• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Far From Perfect': Fans Recount Unwanted Affection from Voice Actor Vic Mignogna

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Addressing a few issues & questions.

Why didn't ANN contact Mignogna?
A: We did. The article states "Anime News Network reached out to Mignogna to comment in hopes of gaining more specifics about the allegations. He declined to comment and instead chose to stand by his statement from January 21. " We'll be moving that statement earlier in the article.

ANN should edit the article with Todd Haberkorn's Statement.
This article is about Vic Mignogna. We included Jessie Pridemore's full statement because it was a part of her statement about Mignogna. If ANN does report on the Haberkorn story, we will of course try to contact him and reference his statement. The fact that Haberkorn has issued a public statement does increase the likelihood that his statement will be reported on. It may simply be a simple news story about his statement, or an in depth look at the entire story. The former would be the purview of the news department and could already be in the works. The latter would take quite a lot of research (ie: weeks) before determining if an article is even possible. Once finished by the journalists, any article that alleges illegal or unethical behavior would be forwarded to an ethics consultant, and then, at my discretion, to a lawyer. So it could take a while.

ANN Included images of girls who were willing participants in Mignogna's behaviour
Yes, we did. We intentionally included images of willing participants. This is to show a pattern in the way Mignogna interacts with his younger fans. It's up to the reader to decide if they feel that it is appropriate for a man in Mignogna's position to act that way towards an underage, willing fan. We felt that it was important to inform the public, including parents of his fans, of this behaviour, so that they could make their own decisions about whether they are comfortable with it.

The article does not imply those girls were unwilling participants, however the article will be updated to make it explicitly clear that those girls were willing participants.

Some images were used without permission
They were already published on the Internet and publicly visible. They are an important part of illustrating a story of public importance. We feel that our use of said images is justified.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
And I saw nothing about you attempting to contact Vic to get his viewpoint. If you're honest journalists, you would do so. Real Journalists find the Truth, not take sides.

You might wanna re-read the article.

Quote:
Anime News Network reached out to Mignogna to comment in hopes of gaining more specifics about the allegations. He declined to comment and instead chose to stand by his statement from January 21.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Post deleted. The article and thread are about Vic Mignogna, not Todd Haberkorn. Chris has addressed Todd in his post above. Further discussion stops there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
The 2nd one has hasn't been in the industry for years and probably hasn't even been to a con as a guest.

On the second point, he definitely has been to cons as a guest.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I want to thank the moderators here for doing an top job of keeping everything under control, that being said - a trial by media is totally wrong as well and that just adds more fuel to a raging fire with the very real risk of burning innocent people.

As I said in previous posts, right now ~ there is two sides of the argument and both sides are neither right...or wrong. Some people just hate Vic that much or have had negative experiences and want to use that as a weapon and right now is the perfect time to strike, hence everything coming to a head right now, then you have people who are siding with Vic like myself, who haven't seen anything mentioned from other people, both on a personal level or a staffer level - that being said, I'm keeping an open mind but ultimately as I mentioned, problems like this should be treated as an opportunity for conventions to look at rules and make changes so everyone is protected.

I'm not giving Vic a free pass either, but listen - Conventions are a unique environment, great stuff happens...and bad stuff happens - How many times do you hear about con orgies or con one night stands? I myself have been asked several times if I wanted to fool around, and politely declined not to mention, multiple incidents where I felt degraded or even as far as feeling unsafe, including one time that turned out to be a really funny story if a little embarrassing, the point is~ So much goes on at conventions, the good and the bad - people get wild, especially throw in alcohol and the con high. Special guests should act professionally but lets face it, they are people too and mistakes happen, I still think too many people are being judge and jury for Vic's past mistakes especially now where you literally can't tell fact from fiction.

Let us all learn from this and do better
BottyProductio1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Anyway...posting back because some VAs on Twitter now as someone posted are starting to make their comments on Vic.

Monica Rial just sort of made a statement: https://twitter.com/Rialisms/status/1091128709208260609
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
With all due respect.That isn't what Victim Blaming means. You can't just throw buzz words to make a point.

Victim blaming occurs when the victim of a crime or any wrongful act is held entirely or partially at fault for the harm that befell them. - Google.

Alright, then. Guess I need to be more specific. Here's what you said. First, dismissing the idea that there could have been anything wrong with what Vic did:

darksharingan wrote:
Seriously? To these people a peck and a hug is an act of malice? Has nothing to do with the welcoming and happy atmosphere in the occasions where people do such things and act a little more chummy with one another?

Second, your only negative comment about anyone involved--directed at the victims, and using the standard talking point of "why didn't they tell an authority figure right away" which is generally meant to imply that they made up or exaggerated the incident long after it supposedly occurred (confirmed by your followup comment that you "have doubts" because "every reaction is the same"):

darksharingan wrote:
And if they were 'violated' why didn't they complain to the head staff or the police? Nope, they go to social media.... YEARS LATER in some cases!

So, yes, I'm going to stand by my original claim that this is victim-blaming. (Strictly speaking, this is going a step further, by doing that and denying that the bad thing could have happened at all and/or that if it did it wasn't a big deal, but those arguments often appear together.) That phrase does get thrown around a bit too much sometimes, but that's because it's a real thing that people frequently do, often unintentionally. And, of course, none of what I'm saying proves that all of their stories about him are 100% accurate; but it's not a good look for the pro-Vic side of this discussion, because it comes off as trying to dismiss their claims without having to ever consider taking them seriously.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
BottyProductio1 wrote:
Anyway...posting back because some VAs on Twitter now as someone posted are starting to make their comments on Vic.

Monica Rial just sort of made a statement: https://twitter.com/Rialisms/status/1091128709208260609

eeeeyeah, I noticed that more VAs are bringing attention to this and subtly speaking about things. Strap in, people, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
eeeeyeah, I noticed that more VAs are bringing attention to this and subtly speaking about things. Strap in, people, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

"Where were you when The Anime Voice Actor War started?"
Sakurie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:
I've been monitoring the events of this article all night long here on ANN, Youtube, and Reddit, and it's just a mess full of people throwing around speculations, opinions, and hearsay (I heard from X) than what's important - Facts!

Being an ass isn't a crime, if he hurt his reputation at conventions because of it, let them handle it. And I don't think he's homophobic because he didn't want to sign Yaoi fanart. In fact, after the smoke clears, I wouldn't be surprised if all fan arts will be rejected for signing. Anti-Semitism? I don't think so given he worships one. Was him using the word Holocaust Anti-Semistic? No, he's not wrong with it's legitimate definition, it's just poor taste. Perhaps input from the Anti-Defamation League could bring light to this.

Pedophilia and Sexual Assaults. Right now I'm not convinced, all I see is an overenthusiastic affectionate guy that gets caught in the moment due to his fanbase. Is it creepy him kissing without consent? Yes. And after today, I wouldn't be surprised Cons and other events will restrict access with fans outside of Q&As and Autograph events. Right now, I feel is that Vic should give out an honest apology for the unsolicited kisses. If he groped these young women, well that's serious and for the Court of Law to decide.

After today, the Anime Community will never be the same.

ANN: I'm hearing that a picture was used without permission and put out of context. And I saw nothing about you attempting to contact Vic to get his viewpoint. If you're honest journalists, you would do so. Real Journalists find the Truth, not take sides.

Honestly at the end of the day everyone has already picked their side. There those who are going to chalk it up as misunderstandings and change will now take place for the better. There are those that want to destroy his life and his career be ruined or else. The latter stance is what the people of twitter has taken. Its why I avoid twitter. It seems the commentators of AAN have take similar stances.

I'm of the same opinion. I've met Vic three times and each of those he just seemed like an overly enthusiastic guy who wanted to please his fans. As someone who works in the Justice system I've not seen any hard evidence either - especially as all the pics used in this "article" where consensual (and there's 100's of those on Instagram as well) so unless he's taken to court and proved guilty of what people have accused him of I'm leaning on the side of innocent until proven guilty with this one.
Arking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
On an article that's very intent is to throw into question consent in fandom I find it in incredibly poor taste that ANN not only admits to the open misrepresentation of context regarding one of its photosets but also the lack of follow through with getting permission from the individuals portrayed. I'd hope ANN would amend the article to provide context regarding said photos to prevent further harm s the person's whom were identified and came forward to clarify that they did not provide them for use in an article. To conceal their lack of concern regarding misusing the photos under the guise of free use is a rather sad and upsetting line given the intent of this article as a whole.

If you want to preach consent and do it right amend the article to give context under the images and apologize to the person's whom you've used as an example of Vic's behavior Come on your better than this
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I want to provide some clarity for the two most recent comments in case there was a misunderstanding.

Sakurie wrote:
especially as all the pics used in this "article" where consensual

This is incorrect. The first five photos in this article were given to me directly by my sources and belong to the italicized stories of individuals where consent was not granted.

"The photos were used without permission."

The sources that include the first five photos OKed the use of the pictures personally, including the level obscuring used, although I further obscured them later as precaution. I have those conversations on hand where consent was given to use them for this article.

The three photos below were shared with the fan club and/or publicly on Twitter. I updated the article to better illustrate their purpose for inclusion here and where they were posted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 pm Reply with quote
So is this ANN's first official smear article? Good luck getting him back on the podcast. Or any other voice actors for that matter...
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Uh yeah, when it comes to sex, anything other than an enthusiastic "yes" is a no.

That is patently false. Say your spouse really wants to have sex quite badly, but you don't. Whether because you're feeling tired, or sick, or depressed, you just aren't in the mood. But you agree to sleep with your spouse anyway because your spouse has had a really stressful day, or it's their birthday, or any number of reasons you might acquiesce. Whatever the reason, you agree, and you do so unenthusiastically. That is not rape.

The way you define consent as something that must be given enthusiastically worries me.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
So is this ANN's first official smear article? Good luck getting him back on the podcast. Or any other voice actors for that matter...

I don’t think anyone wants to touch Vic with a 50 foot pole right now

Though seriously, why did it take anyone to realize this? People have been reporting these sorts of things, along with his atrocious behavior in public that I personally witnessed, and it gets shoved to the side as an anecdote? Most of us have better things to do than to try to ruin the lives of others.

Might be time to start writing people off who have had poor experiences with guests because this thing with Vic is what happens when you allow a predator to go on too long without being addressed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 28