• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Maybe Funimation shouldn’t have cast him in so many roles. There were rumors about Vic for a long time.

Ok 1. Your post when paired with your profile pic is hilarious. Kudos. 2. At the time they were just rumors. I don't think they were going blacklist the guy after what, at the time, was only speculation. Plus he also did a bunch of stuff for Bang Zoom as well. Dude was all over the place.
piebaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But that's what a piggy back ride is. It's impossible for your butt or crotch not to be touching someone. It's like me saying since a woman's breasts always press into you when they hug you, any time a woman hugged Vic it was basically him touching their breasts. It wasn't the intention of the gesture and he knows it, but he's trying to frame it as some sinister molestation play that anyone with common sense should be able to tell the difference between.

He also said that he didn’t know Vic previously. So it was basically a stranger invading your space and rubbing his junk against your neck without your consent.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Oof. Didn't think anything would actually happen. Rip Vic I guess.

It's entirely possible that Vic's actions didn't have any malicious intent and that he's just a naïve dude with no sense of personal space. That's a rather optimistic read of it, but it's not unlikely. The fact that he's doing all these things *very openly* in front of cameras and video recorders lends credence to that, like he has no idea he's doing anything that could be interpreted in a bad way.

That being said though, if that is the case, guy needs to realize what "boundaries" are, that people could legitimately be made very uncomfortable by a (more or less) total stranger getting up close and personal with them. All that's needed is a sincere apology and some real self-reflection, but that he's very clearly choosing not to do any of that is a very bad look for him.

That in combination with the *other* unsavory things about Vic, like his nasty temper and his apparent homophobia, even though I think it's a bit silly that not liking a ship is enough for people to throw that label around (although if there are other examples, feel free to share), makes it difficult to feel sorry for him.

Was never all that fond of him as a VA. The only thing he's ever done that even somewhat impressed me off the top of my head is Broly, to the point I still can't believe it's actually him, so personally it's not much of a loss on my end.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know that being a creepy mother****er and a complete asshole for more than a decade actually carries consequences, even though it's all happening much later than it should have. Good riddance.

Last edited by Top Gun on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, can we get a better voice actor for Rohan in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
carefreejules

Animelvr2 wrote:
Quote:
I don't think you quite understand the sheer gravity of trauma that someone can experience when they're being treated in a way that they didn't give consent to. I'm sure there are people who've had positive experiences like you did, but that doesn't negate the amount of testimonies and accounts of people who've experience uncomfortable gestures by him.

Kindness doesn't give anyone a free pass to keep doing uncomfortable things to people just because it didn't happen to you.

No, I do understand this situation and the trauma very well. But in the video I don't think Vic planned "Hey, I'll jump on this guy's back and traumatize him forever!" Was it right? No. Was he just doing it to be funny? Probably.

If he was doing it because he thought it was funny, then fine. But, how is the other person supposed to know that? Be the better person and apologize to the person you've made uncomfortable so both of you can ease the tension. And let's assume he did apologize; immediate forgiveness isn't guaranteed and doesn't get rid of the trauma. Chalk it up to classic misunderstanding, but in no situation should you ever put your hands on someone (to a stranger no less) even if you're trying to be funny. That's the main take-away from this specific account. There are other ways to be funny!

I personally don't think he should get his roles back because of the tension, but if he knows what he did was wrong and will become a better person for it, then he should get a chance to prove it - but it unfortunately takes time to gain the trust after there have been allegations against you for years. I believe that everyone deserves a second-chance but most of the time, you just have to prove it.

Also, this next bit is not towards you but just the general thread of messages that I'm seeing:

I don't think we have a say in how someone is supposed to feel based on how we would feel in the situation. We don't have that experience they had of being shocked and caught off guard when someone suddenly climbs on top of you because you are knowingly imagining it. Knowing what's going to happen and being surprised by it are going to illicit two totally different reactions. Context matters.
milkyy

I remember being in middle school and reading things about him on forums and such, rumors of him being a little "extra" friendly and hugging girls really tight for a long time, etc. to the point where they were obviously uncomfortable. I don't have a source for this, I just remember reading stories on various sites. I had a little? bit of a crush on him after watching FMA and OHSHC as I liked both Tamaki and Edward and I was younger, lol
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Mass cancellations at conventions are also happening.
https://animecons.com/guests/bio/517/vic-mignogna
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote
That's in the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

What, and force myself to come up with a better original nickname than "Vic Manga-ka"?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

His performance as Rohan fits the character quite well IMO but if he does gets fired for this then that’s that then.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
MHAFMAB wrote:
I understand what your saying but at what point does your job become more important than your dignity or your own comfort.

For a lot of people, risking one's job just isn't a possibility. I've had jobs I've hated so much that I've considered killing myself rather than going to work. And I wasn't comfortable enough with anyone in management to bring up any problems I had, because I was afraid I'd lose my job.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 pm Reply with quote
While this isn't the first time an American VA has basically been blacklisted (anyone remember Illich Guardiola? He married a 16-year-old in 2014), I just feel like it's so rare. Seiyuu get blacklisted for doing drugs every now and then, even alleged rumor of it can be enough, but it takes the cries of thousands to get anyone to pay attention to American VAs, which is pretty sad (of course, it's not just American VAs, but American anything, as evidenced by the #MeToo movement). But hopefully in the future, if we'll keep actually listening to survivors instead of dismissing them (not just in this industry, obviously), this sort of stuff will get nipped in the bud way sooner. I don't care what consenting adults do behind closed doors, but acting like an acceptable human being in public is clearly something that should be a requirement to be in public for a voice actor at a convention (especially one likely to be adored by underage fans, which is probably going to be a lot of VAs). Of course, some people are just scum to begin with, so they should let Vic be the message that this kind of behavior won't be tolerated any longer. I'm thrilled that RT has taken the first step on this, hopefully, it shan't be the last.
Good riddance.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Huh. That's gonna hurt RWBY -- Qrow's a major character these days, and it's hard to imagine someone else stepping in seamlessly, or the character not getting axed when they weren't planning to do so.

I don't follow VAs very carefully so the recent allegations against him are the first time I'm coming to recognize his name. Unwelcome kissing/embracing and piggy-back rides are certainly not OK, and it sounds like he seems more than a little too comfortable invading other peoples' personal space, but I'm also a little shocked that the anger towards him has become so powerful if that's as far as the allegations go.

Edit: I had forgotten the Pridemore allegation -- that one's obviously quite a lot more severe, though seemingly unresolved and for some reason not focal. And the giving-out-his-phone-number example is a cut above in disconcertingly poor judgment. Still, the rest of the examples seem rather mundane - individually unpleasant and worrying in their sheer quantity, but taken individually none really sticks out as appalling in any sense.
RedZ1900

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, just look how creepy Vic is being in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7kOT3NWiM&t=
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13