• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses 6 Manga, 3 Novels, Art Book

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, why would any one license the manga for "Do You Love Your Mom?" I bought the first volume based on the various news stories (with much anticipation) but found it easily the worst book I read last year. It was painful to read. The characters was awful, generic arch-types with zero likeability. It didn't come off as a spoof or having fun at all, it seemed like just another really terrible, by-the-numbers other world fantasy novel. I MAY give it one more volume because I hate being the guy to dismiss something so quickly but I can't imagine a manga would be any better but then again, we are getting an anime too so who knows- maybe they did improve upon it. They were starting pretty low.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I am really intrigued by the Polar Bear one. It sounds pretty cool - pun intended - and I am definitely going to check it out when it releases here. Combatants will be Dispatched is like a dumber KonoSuba (same author) so I'll probably enjoy having that one here too - as long as the story doesn't go too far out there. It's biggest flaw is that most of the cast isn't anywhere near as engaging as our group of misfits in KonoSuba.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Novels and manga sound very meh, but I do want that Sword Oratoroa artbook.
Calico

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Is only one of these titles not light novel related at all? At least Phantom Tales of the Night looks like it could be interesting.
alconnow_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
None of these look interesting to me. At least Yen licensed Honda-san.

When will the Kino no Tabi light novels get an English release? Sad
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I swear all these companies are avoiding the "wild last boss appears" series like the plague but they pick up all these "mehs."
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
alconnow_ wrote:
None of these look interesting to me. At least Yen licensed Honda-san.

When will the Kino no Tabi light novels get an English release? Sad

Perhaps Vertical will license them, since they're publishing the manga. The length and/or age of the light novels might be a problem, though...

(And also looking forward to Honda-san ^^)
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Yen Press obviously licenses whatever big boss Kadokawa tells them too, which is whatever anime Kadokawa has in the pipe line. The upcoming Beastars announcenet following the Yen Press english release? Obviously an anime or movie. The licenses are more to promote to Englsh-speaking fans Kadokawa's projects than what fans actually want to read. Kadokawa and Yen Press are extremely profit-driven in that way.

People should realise the trend by now.
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
I don't get the hate in the comments. The LNs announced are pretty good, especially Kimi to Boku and Sentōin, Hakenshimasu!
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
it can not be, Sad I hope at least that the novel of the vampire loli is licensed
Sairin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
The upcoming Beastars announcenet following the Yen Press english release?

It was Viz that got Bestars tho, and that title is very popular.
Not denying that Yen or Viz or Kodansha license things that get what will have an anime, I think it is very clear, especially with the light novels, or Kodansha's manga that go print.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, Phantom Tales of the Night sounds right up my alley. It's been a while since I've read a good episodic supernatural manga.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to buying Combatants Will Be Dispatched!, what I've seen of the manga has been pretty good, it's nice to see the author can use the winning KonoSuba dynamics in creative and interesting ways.

"Do You Love Your Mom's 2hit attacks" struck me as a few pretty funny jokes stretched over way too much story, with a pretty good illustrator for the novels.

I might check out the Danmachi:Sword Oratio art book. I noticed that while the main Danmachi novels' illustrator has pretty good use of color and dynamics, I think I prefer the Sword Oratio novels' artwork more. Better grasp of anatomy, for one thing. It doesn't "pop" quite as much as the main novels, but it does seems more consistent, stronger fundamentals maybe. I could be wrong, just something I wondered when reading the two series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
If Phantom Tales of the Night is anything like Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun's creeptastic surrealism, I am fully on board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1