• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Harem Royale -When the Game Ends- GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a Ryukishi original, so it's most likely overall quality stuff. I've been wanting to read it for a while now, and since it's releasing in english at last, and the story is ending in Japan, I bet this is the best time to jump into it.
Tropical Blitz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Ryukishi, I had been waiting for this since aside from the premise being a very interesting take on the genre (Doki Doki Club meets Bokurano meets Liar's Game was what someone described it to me) as well as wanting to get back into reading something he wrote after finishing Rose Gun Days recently.

This point in particular

Quote:
This whole concept still could have become a sadistic mess, but the decision to reorient the story on Furuwada saves the premise. It allows the absurdity of the scenario to be examined from a woman's point of view, acknowledging that teenage boys do have pretty silly fantasies without being judgmental about it. Some commentary about unwanted romantic attention could also probably be read into this setup, but it's not delivered forcefully enough to imply that the writer had such a message in mind. Furuwada is an intelligent and sensible character, making her reaction to the touchier aspects of her situation come across much more tastefully.

Makes me pretty happy, since it does show how this twisted situation can work out through the girls soling it on their own.

Looking forward at picking up the release at the end of the month. Any ETA on volume 2 onward?
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
Manga is pretty nice but I still need physical edition, so...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
I liked it, looking forward to additional volumes.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I had a story I was going to write that had a vaguely similar plot and the exact same name and now I can't make it. Thanks ryukishi07 Crying or Very sad
I wouldn't mind reading this some time
gpanthony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I had a story I was going to write that had a vaguely similar plot and the exact same name and now I can't make it. Thanks ryukishi07 Crying or Very sad
I wouldn't mind reading this some time

I know that feeling.. somewhere out there, there's a creative hive mind giving similar ideas to people throughout the world (which wouldn't be a bad hook for a story in and of itself)
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
I know that feeling.. somewhere out there, there's a creative hive mind giving similar ideas to people throughout the world (which wouldn't be a bad hook for a story in and of itself)

Better write that story now before you learn some manga used the same idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1