• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animelvr2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
This is so stupid. Vic was just having fun by the looks of it (but getting on his back was a litttle much.) I met him once at a convention and he was nothing but nice. I really like his voice acting too. I hope he gets his roles back. Sad

Last edited by Animelvr2 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
Neil Kaplan's take was just... a piggy back ride? Seems a bit of gasping at straws now.

Doesn't matter its video proof of unwanted attention and is what matters in this situation.

If you read Neil's tweets, he talks about Vic's crotch being against his neck. That's a pretty big boundary violation, especially when you consider that they didn't previously know each other. Yeesh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SailorTralfamadore"][quote="sailorsweeper"]
Quote:

If you read Neil's tweets, he talks about Vic's crotch being against his neck. That's a pretty big boundary violation, especially when you consider that they didn't previously know each other. Yeesh.

I know and it went beyond boundaries. I was pointing out that Neil had video proof which is very important here.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
@sailorsweeper Yeah my disagreement was with the person you were quoting, not you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Ah ok
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Gator Gamer wrote:
Really? D.C. Douglas? That guy filmed women going to the bathroom in a public restroom. I don't want to hear any moral grandstanding from that dude.

WTF? Do you have a source for that?

Yeah, I'm sure he's got the wrong guy. I know of a famous singer who opened a restaurant and set up a hidden camera in the women's room, but his name escapes me.
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
MHAFMAB wrote:
How bad is it in the VA industry that Kaplan couldn't tell Vic not to mount him like WTF. At the same time I don't feel bad for Kaplan he would rather be treated
Like crap than speak up. By the way I don't condone Vic Mignogna for his behavior.

It's almost like Kaplan was concerned about his career and did not trust Vic to be a professional about it and not abuse his station. He made a call just like everyone else who has a story about someone with power abusing said power because he did not believe he was in a position where his voice mattered.

Anyway, Kaplan's story is by far the worst and he was VERY frank about his feelings toward Vic, even calling out Vic's apology as "crocodile tears." And it's very clear that the cracks are showing with more VAs giving their opinions in either subtle or frank manners. This is no longer a story that can be swept under the floor

I understand what your saying but at what point does your job become more important than your dignity or your own comfort. It seems that if it wasn't for someone else pointing out right that Vic is this type of person he never would have spoke up. I don't know every time I here stories like these it bothers me, I personally could not let someone treat me like that just for job.
carefreejules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Animelvr2 wrote:
This is so stupid. Vic was just having fun by the looks of it (but getting on his back was a litttle much.) I met him once at a convention and he was nothing but nice. I really like his voice acting too. I hope he gets his roles back. Sad

I don't think you quite understand the sheer gravity of trauma that someone can experience when they're being treated in a way that they didn't give consent to. I'm sure there are people who've had positive experiences like you did, but that doesn't negate the amount of testimonies and accounts of people who've experience uncomfortable gestures by him.

Kindness doesn't give anyone a free pass to keep doing uncomfortable things to people just because it didn't happen to you.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

https://twitter.com/LLawliet901/status/1092319499448209410

SailorTralfamadore wrote:

But that's what a piggy back ride is. It's impossible for your butt or crotch not to be touching someone. It's like me saying since a woman's breasts always press into you when they hug you, any time a woman hugged Vic it was basically him touching their breasts. It wasn't the intention of the gesture and he knows it, but he's trying to frame it as some sinister molestation play that anyone with common sense should be able to tell the difference between.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Vanadise wrote:
Gator Gamer wrote:
Really? D.C. Douglas? That guy filmed women going to the bathroom in a public restroom. I don't want to hear any moral grandstanding from that dude.

Yeah, I'm sure he's got the wrong guy. I know of a famous singer who opened a restaurant and set up a hidden camera in the women's room, but his name escapes me.

I got the video right here and its disgusting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LLawliet901/status/1092319499448209410
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Rooster Teeth drew first blood. I wasn't expecting that, props to them.

I have to wonder how much effect this will have on VIc's other roles. RT, while they do not explicitly make traditional anime shows but are more into anime-inspired shows like RWBY, is very popular in the community. Will major anime dubbing companies like Funimation express similar sentiments at a later date? Since a number of his Funimation co-workers have expressed their opinions, there may be negative feelings in the workplace...
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
shit is getting serious.And don't forget other ongoing roles like Dragon Ball(Broly),One Piece(Sabo),Free(Rin),Bungo Stray Dogs(Ranpo),Jojo(Rohan).Dude is going to take quite a hit,even bigger than Scott Freeman despite him having done worse stuff and actually going to jail.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I suspect we'll be seeing more statements like RT's coming out in the next few days. The allegations being levied against Vic have pretty much finished his career in this space.
Animelvr2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think you quite understand the sheer gravity of trauma that someone can experience when they're being treated in a way that they didn't give consent to. I'm sure there are people who've had positive experiences like you did, but that doesn't negate the amount of testimonies and accounts of people who've experience uncomfortable gestures by him.

Kindness doesn't give anyone a free pass to keep doing uncomfortable things to people just because it didn't happen to you.

No, I do understand this situation and the trauma very well. But in the video I don't think Vic planned "Hey, I'll jump on this guy's back and traumatize him forever!" Was it right? No. Was he just doing it to be funny? Probably.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Funimation shouldn’t have cast him in so many roles. There were rumors about Vic for a long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13