• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
14 Aniplex USA Releases to Go Out of Print

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ickybott555

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Can we consider the fact that maybe the sales of these copies are low or very expensive to purchase (Unlimited Budget Work)?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex titles are too expensive for me to afford but I hope this isn't going to effect the streaming rights any.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
And this is why it is wise for just about any North American anime fan that wants to save money and not have to worry about shows going out of print to get an all-region bluray player and import from the UK. Not only that, they have things that aren't in the US yet, like I've had A Silent Voice on BD for over a year, as well as Berserk '97 on BD. Cherry-picking from either US or UK sellers is the way to do it.

Edit: For some examples -
Blue Exorcist Season 1 BD - $41
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood complete series BD - $58
Charlotte Part 1 BD - $31
Charlotte Part 2 BD - $22
Unlimited Blade Works Part 1 BD - $44
Unlimited Blade Works Part 2 BD - $44
Fate/Zero Part 1 BD - $33
(Fate/Zero S2 out of stock)
Bakemonogatari BD - $39

And yes, all of these come with English subtitles and the American dubs where applicable.

For your convenience, here is a UK Region B blu ray player for $55 that can play all of these, but won't play US BDs.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
First, I'd say that import items going out of print doesn't really have the same implications that domestic releases do.

Second, the remaining 10 items on the list are notably either cours or series in their entirety, and thus may eventually be getting a complete set release down the road, dependent on such a release occurring in Japan first (which tends to dictate when AoA does complete sets of things).

Third, it's very possible AoA simply produced as many copies as they ever planned to in order to reach their break even and add calculated profit on top. Blu-ray discs are not consumable items like, say, bags of potato chips, so licensing timelines aside, it doesn't really do a studio any favors to just keep pumping out discs unless it's one of the few hyper-popular evergreen hits, because otherwise they just get stuck repurposing excess stock in order to keep titles active via new SKUs and to fulfill their self-imposed obligations to retail chains, which doesn't guarantee success and may actually make things worse for them (see also: mid 2000s anime bubble).
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
If I pick up anything from this, I'll get the Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga on DVD for $60. Not worth paying twice as much for Blu-ray of an Aniplex title.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
praying for BLue Exorcist sets.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I still need to buy Charlotte!
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Even if it's re-released by Aniplex USA I'm still hoping Aniplex Japan will release a Standard Edition Box Set of Unlimited Blade Works in the future (probably not until 2021 when the last Heaven's Feel movie concludes in 2020)

I'm very satisfied with my Standard Edition Blu-ray Box Set of Fate/Zero.

Before Aniplex USA reduced their prices (slightly...) the Aniplex Japan Standard Edition Box Set was actually better value than the combined price of both seasons from Aniplex USA.

The English dub (yes it's included! English subs too) audio is encoded at a higher quality. Even if I had money to waste to support Aniplex USA it was disappointing to learn Aniplex USA only encoded the dub audio at 192 kbps... (never bothered fixing it for their own reprints/re-releases) Glad I waited and got a better version. Amazon Japan ships worldwide and the discs are region free too.
Toonces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not so worried about Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga. I think it's popular enough that it's getting a complete collection like the first season.

AoA is still stupidly expensive, but they could at least release the seasons in a complete set.
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
I don't have any Aniplex Blu-ray or DVD yet... but hey... there's FMA Brotherhood Blu-ray Sets at an actually pretty good price tag for $100 per set ($3.33 and $2.94 per episode), or there's that Sword Art Online Season 1 DVD Set for $70 ($2.69 per episode). I guess these are my only options for AoA physical releases, so here's to hoping for the same to happen to SAO Season 2 and Blue Exorcist as it did SAO S1...
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
well i do have that sword art online ost, but yea aniplex is costly, I do typically buy only dubbed animes and they dont seem too do many, so far i only got the SAO series and asterisk war from them.
though my addiction for persona took over with me getting all the persona 3 movies and persona 4 golden which are both subbed only Razz
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:55 am Reply with quote
Out of print does not mean its license has expired though. Usually Aniplex releases a cheaper all-in-one edition later on sometimes with extras (physical or digital) removed from the initial separate volume release, but the problem is that they don't do so immediately after the original releases go out of print, so you're stuck with no way to buy them for a good period of time except for scalpers on ebay.
Toonces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:57 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Out of print does not mean its license has expired though. Usually Aniplex releases a cheaper all-in-one edition later on sometimes with extras (physical or digital) removed from the initial separate volume release, but the problem is that they don't do so immediately after the original releases go out of print, so you're stuck with no way to buy them for a good period of time except for scalpers on ebay.

Wait, they actually remove digital extras? If true, yikes.

Also hilarious when you consider the prices of items LegitPancake listed above. In comparison, the complete series of Blue Exorcist (S1) and FMA:B cost $160 and $200 respectively.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:19 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
And this is why it is wise for just about any North American anime fan that wants to save money and not have to worry about shows going out of print to get an all-region bluray player and import from the UK. Not only that, they have things that aren't in the US yet, like I've had A Silent Voice on BD for over a year, as well as Berserk '97 on BD. Cherry-picking from either US or UK sellers is the way to do it.

Edit: For some examples -
Blue Exorcist Season 1 BD - $41
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood complete series BD - $58
Charlotte Part 1 BD - $31
Charlotte Part 2 BD - $22
Unlimited Blade Works Part 1 BD - $44
Unlimited Blade Works Part 2 BD - $44
Fate/Zero Part 1 BD - $33
(Fate/Zero S2 out of stock)
Bakemonogatari BD - $39

And yes, all of these come with English subtitles and the American dubs where applicable.

Don't forget Baccano! The Blu-ray is available to purchase from the UK. You can buy it for £15.99 from Zavvi.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 am Reply with quote
I'd rather download Aniplex's titles. Too expensive for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2