• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime for Grown-Up Romantics [2019-02-02]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been tempted to wanting to see what Step-Up Love Story is like for a while. But the one barrier keeping me from wanting to even buy it is the rather suggestive cover art of American releases with one of the female characters wearing nothing but an apron. I still live with family members and my sister who still lives with us has two kids now. So don't exactly want them eyeing it and getting an earful from family members over having something really saucy they seen. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Clannad and After Story wasn't on the list. I bawled like a baby, yet loved the story of romance between the two.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Golden Time is pretty good though the amnesia always likes to kick in during the most plot convenient times. I'd recommend Wotakoi if you don't mind an incomplete story. It's funny and has great characters.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Tada Banri is the best Tada Banri to ever Tada Banri and that's about as much of Golden Time I can remember
j_plex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Golden Time and Ah My Goddess are first year in college and packed with shounen tropes so not that different from high school ... the characters are still teens or just barely out of them. Similar could be said for Tatami Galaxy. Maison Ikkoku and Step Up Love Story qualify.

Curious that there were not more about characters well removed from high school and even college. The Great Passage is a good one even if it contains the usual "shy introvert male whose love interest is forced to interact with him via circumstances" trope. Rec is good also ... not as good as The Great Passage but it avoids the common shounen otaku wish fulfillment tropes. Am always on the lookout for shows like those with actual adult leads that avoid the shounen and shoujo tropes.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Yuri!!! On Ice and Recovery of an MMO Junkie qualify for this list with flying colors. Both good shows, the first one is about two guys actually.
Also, Nana has a lot of relationship trouble. It is not kind on its protagonists when they make bad choices in their young adult lives.
And how about Spice and Wolf? One of them looks like a high school girl but is clearly older, so I think Lawrence and Holo qualify!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Emma is the only entry on the list I enjoyed. Couldn't even get through White Album or Golden Time because I hated all the characters, nor Tatami Galaxy because I'm too stupid, I guess.

Re the poll: Genos isn't a robot, he's a cyborg. I think Canti is on the list twice, under the alias TV Set (?). For the life of me, I can't remember what Wonder/Wanda looks like, nor can I seem to find any images online. :/
j_plex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
I'd say Yuri!!! On Ice and Recovery of an MMO Junkie qualify for this list with flying colors. Both good shows, the first one is about two guys actually.
Also, Nana has a lot of relationship trouble. It is not kind on its protagonists when they make bad choices in their young adult lives.
And how about Spice and Wolf? One of them looks like a high school girl but is clearly older, so I think Lawrence and Holo qualify!

Yuri on Ice likely didn't qualify because ... well we all know why. Spice and Wolf because of the non-human thing. On Nana, well if the article is going to include White Album as romance why not.
relena4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
Yuri on Ice likely didn't qualify because ... well we all know why. Spice and Wolf because of the non-human thing. On Nana, well if the article is going to include White Album as romance why not.

Why would that be?

Last edited by relena4 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The deities all take a romantic interest in him,

I never got that sense at all, aside from Peorth having pursued Keiichi for a moment.
Quote:
The 48 volumes spends significant time on the duo's relationship, allowing it grow at a snail's pace while the two "pure-hearted" yet inexperienced characters try to figure out how to physically show their love for one another.

There was technically that revelation toward the story's end where spoiler[Belldandy actually kept Keiichi's sex drive under lock to benefit their cohabitation].

I agree with crazieanimefan1 that Clannad should've deserved a spot!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Couldn't even get through... Tatami Galaxy because I'm too stupid, I guess.

Too stupid to keep up with Watashi's motor-mouth dialogue in the subs? I can imagine that...
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Emma was the only thing I thought of when I saw the title. Can't wait for the blu-ray.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
Yuri on Ice likely didn't qualify because ... well we all know why.

Do you mean because it's two men or because of the sports focus? If the former, I don't think Lynzee of all people has a problem with that...

It's probably just not on the list because she had to limit it to 7 and it makes more sense to pick shows where the romance is the primary or sole focus. I do agree it's probably one of the most romantic anime I can think of that focuses on adults, Spice & Wolf being another one (but you could also say that story focuses beyond romance for most of it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Emma was the only thing I thought of when I saw the title. Can't wait for the blu-ray.

Roger that! --signed, Kickstarter backer

But others on the list, I'm not so sure. It may be my age and life experience, but my tolerance for Takahashi-style stubbornness and stupidity is really low, enough to keep me from trying Maison Ikkoku, though I freely acknowledge it as a classic. spoiler[And don't get me started about the end of Ah! My Goddess--Heaven's smothering of Keiichi's sex drive, with Bell's full awareness, infuriated me to no end. I would have kicked Bell to the curb then and there--but that's not the story Fujishima-sensei was telling. And as a devoted reader, having to wait twenty years to come to that!]

However, I find it sad that Tatami Galaxy is out of print; this is one title I really want to see... Crying or Very sad
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Toya. He is certainly not the second Makoto, but this guy's sociopathicism really annoyed me.

SailorTralfamadore wrote:
j_plex wrote:
Yuri on Ice likely didn't qualify because ... well we all know why.

Do you mean because it's two men or because of the sports focus? If the former, I don't think Lynzee of all people has a problem with that...

It's probably just not on the list because she had to limit it to 7 and it makes more sense to pick shows where the romance is the primary or sole focus. I do agree it's probably one of the most romantic anime I can think of that focuses on adults, Spice & Wolf being another one (but you could also say that story focuses beyond romance for most of it).

As I understand it, the problem is that Yuri don't complete romance about relationships, but rather a sports show with romance as important subplot. As you can see, all the shows mentioned had romance and adult relationships as the main focus of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4