's called a bustier, gentlemen, and leather is de rigueur for goth clubbing.

I stopped watching Naruto a couple of episodes in because THE CHARACTERS ARE ALL REALLY BORING AND NARUTO NEVER SHUTS UP AND HIS SAND IN YOUR EYE SOCKETS VOICE MAKES ME WANT TO KILL HIM AND THE SEIYUU AND THE DIRECTOR AND ALL THE ANIMATORS. All right?

Haven't watched Penny Dreadful, either.

Either way, it sounds as if Sirius the Jaeger is the bastard of Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.

Pass.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
I feel like Sirius the Jaegar epitomizes the problem you have when you get an anime that's well executed and checks all the right boxes but never rises above being just average. As far as vampire action anime go, I thought Sirius was a fine enough hold over until Wit finally gives us a continuation of Seraph of the End, though I thought season two of Castlevania had more substance and better animation. The music in Sirius was very good though and I liked Philip and I wish he had an actual character arc. I felt satisfied with the ending but I wouldn't mind having a second season, which feels inevitable after Sirius made it into so many categories in the Crunchyroll awards this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1